New here - Doing some reserach before making my next purchase
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New here - Doing some reserach before making my next purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I'm having a difficult time deciding on what I should purchase for my next vehicle. My Husband totalled my ...

New here - Doing some reserach before making my next purchase

Hello, I'm having a difficult time deciding on what I should purchase for my next vehicle. My Husband totalled my pride and joy Saturday night. So now I'm car-less. Well, I do have a 98' Legacy Wagon, but that's simply the 'dog car' and 'snowboarding rig' not my daily driver.

Anyway, I drove an 05' STi yesterday for the first time and was not dissapointed. I'm thinking about buying an 04-05 STi, but also considering an older Audi S4 (having it chipped) or an EVO (though I know nothing about them, yet)

I worked for Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, Ducati & Honda Powersports dealers, Subaru in the past, and Acura, now I'm just a 'stay at home Mom' but I still like to have fun, and I'm not ready to settle into an SUV. My Husband is SCCA guy, and is going on 7-8 years of being an Audi tech. Naturally, if I picked up an S4 I would not need to worry about maintenance as it's my Husbands area of expertise. I grew up with Subarus (previously lived in Tahoe) But as of recent years, I've been very heavy in Hondas.

Anyway, I'm looking for something with decent power delivery, under $25k, and a 4-door (accomodate a carseat at times) I'm almost certain I'd like an STi, but I'm also extremely nitpicky and I like to find one that it immaculate and mint condition. Preferably white, and bone stock (extremely tasteful performance modifications are ok, I just don't want any 2nd rate aftermarket parts jimmy-rigged by a 19 year old)

I'm just trying to get a bit more information on these cars because making the big decision, after all, I'll be keeping it for many years to come.

Hopefully I can get some good advice on here!

Kind Regards,

Nikki

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I'm looking into the regular '03-04 WRX Wagon to be my snowboarding rig/family daily driver because I can't find a decently priced STi and I'm sure they've been beaten fairly hard. I looked at the Audi before I decided on the WRX, but I've heard bad things about them breaking and being expensive to fix. Also being a current DSM driver, I can tell you that Mitsu parts are reasonable as far as pricing and from what I've researched the Scooby is decent for a foreign car.

1.5 months left untill I can retire my DSM to the garage (waiting on the bank and taxes). Yay!

Banned
    To both of you. The two biggest red flags IMO would be BOV's (Blow off valves) or CAI (cold air intakes). These are easy to spot. an other inspection of the heat sheild covering the turbo should weed out a ton of the ass hatery that comes with owning one of these cars. Also finding people in your area to inspect the car or simpley posting it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    To both of you. The two biggest red flags IMO would be BOV's (Blow off valves) or CAI (cold air intakes). These are easy to spot. an other inspection of the heat sheild covering the turbo should weed out a ton of the ass hatery that comes with owning one of these cars. Also finding people in your area to inspect the car or simpley posting it on here.
    The ones I'm looking at are from dealerships, but I have run accross a few deals from private sellers that are tempting. What am I looking for on the heat shield? I've noted that CAI can be problematic especially living in the northern midwest. And I've had BOV douche nozzle issues with my DSM. Anything else to look for. I didi read about heads on the car trashing the whole engine.

Welcome! Glad to see you here!

I LOVE my wrx so I'm slightly biased (hopefully you can see it sooner or later)
    As for finding one under 25k in our area it's probably going to be difficult, but I'll help as much as I can....

Oh, and how the heck did he total the car/what happened?!?!?
    **Katie**
    Love my wagon...

Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking and I've found several for around $22-24, although my goal is under $25k, it's semi negotiable if the right car was just a little more. I just need to see what's out there.

welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.