New 08 WRX owner have a couple Q's - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New 08 WRX owner have a couple Q's within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What exactly goes on during the break in period? I never really understood the concept. I have a '08 wrx, ...

What exactly goes on during the break in period? I never really understood the concept. I have a '08 wrx, manual transmission- so it isn't like the computer is trying to learn my driving habits.

I started pushing it hard at 2000 miles or so (couldn't resist). I have powershifted a couple times, launched, etc... Maybe a total of an hours worth of intense driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When you buy an American car - it is usual that in the manufacturing process the engine is actually run while in the line, but prior to installation into the car. Evidently, Subaru (and Honda that I know of) doesn't do this and rely on the owner to break the engine in.

This period is so that piston rings get set. Your engine block is a lot like the barrel of a gun, each has it's own "signature" due to variations in manufacturing. Break-in is meant to accomodate these variations slowly. This is why they ask you to not break 4K RPM, and why they want the speed not run at a constant rate.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Update: I put 500 or so miles on the car this week and the vibration is completely gone. I'm not really sure if it was the suspension, drivetrain or just me being paranoid but the car is smooth as butter at highway speeds. It really is a fantastic car to drive. Thanks for all input.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.