New to Subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, im in a sense new to the site, i have been looking for a WRX for about 8 ...

New to Subaru

Hey everyone, im in a sense new to the site, i have been looking for a WRX for about 8 months and today i just purchased 1 (2003)... i took the advice alot of the veterans have been giving me which is to buy 1 stock... so first off thank you to everyone who has helped me out and has given me some in sight about these cars... secondly, im not looking to go all out because i am using this car as a daily driver, i would however like to make about 260-270 whp... i have been researching the forum for about 2 months now on what first mods would be best to make good power... ive come downt to getting; catless up-pipe, high flow cat up-pipe, turbo back exhaust, electronic boost control (freeby), and turbo timer...

if anyone has a better idea as to what would be better or something that would be just as effective and cost efficiant... i would greatly appreciate it

thank you,
    franklin, aka turtle...
    "Slow & Steady Wins The Race"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome, check the links in my sig - take a look at the one for bugeye owners, that would be you!

Oh and my car makes 280whp/wtq so I guess a vf34 would do it. Just about any upgraded turbo is going to be capable of hitting those numbers, just be mindful of the transmission.

Don't buy a turbo timer, they're a waste of money for our cars due to the fact that our turbos are oil and water cooled and have a properly implemented cooling system in place. So long as heat continues to rise and high pressure flows into low pressure your turbo will cool down properly. Still, most people here would agree it's not a bad idea to go easy for the last few minutes of any drive.
    Last edited by Micah; 01-12-2008 at 01:20 AM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

thank you, is a turbo upgrade necessary?? i was told by someone with an 02 that if i wnt to only make 260 whp, its not something that i would HAVE to do... also, for the trans, because there considered "glass transmissions" what do you suggest i do? i know someoen who has a 6speed and rear for sale, but it has a blown 3rd gear... hes a friend of my brothers and said hed sell it to me for 400 bucks, worth buying and fixing or not???

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle6909 View Post
    thank you, is a turbo upgrade necessary?? i was told by someone with an 02 that if i wnt to only make 260 whp, its not something that i would HAVE to do... also, for the trans, because there considered "glass transmissions" what do you suggest i do? i know someoen who has a 6speed and rear for sale, but it has a blown 3rd gear... hes a friend of my brothers and said hed sell it to me for 400 bucks, worth buying and fixing or not???

thanks again
    Yes, you should pick that trans up for 400. If you don't use it, you could have it rebuilt and sell it to someone else. Pushing the stock turbo to 260whp will be pushing the stock turbo pretty hard. 260 at the crank would be easy, but not to the wheels.

What year STI is the trans from?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

ok, so a turbo upgrade is something to add to the list... truthfully im not sure, im going to try and meet up with the kid on tuesday to take a look at everything he has so ill be able to find out than... about how much would it cost to have the 3rd replaced? im almost affraid to even launch the car with the stock trans because everyone says there horrible...

Hello and welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    Hello and welcome to the club
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.