Hey guys, FNG checking in...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hey guys, FNG checking in... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm a LSx guy at heart, but I got tired of breaking down every other week so I ...

Hey guys, FNG checking in...

Hey guys, I'm a LSx guy at heart, but I got tired of breaking down every other week so I just picked up an 05 STi as a daily driver.

I'm gonna try to keep it close to stock... but we all know how that winds up So I figured I should sign up with a WRX site before I mess something up.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be around (asking some really stupid questions probably), if anyone has any LSx or emissions related questions (day job) feel free to ask, I'll try to return the favor.

-John
    98 Z/28 (381rwhp/374rwtq)
    05 Sti (stock as a rock)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnightSTi View Post
    keep it close to stock...
    Yeah right you just bought one of the most highly modded cars on the planet, good luck with that.

Take time to search the stickies at the top of the forums. You will do well to read those.

I bet its 2 months before we hear about stg 2.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah I know... but the reason I bought the STi was because I already had a highly modded car collecting dust in the garage.

Ahh screw it... I can always buy a Camry when the STi gets to fast right?

05 Sti (stock as a rock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I know... but the reason I bought the STi was because I already had a highly modded car collecting dust in the garage.

Ahh screw it... I can always buy a Camry when the STi gets to fast right?

Stis are never too fast. Even at 400whp they are DD's.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Stis are never too fast. Even at 400whp they are DD's.
    Says you. The friendly officers at the local PD, not to mention my poor bank account would say otherwise lol.
    05 Sti (stock as a rock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Says you. The friendly officers at the local PD, not to mention my poor bank account would say otherwise lol.
    Wouldn't take much to get you at the same power levels if not more than your LS1 and make it much more streetable.

Turbo
    FMIC
    Injectors
    TGV's
    TBE
    Fuel pump & rails
    Protune

and you'd be there and the car would be easily DD.

Look on the bright side, the headers are infinitely easier to change than on the ls1. Just remove the under body skid plate and their they are .

Not to mention the 6spd MT of the STi is proven to over 500whtq. Its an awesome tranny.

Heck in 6 months you might sell the ls1 or part it out.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-14-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

We'll see...

First goals:

-Summer rims and tires.

-De-wing (the former owner already traded the STi wing for the WRX wing, but I just love the look of a wingless STi)

-Get rid of the badges (sorry, but I don't need a sticker to remind me what kind of car I drive)

-Short throw shifter (thinking Cobb)

That'll be enough to start, the power can always come latter... and I'm sure it will.
    05 Sti (stock as a rock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Look into "trunk swapping" there are 2 billion threads on here and every other forum about it, and most the time you can put an add out on craigslist too.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    craigslist=god

Look into "trunk swapping" there are 2 billion threads on here and every other forum about it, and most the time you can put an add out on craigslist too.
    Really? I didnt think there were that many Impeza owners wanting spoilers.
    05 Sti (stock as a rock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Really? I didnt think there were that many Impeza owners wanting spoilers.
    Yup.

Wingless guys want wings, winged guys want wingless. Its a vicious circle.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Any vicious circle that saves me money is fine by me
    05 Sti (stock as a rock)

Wouldn't take much to get you at the same power levels if not more than your LS1 and make it much more streetable.

Turbo
    FMIC
    Injectors
    TGV's
    TBE
    Fuel pump & rails
    Protune

and you'd be there and the car would be easily DD.
    I think it might be stretching it to do all of that and call the car a daily driver. The definition to me of a daily driver that's modified is a car that you've added only enough modifications to so that you've had zero effects (or at least very minimal, any mod is going to affect the car to some extent) on the long-term reliability of the car. With all of those mods, you're definitely taking some miles off the engine, axles, tires, clutch, and a bunch of other stuff.

With that in mind, my STI daily driver will just have a TBE and protune, which should get me to 300+WHP and 320+WTQ, and not do a lot to affect the reliability of the car.

-Summer rims and tires.
    What don't you like about the stock BBS wheels?

-De-wing (the former owner already traded the STi wing for the WRX wing, but I just love the look of a wingless STi)
    Check out the Personal For Sale/Wanted forum, there's always lots of people willing to trade for a winged trunk. You might even be able to get a few bucks in the trade.

-Get rid of the badges (sorry, but I don't need a sticker to remind me what kind of car I drive)
    I agree with you 100&#37; on this one. One big reason I bought my STI was that it had no trunk badges and the low WRX wing instead of the airplane wing. I've removed all but the little STI on the doors and the badge inside the front grill. Those things may be gone at some point too, but I wasn't sure if I wanted it completely debadged so I left just a few things on there.

-Short throw shifter (thinking Cobb)
    Can't go wrong with anything from Cobb as far as I'm concerned. Their stuff is all I'm buying since nobody has anything bad to say about any of it. Their exhaust also maintains the stock look unlike pretty much everything else for the STI that has a big tip. If you go down the exhaust road at some point, I'd recommend the Cobb, or the Borla Hush if you like the twin tip route.

Somehow I doubt your car is going to remain stock for very long. Mine made it 9 months.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What don't you like about the stock BBS wheels?
    The previous owner must have had a second set of winter rims/tires, because thats what was on the car when I bought it lol. Didn't bother me at all since the rims are tastefull, and the tires are Blizzak LM-22's. The stockers probably wound up on ebay.

Check out the Personal For Sale/Wanted forum, there's always lots of people willing to trade for a winged trunk. You might even be able to get a few bucks in the trade.
    Will do.

I agree with you 100% on this one. One big reason I bought my STI was that it had no trunk badges and the low WRX wing instead of the airplane wing. I've removed all but the little STI on the doors and the badge inside the front grill. Those things may be gone at some point too, but I wasn't sure if I wanted it completely debadged so I left just a few things on there.
    I love de-badged cars, my Z/28 had no badges on it at all (more than one stang owner asked me why I wanted to race him in a V6 Camaro... hilarity ensued).

The only badge on the the STi that I'm going to keep is the one in the grill, everything else is getting the boot.

Can't go wrong with anything from Cobb as far as I'm concerned. Their stuff is all I'm buying since nobody has anything bad to say about any of it. Their exhaust also maintains the stock look unlike pretty much everything else for the STI that has a big tip. If you go down the exhaust road at some point, I'd recommend the Cobb, or the Borla Hush if you like the twin tip route.
    I've been thinking about the Cobb catback as well, one of the reasons I bought the STi was because of the sound the boxer makes... like auditory sex

Somehow I doubt your car is going to remain stock for very long. Mine made it 9 months.
    I'll be lucky to make it that long...
    05 Sti (stock as a rock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.