Questions for the 04-05 owners - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions for the 04-05 owners within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; From what I have read these cars do respond well to mods. And from what I gathered the first best ...

From what I have read these cars do respond well to mods. And
    from what I gathered the first best mods to do would be downpipe
    and cobb accessport as you guys said. I had a friend who had a
    04 WRX I believe and he told me to get the STI or dont get one. Due
    to the tranny being weak. How much hp is it able to take? I hope to learn
    a good amount about motor since im a Honda guy thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry too much about the tranny. They've gotten better over the years. There's a lot of people who are at stage 2 on the stock tranny w/o any problems, including me. Even if you beat on it stock, the tranny might fail. If you treat it good, it will return the favor. It seems like you've done your research here. Good deal.
    I wish more people would use the info that's already on this site instead of asking over & over.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My 2 cents... I prefer the 06/07 look and they have the bigger engine, for what its worth (also, no need for an UP like in previous needs).

When I was looking, used 05s were within $100 of used 06s with similiar miles - a statement that these cars hold value fairly well.

Also - my previous insurance provider was nuts on their price for my WRX. Geico came in at about 1/2 the price of my existing carrier. I live in Vermont where rates are generally cheap though.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by 2K4ex View Post
    Awesome! You guys seem really cool. Ive surfed other car sites and
    some people can be so ignorant it kills me. Thanks for the welcomes,
    the car seems sick I have sat in one but yet to drive it. I have actually
    driven the 2005 RSX-S already at my previous work (Tire Kingdom). And
    wasnt all that impressed, my brothers new 07 civic si 4 door felt faster
    than it. Im really opting my choice as the WRX, maybe i can lean my
    folks into the larger co-sign amount i.e. Sti but who knows.
    the few good STi's I've seen around here ave been 04's that are going for the same as a new WRX. And I believe insurance may be a bit higher on the Sti. I'm 27 year old parent and have a decent record, only 1 major violation in the past 3 years and I'm paying about $140. I would've gone for the Sti, but I really didn't want to swing the payments fo rthe loan and insurance. I would say start with a WRX, build up some credit, then trade it in or sell it to upgrade to an Sti. Your insurance will be cheaper when you're older and Subies seem to retain their value very well if you take care of them

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Also - my previous insurance provider was nuts on their price for my WRX. Geico came in at about 1/2 the price of my existing carrier.
    +1. An STi will be outrageous for insurance, assuming you're under 25.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonspeed View Post
    I would've gone for the Sti, but I really didn't want to swing the payments fo rthe loan and insurance. I would say start with a WRX, build up some credit, then trade it in or sell it to upgrade to an Sti. Your insurance will be cheaper when you're older and Subies seem to retain their value very well if you take care of them
    +1. Welcome Jasonspeed.
    Go Giants!
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Why are you going to trade in your Honda? You're losing a few thousand dollars by doing that versus selling it privately...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Why are you going to trade in your Honda? You're losing a few thousand dollars by doing that versus selling it privately...
    Personally, I know lots of people who went the "sell it themselves" route and eventually went back to just trading it in. If you need the $ for the downpayment, you either have to sell it before-hand (meaning, you don't know when you will be able to buy the car you want - or will have to go some time without a car while you find it) or just trade it in.

I probably lost some $ trading in my car, but I was able to get the exact WRX I wanted...
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    +1. An STi will be outrageous for insurance, assuming you're under 25.
    I live in NJ...I pay $175 a month (before turning 25, just turned it in Dec.) for FULL coverage on an 07 STI. My driving record is horrible too...

I'm with Progressive...

I don't think thats outrageous at all considering other people I know are paying $300+ a month for just a WRX in some parts of NJ...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

i owned a 2005 wrx and am a honda tech.if your looking for speed and go fast the wrx is fun.i had a tuned vf34 and ran a 12.7 on a stock 2.0 block.i can tell you the k series motor will sawp right into your civic and will beat on a wrx from a roll and with bolt on be in the 12s.i have seen it done many of times and your insurance will be lower,car more dependable and cheaper to fix.i say stick with the civic.
    *puts his flame suit on*
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

Quote Originally Posted by 05wrx4U2nv View Post
    i owned a 2005 wrx and am a honda tech.if your looking for speed and go fast the wrx is fun.i had a tuned vf34 and ran a 12.7 on a stock 2.0 block.i can tell you the k series motor will sawp right into your civic and will beat on a wrx from a roll and with bolt on be in the 12s.i have seen it done many of times and your insurance will be lower,car more dependable and cheaper to fix.i say stick with the civic.
    *puts his flame suit on*

It depends on what you want in a car however...the K-series is indeed great engine. I too have seen many fast ones, even turbo'd and supercharged on the stock internals, that last a good amount of time. however if you are looking for a car thats gonna keep its power on the ground and not spin the front wheels into oblivion (generalization, I know thats not the case all the time)...AWD WRX is the way to go.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Personally, I know lots of people who went the "sell it themselves" route and eventually went back to just trading it in. If you need the $ for the downpayment, you either have to sell it before-hand (meaning, you don't know when you will be able to buy the car you want - or will have to go some time without a car while you find it) or just trade it in.

I probably lost some $ trading in my car, but I was able to get the exact WRX I wanted...
    I guess it just takes putting in the effort! It does take a good bit of coordination if you only have 1 car, but I look at it like this: You're getting paid thousands of dollars to do it. I've always been able to work it out though I will admit it wasn't easy all the time.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    Hi! I bought a 2005 WRX new and I love it!! I learned how to drive stick on it. It did verrrry well with how many times I killed it in the beginning! Haha.. If I had known how to drive standard before hand, I would have gotten the STi for sure. I pay around $230 a month and I'm 21 years old. Insurance is expensive, but it's worth it. Subaru parts are expensive and take a while to order. My vehicle is still stock(warranty almost up!), but I'm planning on tuning my exhaust first.

its all in what you want.i say the k20 or 24 with bolt-on and k pro ecu will leave the stg2 wrx in the dust.im a fan of both. i own a honda and subaru.but for alot cheap do the k and you will have alot more fun.you break something its alot cheaper to fix and easier
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

Hey thanks for all the input. I have thought about doing the motor swap
    on my car but it is quite expensive. It might be a little cheaper than the
    WRX but not by much. I have seen people in other civic forums swap the
    05 type-s motor, with new axles, mounts, bolts-ons and labor coming out
    to 15-16k and thats way to much. Plus i cant deal with the vibrations that
    ***** would have too this would have to be a daily driver. In addition to that, at my parents house I believe my dad is in the process of swapping a H22 in a 95 civic coupe so that will solve my dohc vtec craving, which is why I want
    the subaru to solve my boost craving. And cure me of front wheel drive.

Also if I was going to build a car I would love for it to be a Honda if
    I had the money. But for budget I would honestly do a 240, and that
    is why im hooked to boost. I have a buddy who recently did it for
    4500 including the price of the car, motor and installation which isnt
    bad. Granted the car is a 91 its fast as balls, at least to me being a
    civic driver. I just dont know how about getting a loan to do that. Does
    anyone know how to get a loan to build a car?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast