Somewhat new!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Somewhat new! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on this site a few months back asking a few questions about the 06/07 wrx's. Got what I ...

Somewhat new!

I was on this site a few months back asking a few questions about the 06/07 wrx's. Got what I needed but parents shot my idea right down. Now the idea is coming back to the top . I have been having loads of trouble with my current car. A VW Passat Tons of problems and little things just keep building up. So my question is, if I buy a used un-modified wrx how reliable would it be in a way of buying from somewhat a conservative driver. I am looking for an 04-07. I would look for earlier years but the bug eyes aren't for me. My car I would be lucky to get $8,000 for it and most 04 and newer WRX's are around 16-17. I no longer have a job and most of the money from that has gone into my car. Not from modifications, but maintenance. I've had trouble getting a job lately since school conflicts with everything and people only need full time employees. So I'm thinking if I work something out to get the extra money to get a wrx with my parents, how could I be sure not to buy into a car thats going to need maintenance. Like what major maintenance repairs are common and around what mileage. I'm looking at subarus because I'm moving up north in the fall and want the awd from hills and snow. My dad is somewhat partial to the wagons, they're not bad but I prefer the sedans.

TL;DR: How do I not get ripped off and what major maintenance repairs are required and around what mileage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A stock subaru that has been cared for is very reliable. Alot of people have even been stage 2 around 80k or more, with no problems.

Look to see if the car has the factory downpipe heat sheild, and make sure it has not been hacked up. Also look for splices in the vaccuum lines. Any kind of dress up, under the hood, exterior, or interior.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Where are you moving to? With all this global warming garbage snow is not what it used to be like it certain areas.

I'm moving to Upstate New York. Morrisviile in the fall and possibly Syracuse for the summer.

So if I buy a car with around 40,000 I should be good and drive conservatively how long should it last me for?

My 02 Passat with 96,000 is almost shot and don't want to have another unreliable car until I'm out of college. I'm glad I got around to getting on forums and looking and doing TONS more research for this purchase than my other. Common problems have made me drop half of my account balance into my car. Just want to do the most research I can possibly do. Test drove the cars and got general knowledge of the cars from the dealer. Also, should I buy from a dealer or private seller?

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
    I'm moving to Upstate New York. Morrisviile in the fall and possibly Syracuse for the summer.

So if I buy a car with around 40,000 I should be good and drive conservatively how long should it last me for?

a stock well taken car of wrx will last for 150,000 miles easy, that is about 75,000 more miles than the passat will last.

as long as you do the scheduled maintenance
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

My 02 Passat with 96,000 is almost shot and don't want to have another unreliable car until I'm out of college. I'm glad I got around to getting on forums and looking and doing TONS more research for this purchase than my other. Common problems have made me drop half of my account balance into my car. Just want to do the most research I can possibly do. Test drove the cars and got general knowledge of the cars from the dealer. Also, should I buy from a dealer or private seller?
    If you buy an unmodified 40k car, it should last you for a VERY long time. You said yourself that your a conservative driver, and as long as the car has been cared for properly, you should no problems passing the 150,000 mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

have you ever spent a winter in upstate NY? morrisville is like the north pole. you will need All Wheel Drive and snow tires to be safe FWD will get owned on the hills.

two words you should get used to, Lake Effect.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

You could even go 200k+ I have seen articles at my suby dealer. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Maintainance done when called for, not beating the heck out of it. Common sence stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    have you ever spent a winter in upstate NY? morrisville is like the north pole. you will need All Wheel Drive and snow tires to be safe FWD will get owned on the hills.

two words you should get used to, Lake Effect.
    I used to live in Lafayette. and family was in Nedrow/Syracuse and still are.

I was just up in Morrisville last week actually. Our rental car, the failure of a car called a Ford Taurus didn't seem to handle very well nor did it like the fact that going up a hill required you to floor it to stay at a steady speed. I just don't want to move up there and inevitably have my Passat break down. Even though I drive conservatively, I don't mind hearing the turbo spool every once in awhile

I think I found an in to buying one of these. One thing I haven't been able to find was common problems. On my current car there are many common problems. Windows motors, Coil Pack failure, crappy transmission after 75,000, MAF failure. Just a bunch of things, big and little. Any common known problems like that on 04-07 WRX's?I definitely want a manual too so any clutch issues as well and I don't plan on modding it for awhile besides from suspension.

Also anyone know someone selling a WRX around Central Florida that hasn't been beaten?

I think I found an in to buying one of these. One thing I haven't been able to find was common problems. On my current car there are many common problems. Windows motors, Coil Pack failure, crappy transmission after 75,000, MAF failure. Just a bunch of things, big and little. Any common known problems like that on 04-07 WRX's?I definitely want a manual too so any clutch issues as well and I don't plan on modding it for awhile besides from suspension.
    the occurrence of failures on stuff like that is far less in a subaru.

'04 STi with 43,000 miles for $23,000, good deal?

'04 STi with 43,000 miles for $23,000, good deal?
    as long as it doesnt have a bunch of crappy mods YES

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.