New Rex owner today! How did I do
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Rex owner today! How did I do within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I have had my 2002 wrx for about 6 hours now and so far its all good hehehe... ...

New Rex owner today! How did I do

Hey all,

I have had my 2002 wrx for about 6 hours now and so far its all good hehehe...

So I am new to this site and so far really liking what I am reading. I owned and 325ix before and loved the awd feeling so here I am with a wrx. If I can please get your feedback on the following I would greatly appreciate it but before here's some info about the car:

2002 WRX, 91500 miles, purchase price $10997. Paint looks practically brand new minus a couple of minor scratches and spots. Car shifts and drives great and has lots of power but most of all its a one owner and it has IMMACULATE service records at all the recommended intervals, I got that info from carfax and dealer where the car was serviced.

My questions:
    How did I do on the price?
    The used car dealership offered me a third party warranty (3 years @ $1575 and 38k miles, covers turbo as well) should I get it? There's a two year option for only $100 less.

Any feedback is much appreciated here!
    Last edited by WRXWes; 01-22-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: forgot somethign

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club

I'd say thats a pretty good price. Cars with about the same miles have been going for 12-13k in my area.

thanks! any feedback on the warranty question? i have read on this site that the 02's have weaker transmissions than others..should i worry about that and should i get the warranty?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Congrats on your WRX and welcome to the forums. I guess the warranty thing would kind of depend on whether you plan on modding it or not.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

no plans to mod..over that..at least for now

I picked mine up for a little more than that 12.5 but had less miles 80xxx... I think you did very well. As far as the warranty goes, I personally went with it. Within 2 weeks, the plastic tank on the top of my radiator cracked and the car over heated quickly while I wasn't looking... finally noticed but not before more damage had been done. Had the radiator, head gasket, water pump, heater core, thermo all replaced with all work and parts covered. Warranty already payed for itself. Then again, you might get it and never use it...

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Warranties are piece-of-mind gambling, in essence.

I've never bought an extended warranty, but I also take very good care of my cars and am alert to any change in it's performance. Most issues with cars that cost major $ are due to folks not picking up the clues that something is about to go and repairing it before it does go, and causes additional damage.

If you drive a lot of miles, I wouldn't get it. If you don't, it's a decent deal. 3 years of coverage is pretty good. 38K of coverage isn't (imho).

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

If you dont launch it like you stole it and just take it easy and get on it every once in awhile I wouldnt worry. One thing you should do though if you want to do some mild mods is bigger top mount Intercooler to reduce intake temps on your older motor and id get a catless uppipe, last thing you want is it disinagrating into your turbo. Those two things should get you around 20-25hp/tq and a quicker spool for the turbo, also if you dont want to buy an uppipe you can gut the current one. Turboback exhaust will reduce some back pressure as well. Tranny should be fine just dont launch hard or shift real hard. Engine with good care should last 170-190k miles. Congratz on the new car, be safe out there.
    2008 WRX Pearl White

if u can afford the warranty i would totally get it. its like a condom... its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. i have a 5 year 100k warranty on my 07 and i love the piece of mind.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello there and welcome to the CLUB.

On the price, Good Price! And on the warranty? well, if you plan on modding the car, No. If you have no desire on modding and just having it stock for awhile, then yes. I'd get it. But I knew from the start when i bought mine that the warranty wasnt for me. mod bug bit me.... And i've had the sickness ever since...
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats, greetings and welcome to the club!

I would and did not opt for the extended warranty. So far so good. I have added certain … enhancements that may or may not make any difference.

As stated is reassuring to have an extended warranty. Keep in mind they are a cash cow for dealerships (they always come out ahaead).
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-23-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I appreciate all the feedback..so i guess for the warranty, like everything else is a matter of personal preference..i have a week to make up my mind..i might do a cheaper 1 year warranty..we'll see..

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    See if you can get the dealer to knock the price down on the warranty,many will deal.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI on warranties and modding. Some purchased extended warranties (gold, platinum, etc) provide coverage even for modified cars, but these can be hard to find and are certainly not cheap. I'm not sure about the Subaru extended warranty. If you are planning on modding, just ask them if the extended warranty will cover any damages from the mods. If they say yes, make sure it is in writing.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast