Gas Mileage

This is a discussion on Gas Mileage within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just purchased a used 02 WRX from a local car dealer. I am the second owner (stock) and the car ...

Post Gas Mileage

Just purchased a used 02 WRX from a local car dealer. I am the second owner (stock) and the car has 102k miles on it. Just did a check of the mileage and getting only 13mpg. I know its winter in Chicago and gas gets sucked up but I was hoping to at least double my old cadillac V8. The car is doing short distant trips can I expect to get at least 20mpg?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow absolutly you can do 20mpg on city runs. You may want to start with a tune up. Plugs, air filter, PCV valve, throttle plate cleaning, fuel filter. Make sure your running premium octane fuel as well.

Also are you driving with the gas pedal on the floor? I know i did this when i first got mine, and went through a tank in a day and a half.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Gas Mileage

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Since I do not have the maintenance records of the last owner I am questioning when he did this last. This will be the next thing on my list. I want to do the timing belt and all that goes with it first. I am using premium fuel.

I am being gentle on the car but I do have a 16 year old son that uses the car and you know.

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah a timing belt is a good idea too.
    5spd?

automatic

also you can use our SEARCH engine on the site for anything that you may question and get great results. Heres one for the pcv replacement.DIY: PCV valve replacement (pictures!)

This site has great info from general up keep, to a complete engine rebuild!

I say go to subaru.com and see what the service maintenance is for the car and have it done.

Welcome to the forum. Bug eye FTW

Gas mileage gets pretty ****ty for me in the winter as well. I make lots of short trips everyday. I'm getting maybe 16-18 mpg now.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Welcome to the club! Yeah, definitely get it serviced as you should be getting at least 20 if you are light footed and its well maintained.

Thanks for the info. I have reviewed the maintenance schedule and working at a disadvantage because I do not have the original owner history. My first item will be to replace the timing belt and all necessary items that go with it. My second item will be a complete tune up. Since you guys are very knowledgable on this two questions:

1) what should be done when replacing a timing belt? I heard all belts, water pump, tensioners?? Anything else? seals? coolant?

2) what should be done for a complete tune up? Plugs, fuel filter, air filter??

Thanks for your advice.

Banned
    I have an '02 WRX Wagon, and I have a bike rack on the roof and also mudflaps. I average 24-25 on the highway, and I get about 18-19 just city driving.

Not trying to hijack a thread, just giving you a reference for mileage!!

I average 22mpg

mods are in sig - I regularly get about 300 miles to a tank

I filled up yesterday - tank took 13.57 gallons, and I had 303 miles on the trip odometer.

This is with mixed driving, I have a habit of hitting 80-100 on a daily basis on the way to work, only for a moment usually. I use cruise control at 67mph all the way home. My commute is 33 miles each way, and I work from 3pm-Midnight(which is why I do not speed on the way home).
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals