New 08 WRX owner have a couple Q's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 08 WRX owner have a couple Q's within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am the proud owner of a 08 dark grey WRX sedan. I got it equipped with the grill and ...

New 08 WRX owner have a couple Q's

I am the proud owner of a 08 dark grey WRX sedan. I got it equipped with the grill and short throw. This is my first subaru so I'm not really familiar with how the car is suppose to ride. FYI, I'm coming from a Mustang GT.

1. Is the car suppose to vibrate going 50+? After driving away from the dealership, I hit the highway. I tried not to hit boost at all, gonna baby her until I hit 1k or so. Anyways, when I got up to about 60-65 the car was not smooth at all. The car felt tight but it was like my seat was vibrating.

2. Is the acceleration suppose to hesitate? I didn't slam on the gas at all but I did take her up to 4k or so and it just didn't feel "good." Again, I'm just comparing it to my 03 mustang, which felt very good as it climbed rpms. BTW This is my first turbo car.

In closing let me just say that I love the car. From the forums I know WRX's transmission isn't suppose to be the best but coming from a 5 speed gt, it feels amazing. I'm digging the look of the car (although I do like the 04-05 better), fit and finish is top notch. The stereo is..well its a stock stereo.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brett
    Last edited by blkdragonnx; 01-05-2008 at 10:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

mmm can't relate. I don't really pay attention to the ride quality of my rex. What was going through my mind as i drove away from the dealer was "wow! i have a wrx! everyone look out"

As for acceleration. The gas is delayed just a tad cuz it electronically controled. You don't really feel the pull 'til you get to his rev's unlike v8's. I never drove a mustang before but I drove a Sububan before... even with its weight it pulls pretty hard even at 1.5k rpm's.

Anyways... just wanted to say grats on ur 08 rex.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Hey man thanks for the words. I'm sure that I'm just being paranoid but I figured I'd ask the experts.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

I really don't know what to tell you about vibration at speed... If it concerns you take it bake to the dealer.

The power curve of a turbo 4 cylinder is very different from a V8. The Mustang V8 will have MUCH more low end torque (immediate power). A turbo 4 cylinder "builds" power. It's a little easier to understand, if you look at some dyno graphs. However, it will definitely feel strange to somebody that's used to a V8. It will take a while to get used to it. Usually, people that do grow to really love the wrx more, do so because they grow to love the advantages of the awesome grip coupled with nice power of the WRX.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I picked up an 08 hatch last monday-

no vibration in mine.
    At a rough guess, might want to check tire pressures first, just to make sure they are inflated evenly as this can cause vibration in some cars.
    If that is fine, I'd have it checked.

As for power delivery:

Short story here- my last car was a 94 Mazda Miata. Not much power, but the "feel" of the car was tremendous.
    I did test drive a new Mustang and the power and feel of the car was great, in a way... a "classic muscle car" feel. Not saying that is bad, and I LOVE the power of the engine, but I think you'll find everything else better in the Subaru.
    The power IS there in the WRX though.
    I went from a 126hp normally aspirated 4 cylinder to this one so I may be more sensitized to the delivery of power.
    Right around 2500 rpm it starts picking up considerably, below that- well, there IS power there, but nothing that feels real strong. Small throttle angles and low rpm shifting is often fine for flat roads and traffic (I rarely need to go above 3500 in traffic on secondary roads) so pretty much get out of the power band right after it is coming on strong.

The Mazda did not come INTO its power until about 4500 rpm.
    Of course, a Mustang V8 (even the weaker ones) have gobs of power down at 1500 rpm. Getting used to power delivery that is completely different will be an adjustment, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome to the club!

I really don't know what to tell you about vibration at speed... If it concerns you take it bake to the dealer.

The power curve of a turbo 4 cylinder is very different from a V8. The Mustang V8 will have MUCH more low end torque (immediate power). A turbo 4 cylinder "builds" power. It's a little easier to understand, if you look at some dyno graphs. However, it will definitely feel strange to somebody that's used to a V8. It will take a while to get used to it. Usually, people that do grow to really love the wrx more, do so because they grow to love the advantages of the awesome grip coupled with nice power of the WRX.
    +1

I had a V8 Mustang for a while - the Subaru is no match for the sudden acceleration when you floor the gas. The WRX requires the turbo to spool up before the power hits, so you will experience some lag before the power comes in. If I didn't live in a place with ice and snow for 5 months per year I would have been tempted by GT convertible (the WRX is in a league of it's own in bad weather). I am yet to drive the Subaru in summer but I would imagine that it's fun in a different way to the GT.

Definitely talk to your dealer about the issues you are experiencing, but remember that you are still breaking the car in. When mine was new the engine felt a little rougher than it does now, and the acceleration had a fair amount of hesitation. At 3000km it is minimal, and feels like lag rather than hesitation. The car has always ridden smoothly, but I do have a little bit of vibration in the steering wheel - maybe a wheel is unbalanced, which may be the same problem for you. My salesman suggested that I email him a list of any problems that I find with the car and they'll take a look at the first service - that way I have time to work out if I am just getting used to the car, experiencing a bedding in issue or if something actually needs to be looked at.

Hey all thank you for the replies. I got to put on a few miles today (100+), and I can definitely feel the power. As you guys mentioned, it just hits differently then I'm use to. The car feels awesome 3.5k+. It really is a hoot to drive and smooth as hell.

I need to bring it in this week so that the dealer can put an inspection sticker on it and I think that I'm mention the vibration at highway speeds. Too be honest, I think I'm feeling it more than it really is. It really is just a slight vibration in the steering wheel and seat. Over the course of my internet search for possible leads into it, I stumbled into reviews of the wrx in general and many of the reviews mentioned that the boxer engine has a vibration that runs into the cockpit. I really think that's what I'm feeling because whether I'm going 60 or a faster than that the car still feels the same - solid. Plus, NH doesn't have the best roads in the winter.

Thanks again for the replies. I can't wait to start modding this summer.

You are going to feel a little vibration at 3.5k+ rpm. Technically you are either accelerating, are in the wrong gear or driving 80+ in 5th gear at 3.5k+ rpm.

Accelerating you will probably feel a little vibration in the lower gears.

If you are in 2nd gear or 3rd and should be in fourth you are def going to feel vibrations...

As long as your vibration is slight and minor you should be fine. You should be smooth as butter bet 2-3k rpm except maybe in 2nd. and again... VERY SLIGHT and minor engine vibration. You'll feel it most hand on the shifter nob.

Another possibility, wheel imbalanced? 60mph+ you will feel violent vibration if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by blkdragonnx View Post
    Hey all thank you for the replies. I got to put on a few miles today (100+), and I can definitely feel the power. As you guys mentioned, it just hits differently then I'm use to. The car feels awesome 3.5k+. It really is a hoot to drive and smooth as hell.

I need to bring it in this week so that the dealer can put an inspection sticker on it and I think that I'm mention the vibration at highway speeds. Too be honest, I think I'm feeling it more than it really is. It really is just a slight vibration in the steering wheel and seat. Over the course of my internet search for possible leads into it, I stumbled into reviews of the wrx in general and many of the reviews mentioned that the boxer engine has a vibration that runs into the cockpit. I really think that's what I'm feeling because whether I'm going 60 or a faster than that the car still feels the same - solid. Plus, NH doesn't have the best roads in the winter.

Thanks again for the replies. I can't wait to start modding this summer.
    i know there is a slight vibration when ur on idle due to the nature of the flat engine design but i am not sure in ur case
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

ive ridden in upwards of 15 wrx's and sti's from all years. they all have that little steering wheel shimmy at 65+. not unbalanced tires, just the feel of the road to an extreme.
    "Whatever it takes"

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonwrx1 View Post
    i know there is a slight vibration when ur on idle due to the nature of the flat engine design but i am not sure in ur case
    Actually - the flat engine would provide the smoothest idle of any other engine since all forces are equally opposing themselves. However, Subaru intentionally puts un-even headers on our engines to cause the car to rumble... This forces some level of vibration as well.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Actually - the flat engine would provide the smoothest idle of any other engine since all forces are equally opposing themselves. However, Subaru intentionally puts un-even headers on our engines to cause the car to rumble... This forces some level of vibration as well.
    Thank you for correcting me, i totally forgot about the unequal length header. nice wagon btw
    Last edited by dragonwrx1; 01-07-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

blkdragonx - I just purchased an 08 wrx. As for as the acceleration - I think it takes a while for the computer to learn your driving habbits and break in as well.

I am at 1300 miles and the seems to pull a lot harder, with a bit more low end torque than it did in the beginning.

Give it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwrx05 View Post
    I am at 1300 miles and the seems to pull a lot harder, with a bit more low end torque than it did in the beginning.

Give it some time.
    +1

I would agree... I am at 4500mi on my 08 - I bought it with 57 miles. (I drive ALOT) The motor seems to get stronger as I get away from the break in period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I would agree... I am at 4500mi on my 08 - I bought it with 57 miles. (I drive ALOT) The motor seems to get stronger as I get away from the break in period.
    Agreed. It might just be that I'm really starting to mesh with my car but I'm a few hundred miles over 6,000 in my '08 and it seems as if it's really starting run now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.