2006/07 vs 2008
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006/07 vs 2008 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I am thinking pretty seriously about buying a used 06 wrx with 16000 miles and was wondering what ...

2006/07 vs 2008

Hi all, I am thinking pretty seriously about buying a used 06 wrx with 16000 miles and was wondering what major changes there are between the 06 and 08 model? I know the front clip, telescoping steeringwheel, and fold down rear seat, am I missing anything or is there anything else I should be aware of?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

08 has different hood and intercooler shape. says its supposed to be better but who knows. major suspension changes in 08 i think. Sedan also has dual exhaust.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

I Support ClubWRX
    The 08 is a different chassis. There's an 08 thread with impressions and specs etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Never thought I'd say this, but the vageye is better in every important way, even looks.
    ~Selah

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk79 View Post
    Hi all, I am thinking pretty seriously about buying a used 06 wrx with 16000 miles and was wondering what major changes there are between the 06 and 08 model? I know the front clip, telescoping steeringwheel, and fold down rear seat, am I missing anything or is there anything else I should be aware of?
    I've got an 08 and I too was in the market for an 06/07, but those greedy dealers wouldn't budge (23K for a used vehicle?). Anyhow, test drove both and, though I love the 08 for its high points (smoother ride, power, larger interior space), I secretly wish I'd tried a little harder for an 06. The 06 was confidence inspiring when driven. Something I can't say about the 08. I feel like the 06/07 was a "finished" vehicle while the 08 still needs some trimming before SOA gets it perfect.

Here are the things I've heard/read/seen:
    different turbo, intercooler, intake manifold
    Less turbo lag (though not a huge difference)
    stouter gear box (from legacy?)
    back to sliding 2 piston calipers
    softer tires (205 50 vs 215 45)
    new rear multilink setup (this is unique to the 08 from what I've seen), longer wheel base
    Taller
    no more flared fenders
    Radio controls on steering (w/ premium package)
    cruise control on steering

-Laters

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Never thought I'd say this, but the vageye is better in every important way, even looks.
    have you driven a 2008 5 door? I am guessing probably not. new ones drive better, a lot better interior quality, VDC (not the hinderance some make it out to be), accelerates smoother than any WRX (non STI), better tranny ratio, has better brake feel (and possibly actual stopping distance although I have not found anything to confirm it yet) and makes its hp on about 11.5lbs of boost rather than the prev 13.5 or so (i think).

I have had a Legacy GT and now my 3rd WRX (2003, 05 and now the 08). I loved my 03 and thought my 05 was ok. The hawk eyes were better mechanically than the others, but still didnt like it more than my bugeye. and after having some good seat time in my 08, I think it is the best yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

VDC reallly does a great job i must say, thats really a great adition to the car
    2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 5Doors -5MT - WR Blue Mica - STOCK -

1998.5 Ford Contour SVT - Toreador Red/Midnight Blue - #5912/6535 - MODDED -

http://svt3rivieres.monchar.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Courteau View Post
    VDC reallly does a great job i must say, thats really a great adition to the car
    I have to say I'm not sure how I feel about teh traction control feature in the 08 WRX I checked out before I settled for a bugeye. I wish my 03 had some of the features the 08 had for stereo ipod interface. Didn't bring mine with me to the dealer to try it out so let me know how it is. The dealer was jerking me around on the price and initially tried to get me to lease it untill they ran the numbers and changed their minds.

I do like teh back side on the 5 door better then teh bugeye.
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    03 WRX Wagon - Waiting for warranty to expire
    90 Talon TSi - Sold
    91 Pathfinder - Last legs

After 3 month of winter/snow/ice driving i can tell you that the system is way above all other traction control system that i tried before, i does not just help traction but cornering and general handling in bad weather, really make the car safer IMO

EDIT: canadian models all come Premium with Sirius SAT and if you want the ipod interface you have to disconect the SAT... so i dont have it in my car, just have the AUX IN, which i think have a too low input level
    Last edited by Courteau; 01-28-2008 at 11:35 PM.

After 3 month of winter/snow/ice driving i can tell you that the system is way above all other traction control system that i tried before, i does not just help traction but cornering and general handling in bad weather, really make the car safer IMO

EDIT: canadian models all come Premium with Sirius SAT and if you want the ipod interface you have to disconect the SAT... so i dont have it in my car, just have the AUX IN, which i think have a too low input level
    that's too bad that the level is so low. But the aux in and the 12v power in the armrest was a nice touch IMO. I should have noted that my only previoius experience with traction control was in my little brothers GTP. I'm sure electronic management has advanced since then.
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    90 Talon TSi - Sold

let say generaly if i listen a CD at 25 i will have to put it around 30 to have the same output with my ZEN

let say generaly if i listen a CD at 25 i will have to put it around 30 to have the same output with my ZEN
    They don't have any input level adjustments that you have found?
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    90 Talon TSi - Sold

I think I like a roomier car like the 08, but the dealer up here says they want msrp for their subaru's, 25k. Good luck with your sales numbers buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk79 View Post
    I think I like a roomier car like the 08, but the dealer up here says they want msrp for their subaru's, 25k. Good luck with your sales numbers buddy.
    many dealers will ask MSRP for their new models (subaru and non subaru). It all depends on the area and how many are available in their district. We happen to have way too many new Impreza models in our district so we are letting them go cheap, but some dealers might not be able to get them so they bring more money in their area. it is all supply and demand.

every once in awhile you find a dealer that is just way too proud of their product and will not discount it while competing area dealers are giving good deals on the same models.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Yeah, it's great for normal driving. However, you can alsoturn it off if you want to play around unimpeded - in fresh snow the car is just as easy to drive, but it behaves more like I expect it to without VDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast