How do I drive slowly?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How do I drive slowly? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've recently bought a 2008 WRX, selling my 2001.5 Passat 1.8T. I'm still learning how to drive the WRX smoothly, ...

How do I drive slowly?

I've recently bought a 2008 WRX, selling my 2001.5 Passat 1.8T. I'm still learning how to drive the WRX smoothly, but my biggest problem is that I often realize that I'm driving far faster than I should - shooting past another vehicle at 50, in a 35 MPH speed limit, or hitting 80 on a 55 mph freeway. Now, it's not that I'm an excitable youngster (I'm old enough to remember when the first vehicle in this class, the Audi Quattro, came out), but it's just too easy to go fast in this thing.

No speeding tickets (except one from a traffic camera) in 30 years of driving - I hope this record lasts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy lighter shoes?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I think we might have all had this problem when we first bought our cars. Once you get the feel for it, you'll get better. If you want to drive "slowly" like you said in the title, you can always keep it out of boost...but wheres the fun in that?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

haha
    I had your same problem.
    The first week I had my car I got pulled over doing 92 in a 55....the worst part is that I didn't even realize it!!!!

In my case, this just goes away with tiime...but what could you expect from a WRX.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    In my case, this just goes away with tiime...but what could you expect from a WRX.
    I've had it for three weeks, just hitting 1100 miles, and I'm getting a little better. I've hit the rev limit a couple of times when pulling away in 1st because it pulls so quickly and effortlessly in that gear. (How many people REALLY keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles? I'm not sure if it's even possible.)

Yes, I didn't mean my comment too seriously, just an indication of how much fun I'm having. When I first bought the vehicle, I was dissapointed that it didn't feel much quicker than my Passat. But the vehicle is deceptively fast - the comes in so smoothly that you don't realize the acceleration, so you can't just the speed by "feel". I'll learn - hopefully before too many tickets.

Buy a Honda!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance- #2121
    Dirty Crew #2121
    New England F4
    "Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."

Quote Originally Posted by Twigman503 View Post
    Buy a Honda!
    +1

why did you buy a WRX if not to go fast lol
    jk
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Quote Originally Posted by Twigman503 View Post
    Buy a Honda!
    There's no need for insults! (Although our other vehicle is a RAV4, but the 260 HP V6 version).

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Observe the Recommended engine break in time like the gospel and you will be rewarded with reliability and complimentary fuel mileage to boot.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

buy a geo, some hondas are fast too (remeber Acura is still honda hahaha)
    Don't wake the sleeper...

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Observe the Recommended engine break in time like the gospel and you will be rewarded with reliability and complimentary fuel mileage to boot.
    With every other vehicle I've bought new in the last few years, the recommendation has been to avoid sustained high RPM, avoid low RPMs that make the engine "lug," to avoid maintaining at a constant RPM, and that it is RECOMMENDED that higher RPMs are used some times. The argument is that modern engines are made to much tighter tolerances than those from even 15 years ago, and that exposing it to a range of demand early is the best option. The recommendation in the WRX manual, of keeping the engine under 4000 RPM for the first 1000 miles, certainly did not fit my experiences.

lol your really asking how to drive slower? if you have trouble going slow do what i did in my honda, install a valentine radar detector, cb radio, and police scanner. i haven't had a ticket in 3 years (my record is 4 tickets in
    one month)

+1 on the radar detector, im gettin one as soon as i have enough cash
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    lol your really asking how to drive slower? if you have trouble going slow do what i did in my honda, install a valentine radar detector, cb radio, and police scanner. i haven't had a ticket in 3 years (my record is 4 tickets in
    one month)
    did you lose your license for that? or did you have just enough points to squeak by.

I just drive the same roads all the time so I know where the traps are, even where they use the helicopter once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonspeed View Post
    did you lose your license for that? or did you have just enough points to squeak by.

I just drive the same roads all the time so I know where the traps are, even where they use the helicopter once a year.
    very very close i paid 2grand in lawyer fees to keep it. he was able to get two tickets off my record

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast