And old newbie
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on And old newbie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all. I'm introducing myself. I've owned my WRX wagon for quite a while, but haven't been a member here, ...

And old newbie

Hello all. I'm introducing myself. I've owned my WRX wagon for quite a while, but haven't been a member here, nor have I modded anything on it. Uh, I think it's a 2003 - last year of the bugeyes, whatever that was. But it sits in the garage a lot and doesn't get used much. Maybe 5K miles a year. Anyway, I figure it's old enough that now I don't mind modding it. Somehow it bothers me to muck around with a brand new car, but if it's older I don't mind as much.

I don't intend to do any engine mods; it's fast enough for me, and I prefer reliability and dependability over a few 10ths of a second here and there. But I am looking at suspension/wheel/tire/brake mods, since the stock tires are getting thin and should be replaced soon anyway.

From my bit of reading (yep, read the FAQ), it looks like I'll go with 22mm adjustable anti-roll bars front and back, and aftermarket links. Probably keep the stock springs, since the car does need to be used on occasion for highway duty and hauling. Maybe new struts; haven't decided on that one. When I had my Civic Si, I was happy with Tokicos, but I don't know if there's something better for the WRX.

I haven't seen any vendors selling hollow anti-roll bars. The ones I've seen (whiteline, etc.) were all solids. Any recommendations there, or is it a case of 22mm is 22mm, and they're all the same, so why pay for hollows? I am 50 years old, which in my book is way too old to be driving a car that looks like it belongs to my grandson, so generally I will keep it looking stock.

Is the STi Brembo front brake caliper worth it? I see them for about $600 on e-bay, but frankly I haven't run out of brakes and I have driven it pretty hard on a few occasions.

Anyway, I wanted to say hello, say thanks for the site (since it's been useful already), and say that I'm in the DC and WV area if anybody needs assistance with wrenching (I'm not bad in that area).

Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club Tony!

Post a pic of her when you get the chance.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club Tony!

I have 25.4mm (1") hollow Hotchkis bars front and rear. The rear bar is 3-way adjustable; the softest setting is roughly equivalent to a 22mm solid, then 24mm and 26mm.

Forgot to mention ... 46 years old here.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-10-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Hollow Bars

Thanks. From which vender did you get those bars?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcordova View Post
    Thanks. From which vender did you get those bars?
    http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/wrx_base.html

I have the 02-06+ WRX Street Kit

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/suspension/hotchkis_sb.htm
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Are they really worth it? Is the performance noticeable? I am considering this as well..
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.