2006/07 vs 2008 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2006/07 vs 2008 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have not driven any earlier years, but I did buy an 08 5 door. Moved from a 2 seat ...

I have not driven any earlier years, but I did buy an 08 5 door.

Moved from a 2 seat sports car to the WRX, so I am somewhat over sensitive to shortcomings in the handling and "feel" department.
    And I'm not gonna discuss looks here.

Overall, I think it is a job well done, achieving a competent car to DRIVE and still maintain civility- but I think it needs more roll control, ie. most likely sway bars.

That is my single most likely mod at this point, and I am fairly sure I will do it when weather warms up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Courteau View Post
    VDC reallly does a great job i must say, thats really a great adition to the car
    It's really nice that Subaru has decided to add VDC to the new WRX but did they need to nerf the rear LSD in the process? We already had an open front diff so now they have an open rear diff too. As far as I'm concerned, after pulling that move, it just looks like they replaced one with the other and, personally, I'd rather have the LSD back.

But, it makes no difference to me really, I like my '06 much better and won't be buying a new one anyway.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    It's really nice that Subaru has decided to add VDC to the new WRX but did they need to nerf the rear LSD in the process? We already had an open front diff so now they have an open rear diff too. As far as I'm concerned, after pulling that move, it just looks like they replaced one with the other and, personally, I'd rather have the LSD back.

But, it makes no difference to me really, I like my '06 much better and won't be buying a new one anyway.
    You can even have the VDC in 2.5i, it come standard in the 2.5i Sport in canada (along with the WRX bodykit minus the hood scoop)
    2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 5Doors -5MT - WR Blue Mica - STOCK -

1998.5 Ford Contour SVT - Toreador Red/Midnight Blue - #5912/6535 - MODDED -

http://svt3rivieres.monchar.com/

Like I said, it's really cool that they've added the feature I just don't like the fact that they've decided to remove other features from the car in order to do it. Cost cutting FTW, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmd09 View Post
    I've got an 08 and I too was in the market for an 06/07, but those greedy dealers wouldn't budge (23K for a used vehicle?). Anyhow, test drove both and, though I love the 08 for its high points (smoother ride, power, larger interior space), I secretly wish I'd tried a little harder for an 06. The 06 was confidence inspiring when driven. Something I can't say about the 08. I feel like the 06/07 was a "finished" vehicle while the 08 still needs some trimming before SOA gets it perfect.

Here are the things I've heard/read/seen:
    different turbo, intercooler, intake manifold
    Less turbo lag (though not a huge difference)
    stouter gear box (from legacy?)
    back to sliding 2 piston calipers
    softer tires (205 50 vs 215 45)
    new rear multilink setup (this is unique to the 08 from what I've seen), longer wheel base
    Taller
    no more flared fenders
    Radio controls on steering (w/ premium package)
    cruise control on steering

-Laters
    If you're one of those that !!HATE!! the 08's then don't bother. But if you're like me and you are buying a WRX because of how they drive and because of their potential then go for an 08.

The power off the line is incredible compared to the older WRX's. A decent set of tires and aftermarket shifter and you're sitting pretty.

Not to mention that you also get 3yr/36000mi 24hr roadside assistance.

I have never SEEN another 08WRX where I live and I am always getting looks from people. especially the "younger" people. The older people are surprised that they can't pass some little rice burner in ther $45,000 V8 land yacht.

Also, with the 08's, with a stage II setup you're getting just about the WHP as a stock STI.

Its also nice to be able to turn on/off the traction control system.... I drive with it off since I don't want some invisible co-pilot mucking up my driving technique.
    Last edited by Flanker; 01-31-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    If you're one of those that !!HATE!! the 08's then don't bother. But if you're like me and you are buying a WRX because of how they drive and because of their potential then go for an 08.

The power off the line is incredible compared to the older WRX's. A decent set of tires and aftermarket shifter and you're sitting pretty.

Not to mention that you also get 3yr/36000mi 24hr roadside assistance.

I have never SEEN another 08WRX where I live and I am always getting looks from people. especially the "younger" people. The older people are surprised that they can't pass some little rice burner in ther $45,000 V8 land yacht.

Also, with the 08's, with a stage II setup you're getting just about the WHP as a stock STI.

Its also nice to be able to turn on/off the traction control system.... I drive with it off since I don't want some invisible co-pilot mucking up my driving technique.
    Uh, huh...
    Maybe you should read my post again; dude, I bought the 08!
    One has to recognize things for what they are and what they are not.
    The car is better built than previous years, but it's also not really built like a performance car.
    I've only had the car for ~700 miles and I've already started performance modding. Sub needs to add the option for a "sport" suspension package.

I think it'll take a bit more than a new set of tires and a short shifter to make this car the beast. If you're planning on going to stage II with stock sway bars and struts/springs, good luck getting power to the ground. Maybe that invisible co-pilot can help.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post

I believe having the rear LSD and VDC would be redundant since the VDC would essentially perform the same function.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I believe having the rear LSD and VDC would be redundant since the VDC would essentially perform the same function.
    that is pretty much exactly what SOA said abotu it.

They said the VDC peformed the same function(s) as the LSD and having both in the vehicle would be redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Just to say something on the issue-

I favor features implemented in hardware over software as a rule myself:
    I have driven vehicles with a real LSD and vehicles that had some type of software traction control:

Hardware typically is more predictable and less intrusive.

That said, a system that looks at more parameters than just available traction is more effective than a limited slip diff, as long as it is well implemented. And working properly.

Kinda funny, since I am also a computer hobbyist (=geek in 3 syllables), but I have been wrenching on stuff for a lot longer than I have been messing with computer junk.

But in reality having the VDC and a physical LSD would not only be redundant, but could conceivably limit the VDC system under extremely aggressive driving situations

In truth, if I could trade VDC for a limited slip I would- but not if I had to take an earlier body style.

I'm not a mechanical or electrical engineer so I'm looking for a real answer here:

How does a mechanical LSD, which distributes power to the proper wheels, make a VDC system, which controls wheel spin by using the brakes I think, obsolete?

Maybe I'm wrong on preferring an LSD to electronic gizmos that put on my brakes when I'm pressing on the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk79 View Post
    Hi all, I am thinking pretty seriously about buying a used 06 wrx with 16000 miles and was wondering what major changes there are between the 06 and 08 model? I know the front clip, telescoping steeringwheel, and fold down rear seat, am I missing anything or is there anything else I should be aware of?
    The key fob has a trunk/hatch open button. There's also a handle on the hatch to open it if it's not locked.
    The steering wheel has integrated control buttons for stereo volume/track and cruise control, no cruise on a stick next to the wiper controls like 06/07.
    Much quieter ride.
    Much smoother ride.
    Roof Rack install clips like the WRX sedan I saw last fall, really wish I had that on my 07...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #102

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12