Somewhat New 04 WRX

This is a discussion on Somewhat New 04 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sup guys. I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now. I just bought a 2004 WRX with 38K ...

Somewhat New 04 WRX

Sup guys. I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now. I just bought a 2004 WRX with 38K miles on it for a sweet price back in late December (somewhat of a xmas present to myself). It was not modded at all, and everything is in perfect condition. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the car before I start buying new parts, and this forum has been a great help. I think its always a good thing to know as much as you can before you jump into a project.

That being said, I am new to turbo cars, but not to turbines I'm a mechanical engineering major and I currently have an internship doing steam turbine design (for powerplants). The turbines I'm designing are just a little bit bigger...

So far all I've done to it is a K&N short ram to make the spool up a little quicker, and the sound is sweeeeet. I am looking to eventually get to stg 2 with the rex, but that is probably at least a year away. I'm thinking about getting the accessport with my tax return. Thank you uncle sam!

Just wanted to finally say hi, and thanks for all the info. keep it up guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Congrats! The Accessport is a great choice. You can start at stage 1, then go to 2 when your budget allows.

Stage 1 = smoother and more drivable - not much noticeable power.

Stage 2 = Much noticeable power.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome! Take a moment to explore the answers links in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

welcome
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    RPI student?

I graduated in '99.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    RPI student?

I graduated in '99.
    Nope, Penn State. I'm interning with GE Energy up in Schenectady. I'm here till mid-May, so if any people want to meet up for a cruise or something I'm down.

This is the first car I will be working on, but since I'm only 20 and it is my daily driver I need to do stuff that is affordable and are very low risk for (catastrophic) failure. That being said, once I get the AP, is the only difference between stock and stg 1 just an increase in boost?

And, anyone selling a v2 for a 2004 wrx?

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer View Post
    Nope, Penn State. I'm interning with GE Energy up in Schenectady. I'm here till mid-May, so if any people want to meet up for a cruise or something I'm down.

This is the first car I will be working on, but since I'm only 20 and it is my daily driver I need to do stuff that is affordable and are very low risk for (catastrophic) failure. That being said, once I get the AP, is the only difference between stock and stg 1 just an increase in boost?

Totally off topic.... but I gotta ask.

Have you seen a show on A&E called "Paranormal State"? Do you know those guys? Are they for real?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Totally off topic.... but I gotta ask.

Have you seen a show on A&E called "Paranormal State"? Do you know those guys? Are they for real?
    Haha funny you should ask...

I actually work for the professional theatre on campus, and we happened to get contracted to work the Paranormal Conference. I, unfortunately, had to work 2 of the 4 nights, the last being when they debuted the first episode of Paranormal State.

Needless to say, I thought it was all complete garbage. I tried to not listen as best I could, but it was hard to completely block it out. After each night, we had "ghost tours" of the theatre because it is supposedly haunted by the ghost of a dead president of PSU. Now, I've been working there for 2 years and have been in every single room/corridor, and I can say I haven't ever seen or heard anything. But, we had two people be pushed backwards because they felt a presence. Lame.

So on the night they debuted the episode, they had an after party at a local party place to "meet the cast of Paranormal State." Everyone that was at the conference was invited, so naturally all of us that worked that night (plus about 10 friends) decided to show up. Turns out they had an open bar and lots of booze so we call got drunk and ended up crashing their party. I just tried to find a pic with the main guy Ryan, but I can't find one. I'll look when I get home

Cliffnotes: The show/conference was stupid. I/We got angry at the people. We crashed their party.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer View Post
    That being said, once I get the AP, is the only difference between stock and stg 1 just an increase in boost?

Stage 1 add smoothness and driveability in the lower RPMs as well as a bit more power up higher.

A v1 is the same as a v2 performance-wise.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer
    I'm here till mid-May, so if any people want to meet up for a cruise or something I'm down.
    Welcome.

I set up a dinner meet down in Binghamton for this Saturday. You're more than welcome to attend. There's more info on the CNYSubarus forum. I probably have to go down to work on some stuff with some friends from college beforehand, but there's a few of us from Albany who will be going (I know of at least 1) - I may get out of the whole work thing and then we can all caravan down.

I'm also researching leads on good twisties around Albany trying to find the ones I like the best before setting up a meet here. Make sure you sign up for UNYSOC - that'd be your best bet for Albany meets.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-06-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hello and welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Welcome.

I set up a dinner meet down in Binghamton for this Saturday. You're more than welcome to attend. There's more info on the CNYSubarus forum. I probably have to go down to work on some stuff with some friends from college beforehand, but there's a few of us from Albany who will be going (I know of at least 1) - I may get out of the whole work thing and then we can all caravan down.

I'm also researching leads on good twisties around Albany trying to find the ones I like the best before setting up a meet here. Make sure you sign up for UNYSOC - that'd be your best bet for Albany meets.
    Hey man, thanks for the invite. Turns out I was crazy busy this past weekend. I just signed up on that other forum, and I'll keep my eyes open for some nice roads while I'm up here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer
    Hey man, thanks for the invite. Turns out I was crazy busy this past weekend. I just signed up on that other forum, and I'll keep my eyes open for some nice roads while I'm up here.
    23rd/24th I'm going out to Syracuse to join the CNYSubarus winter drive. If you're interested in a caravan (a few other people from UNYSOC will probably attend as well), let me know.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC