soon to be new to subaru, have questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on soon to be new to subaru, have questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey, i am new to this forum, and new to subaru, and i have some questions first i was wondering ...

soon to be new to subaru, have questions

hey, i am new to this forum, and new to subaru, and i have some questions

first i was wondering what the differences are between a wrx and sti, since i will be getting an 06 or 07 wrx and would like to make it ultimately faster than a sti.

other questions as i remember them, i cant remember them now.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome, for previously asked questions you can right click the search tab and open in new window and ask away.

For exact specs on the differences goto www.subaru.com and compare models

For the most part they both both an the 2.5 motor, wrx has around 227 hp and sti near 300. STi had a 6spd rather than the wrx's 5spd. Also has ungraded interior. A few others things.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

IMO just buy the STi and keep it stock or mod it. Alot easier and cheaper to start off with the STi instead of dumping money into a WRX trying to make it "better" than an STi
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Welcome, for previously asked questions you can right click the search tab and open in new window and ask away.

For exact specs on the differences goto www.subaru.com and compare models

For the most part they both both an the 2.5 motor, wrx has around 227 hp and sti near 300. STi had a 6spd rather than the wrx's 5spd. Also has ungraded interior. A few others things.
    STi has less impressive interior than a high-end WRX, unless you can find an STi "limited" - of which there were only 800 made in 2007. My WRX wagon has leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc etc...
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    STi has less impressive interior than a high-end WRX, unless you can find an STi "limited" - of which there were only 800 made in 2007. My WRX wagon has leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc etc...
    To each his own, some people see the black/blue interior as unique and fun. Others see it as extreme and young. So with that, the STi has an extreme interior, and yes the STi limited as no outragoes spoiler and has a calm but yet very nice, leather interior. The wrx's have a thatched black cloth.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Wink sti wrx difference

well the sti has about 60 more hp than the wrx and a 6 speed tranny and a kool diff that you can change the setting on how much power you want to the back and front like 50/50 or 60/40 whatever but i belive that you spend alot more than you need to on the sti its like 10 grand more for the sti than for the wrx and you can make the wrx like an sti for about 5 grand thats what i did with my old wrx i had

i want to get a sti so bad, but the insurance on the wrx will be bad enough, since i will be twenty when i get the car. thats why i am asking for the differences.
    how are the internals different as well?

and what is the stock boost limited to on a wrx?

STI..... is worth its price. Brembo's, BBS, horsepower, 6-speed, stronger transmission/drivetrain, stronger motor. center diff, LSD.....

Yeah you can make a WRX as fast but its going to cost you ultimately more to reach the same benchmark with the same all around performance. That 10 grand difference is there for a reason. At least thats my point of view... don't get me wrong the WRX is still a great car and I'd love to have one but I'm sticking with the STI.

I Would Love To Have The Sti. But I Love My Wrx Although Its No Sti It Still Proforms Well In The Auto-x And It Only Cost Me 11k But Dont Get Me Wrong If I Could I Would Own A Sti

Quote Originally Posted by jrza7x View Post
    well the sti has about 60 more hp than the wrx and a 6 speed tranny and a kool diff that you can change the setting on how much power you want to the back and front like 50/50 or 60/40 whatever but i belive that you spend alot more than you need to on the sti its like 10 grand more for the sti than for the wrx and you can make the wrx like an sti for about 5 grand thats what i did with my old wrx i had
    You will have to put more than 5k into a stock WRX to make it like an STi, a complete 6 speed tranny swap will run close to 5k done the right way, let alone engine suspension and all, if you want an STi buy one dont build one it will cost you more money and more headaches
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    You will have to put more than 5k into a stock WRX to make it like an STi, a complete 6 speed tranny swap will run close to 5k done the right way, let alone engine suspension and all, if you want an STi buy one dont build one it will cost you more money and more headaches
    It depends on what "like an STi" means to the OP...

If you want only the 0-60 and 1/4 performance, I say modding the WRX is a cheaper alternative (if the end-goal is equivalent numbers to stock Sti).

If you are looking for the full experience - ie, brakes/tranny/handling; then I agree, buy the Sti.The cost of mods will be more than the increased insurance for sure.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

i was thinking equivalent:handling power and driveability

Quote Originally Posted by EJ205 View Post
    I Would Love To Have The Sti. But I Love My Wrx Although Its No Sti It Still Proforms Well In The Auto-x And It Only Cost Me 11k But Dont Get Me Wrong If I Could I Would Own A Sti
    Kind of OT, but is there a reason why every word is capitalized?
    Just wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd111 View Post
    Kind of OT, but is there a reason why every word is capitalized?
    Just wondering
    USUALLY ITS CAUSE OF TYPING IN ALL CAPS LIKE I JUST DID.... LETS SEE IF IT WORKS

EDIT* Guess not lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast