zup anyone! i need help! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

This is a discussion on zup anyone! i need help! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wreckless06si shouldnt be a problem with those upgrades! Yeah, but the damn firebird's got happy juice and ...

  1. #16
    Registered User tepawrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    brentwood
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckless06si View Post
    shouldnt be a problem with those upgrades!
    Yeah, but the damn firebird's got happy juice and the civic a K20! tough competition, don't you agree?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz New Mexico
    Posts
    5,742
    Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    I got my STI with a CAI and CBE...so a custome map would be mandatory..If your rex is stock the AP gives a stage 1 map with no mods..plug and play. The AP has lots of maps, none of them are compatable with my CAI and stuff so it depends...
    take the CAI intake off that is the way to make your car faster...
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

  4. #18
    Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz New Mexico
    Posts
    5,742
    Quote Originally Posted by tepawrx View Post
    Yeah, but the damn firebird's got happy juice and the civic a K20! tough competition, don't you agree?

    dont worry about that, You want to worry about your car lasting and holding value

    you do not want to be left with a car you have put 30 thousand dollars into that is only worth 8 thousand.


    get a TBE exhaust and a Cobb acessport, install them and run the OTS stageII map.

    then get a FMIC, Injectors, a new turbo FP green or Vf 39, and a new fuel pump. maybe an oil catch can and have them all installed then get a protune. the Protune and all the new mods should be done on at the same time,
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

  5. #19
    Registered User etshulda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    take the CAI intake off that is the way to make your car faster...
    That would be the plan. I'm not interested in going faster (springs are gonna be the first mod), and I really like the sound of the CAI and I get lots of compliments on the sound.

  6. #20
    Registered User tepawrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    brentwood
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    take the CAI intake off that is the way to make your car faster...
    ??? CAI... does that mean the cold air intake... by taking it off would make the car faster?

  7. #21
    Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz New Mexico
    Posts
    5,742
    Quote Originally Posted by tepawrx View Post
    ??? CAI... does that mean the cold air intake... by taking it off would make the car faster?
    yes because he does not have the supporting mods for CAI.


    Quote Originally Posted by etshulda View Post
    That would be the plan. I'm not interested in going faster (springs are gonna be the first mod), and I really like the sound of the CAI and I get lots of compliments on the sound.

    As long as you dont get any CEL's, do you?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

  8. #22
    Registered User etshulda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Posts
    609
    As long as you dont get any CEL's, do you?

    I got one when my cruise control was set the day after I got the car. I reset the ecu and it's been fine for 6 months now.

  9. #23
    Geriatric Ginger Mod Rogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    behind the wheel
    Posts
    8,188
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tepawrx View Post
    Yeah, after installing all those parts i was gonna get a turbo upgrade... I was looking at the Turbonetic GT-k 550, or maybe a garret gt62-1... but is there anything that someone may recomend?
    Welcome to the club, mate..

    But, I have to ask... do you have the slightest clue, how BIG either of those are? you'd be extremely displeased with those, as they are HUGE. I had a 60-1 on a 2.3L motor, and it spooled way slow, even with a .63 A/R turbine housing.

    Turbo Model: GT-K 550 Turbo
    HP61 Compressor Size
    2.403" Compressor Wheel
    0.70 Compressor A/R
    0.63 Turbine A/R
    R1131 Turbine Wheel


    Turbo model: 62-1
    Compressor Trim:
    Compressor Inducer: 2.441 (Minor Diameter)
    Compressor Exducer:3.000 (Major Diameter)
    Turbine Exducer: 2.071 (Minor Diameter)
    Turbine Inducer: 2.922 (Major Diameter)
    Turbine Trim: N (smallest T4 trim from Turbonetics)
    Compressor Diameter Average: 2.7205

    I've got a 62-1 on the Integra GSR, 2.0L stroker, and I get 15psi @ 5500.. Granted, the teg spins to 9K, but this turbo would be useless on the lesser-revving boxer motor..

    UNLESS, you're fully built, $15-20K motor and don't DD the car.

    for recommendations, a GT30, MAYBE a 35 at most.. To be worthwhile, and cost effective, while retaining functionality of the car, go with something in the 40-45lb/min flow-range, and stay in the .48-.63 AR turbine housing. try to stay below a .60AR compressor, too. It'll help in the long run.


    Again, this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Rogan; 02-01-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

  10. #24
    Registered User tepawrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    brentwood
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Welcome to the club, mate..

    But, I have to ask... do you have the slightest clue, how BIG either of those are? you'd be extremely displeased with those, as they are HUGE. I had a 60-1 on a 2.3L motor, and it spooled way slow, even with a .63 A/R turbine housing.

    .
    Yeah, i know they are really big. The thing is that I got this dilema. I like looks as well as performance. I was thinking that on the future either upgrading to STI block or sleeving my block and going for a lower compression to boost more on it. You are right tho, the damn car will be barely making the turbo spin till around 2 or 3rd gear... but I think about it and i say that it would look impressive opening my hood and seeing a big o turbo. My friend was telling me about the GT-k 350... or the garrett gr35r. I know, i should just go for a smaller turbo tho... Thanks for your tips and research... i appriciate it!

  11. #25
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tepawrx View Post
    Yeah, i know they are really big. The thing is that I got this dilema. I like looks as well as performance. I was thinking that on the future either upgrading to STI block or sleeving my block and going for a lower compression to boost more on it. You are right tho, the damn car will be barely making the turbo spin till around 2 or 3rd gear... but I think about it and i say that it would look impressive opening my hood and seeing a big o turbo. My friend was telling me about the GT-k 350... or the garrett gr35r. I know, i should just go for a smaller turbo tho... Thanks for your tips and research... i appriciate it!
    I can't imagine spending that kind of money to slow my car down... To each his own..

    How would the turbo be easily visible under the hood? Would you mount it somewhere other than where the stock one is?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  12. #26
    Geriatric Ginger Mod Rogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    behind the wheel
    Posts
    8,188
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tepawrx View Post
    Yeah, i know they are really big. The thing is that I got this dilema. I like looks as well as performance. I was thinking that on the future either upgrading to STI block or sleeving my block and going for a lower compression to boost more on it. You are right tho, the damn car will be barely making the turbo spin till around 2 or 3rd gear... but I think about it and i say that it would look impressive opening my hood and seeing a big o turbo. My friend was telling me about the GT-k 350... or the garrett gr35r. I know, i should just go for a smaller turbo tho... Thanks for your tips and research... i appriciate it!
    I'm not trying to be an arse, but I've highlighted the things you need more education on, in your above statement..


    for the fun-factor, I have a GT32. About the same physical size as a GT35.. It's even on a rotated uppipe... Looks huge, doesn't it? Oh wait, you can still barely see it..



    You really need to do a ton of research. I learned a lot, but by crash-course, when my motor blew up.. More boost <=> more power.. well, it does, to an extent. VOLUME is key. 15psi @ 25 lb/min vs. 15psi @ 48 lb/min is significantly different. I run 15psi (soon will be 20psi) at 45lb/min on 9.5:1 CR. Your's is around 8:1-ish.. It's all in the build. Ant it doesn't come cheap. I did a huge amount of my own work, and still spending. I've got way more than I'd care to mention, in dollars, tied up in my engine. But, it's all relative to what you want as an end result.
    I've been doing this kinda stuff for better than..., well, let's just say ALOT of years.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

  13. #27
    Registered User etshulda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Posts
    609
    >>drooling

  14. #28
    Registered User tepawrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    brentwood
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post

    for the fun-factor, I have a GT32. About the same physical size as a GT35.. It's even on a rotated uppipe... Looks huge, doesn't it? Oh wait, you can still barely see it..
    I get the point and exactly what you mean... but to start, I've spent last month over 6 grand just on looks. and this week about 2 grand in aftermaket parts for the engine... things like cusco headers, hks downpipe n exhaust... some more here and there... I own a shop and and do custom paint, on my industry i have to base what i do on looks and not so much about performance. I'm not sure if im making myself clear, but the bulkiest the things look, the most customers i attract to my business. I am not a mechanic, I just try to make cars look different doing experimental bodywork. But yeah, my turbo would be really visible, cause i can actually make pipes here. The idea was to mount the turbo somewhere on top or where it sits now and where the top mount cooler is now.
    Come on... give me a break, This is my first wrx... I'll get better with time. Messing up is how you learn!

  15. #29
    Geriatric Ginger Mod Rogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    behind the wheel
    Posts
    8,188
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tepawrx View Post
    I get the point and exactly what you mean... but to start, I've spent last month over 6 grand just on looks. and this week about 2 grand in aftermaket parts for the engine... things like cusco headers, hks downpipe n exhaust... some more here and there... I own a shop and and do custom paint, on my industry i have to base what i do on looks and not so much about performance. I'm not sure if im making myself clear,
    Honestly, no you weren't. There are many new members here, that come in, and start frothing at the keyboard, with all the same things you have said, but for reasons later determined, to impress their friends, rather than draw business on a local level. I get exactly what you are saying now, having been in/around the automotive industry (autobody, motorsports, etc.) for as long as I have.

    But yeah, my turbo would be really visible, cause i can actually make pipes here. The idea was to mount the turbo somewhere on top or where it sits now and where the top mount cooler is now.
    Come on... give me a break, This is my first wrx... I'll get better with time. Messing up is how you learn!
    hehe.. Believe me when I say, I did give you a break! I usually come down a little harder than that - mostly due to repetition

    Good luck with your dealio.. Go front mount, move the turbo up top, polish the housing, coat the hot-side, use stainless uppipe and downpipes, trick paint the fmic pipes, and bling it out. Build it, and they will spend.


    Me, I'm more function over form.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

  16. #30
    Registered User tepawrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    brentwood
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Go front mount, move the turbo up top, polish the housing, coat the hot-side, use stainless uppipe and downpipes, trick paint the fmic pipes, and bling it out. Build it, and they will spend.

    From past experieces, that is what i learned. For the greatest percentage of customers, its more about the looks rather than the performance. When i pull into places where they meet they come and surround my car asking me a whole bunch of questions that they don't even know the answers to. I just clearly tell them what my thing is and hand them my business card. I get alot of customers that way. But trust me, I like performance too, My project wrx is kinda fun, and here I've learned lots of things I didn't know. I've been working on cars since i was 15, 10 years older i learned alot more... life is a school!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •