Hey, what's up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hey, what's up within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been lurking around as a guest for a while now and i figured i'd join. My name is Dan ...

Talking Hey, what's up

I've been lurking around as a guest for a while now and i figured i'd join.

My name is Dan and I'm 16 years old wanting a 04-05 sti <-- that is the reaction i usually get

No matter what i do i can't afford one

I have $13.5k and still need more. I sold my tv, computer, 360, bmx bike, and whatever else i could.

I am employed at butera supermarket by the chicago subherbs getting paid $7 an hour/$150 a week **cries**

Only 10 more months for the goal of $20.5K, that is if i don't spend a cent. Realistically it is probably a year due to my cellphone.

Been looking at rex's since i was 14. Well it was a Rx-7 at the beginning, but my parents wont let me drive a RWD car as my first, so the subby it is, unfortunately they wont buy me it.

I'll probably be wit all of you in about a year. Then i will need to figure out how to finance insurance, gas, and cell phone from my $600 a month earnings. Hopefully i find some construction work over the summer. I can't afford this car.

Well that's my story.

Glad to be with all you guys. The stories about putting 16 year olds in their places, hitting crubs **w/ feet, and stealing 1000horses then buying $600 worth of rope to get 1000hp for under $600 were great.

I look forward to being w/ you guys.

Donations towards the "Buy Dan a REX" foundation are always open, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM, i have paypal Hopefully the new president will higher the minimum wage, i can't afford anything w/ my paycheck. I lost my 40inch lcdtv, 360, highend bmx bike, and a sweet computer that i built, and after all this suffering, no REX. One last thing, i worked for all those, they wern't bought by my parents, i've been working since 15 and a 1/2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck, and welcome to the club

Don't forget to consider the really high insurance/gas costs of an STi. If I were you, I'd look into just getting a WRX until you're done with college, and then go for the STi when you have a job that pays more (just my $.02)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Lol well realistically youre 16, it sux dude, im 21 almost 22 and i just got my wrx. ive been wanting a supra since i was 14. i will never afford one tho. its hard being 16 because jobs wont hire you for good money because of no experience in anything. its awesome tho you have a goal, and youre going to save your money. you sound dedicated. just like you said tho, make sure you have some money saved up and have finances spread for your subaru maintenance, mods, gas, oil, etc....you dont wanna get the car over extend yourself and have to wind up selling it.

hope you get the car dude, good luck. Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

Don't forget to consider the really high insurance/gas costs of an STi. If I were you, I'd look into just getting a WRX until you're done with college, and then go for the STi when you have a job that pays more (just my $.02)
    yes, i know, i've been researching and budgeting everything for 2 years now. I'm not the average mindless 16 year old.

For insurance i will be under my parents policy, if i don't turn 18 by the time, thus giving me cheaper rates. Then at 18, 21, and 25, aren't those the major insurance milestones?

Gas is insane as it is usually driving my moms SUV. Doesn't help that the subby only takes primum gas *cries

For the cost of the car, i was considering getting it from an auction house w/ a salvage title then repairing it myself. The only bad side is getting a lemon w/ more damage then i saw from the pictures.

Thanks for the hearty welcome.

Damian, mods are totally out of the picture as of right now. Stuggling with the car, insurance, and gas as it is.

If i get a $16 an hour apprentice construction worker job for summer, the picture will change, until then, my dream stays.
    Last edited by IamDK; 01-04-2008 at 07:32 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDK
    For insurance i will be under my parents policy, if i don't turn 18 by the time, thus giving me cheaper rates. Then at 18, 21, and 25, aren't those the major insurance milestones?
    My insurance didn't go down at all when I turned 18 (if it did, it was nothing to write home about), but went down 40&#37; when I turned 21.

I wasn't saying anything against you, but 300hp at age 16 is a bit more than most can handle. The WRX is a fast car, and would probably better suit you. I would hate to see you crash a car you've worked so hard for (I worked 3 jobs pushing 80 hrs/week outside of school from 16-20 to afford my '05) because it was a bit much for you to handle

UNYSOC

My insurance didn't go down at all when I turned 18 (if it did, it was nothing to write home about), but went down 40% when I turned 21.

I wasn't saying anything against you, but 300hp at age 16 is a bit more than most can handle. The WRX is a fast car, and would probably better suit you. I would hate to see you crash a car you've worked so hard for (I worked 3 jobs pushing 80 hrs/week outside of school from 16-20 to afford my '05) because it was a bit much for you to handle
    I should be fine if i don't drive like a maniac. I already drove some fast heavily modded cars.

I learned my lesson litterly ****ting bricks in front of a cop. Pretty long story. Can tell it if anyones interested.

+1 A wrx would be much cheaper to buy, and insure. It would be a better car for you like he said, i would listen to him. And about handling the power, everyone says they can but yet a lot can't and thats when things go bad. Just driving a fast car or whatever isnt really what he was talking about, its experience and it takes time. Anyone can think they're ready but not everyone is. It isnt about driving like a maniac or anything either, it only takes one mistake.

You can always improve the performance of a wrx too.
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by apex32
    +1 A wrx would be much cheaper to buy, and insure. It would be a better car for you like he said, i would listen to him. And about handling the power, everyone says they can but yet a lot can't and thats when things go bad. Just driving a fast car or whatever isnt really what he was talking about, its experience and it takes time. Anyone can think they're ready but not everyone is. It isnt about driving like a maniac or anything either, it only takes one mistake.

You can always improve the performance of a wrx too.
    STi is a great car, and I haven't regretted my purchase a single day.

I don't want to talk you out of your dream car or anything, but get more driving experience on something a little less expensive (a WRX is no slouch), and then go for the STi. Insurance at 16 on an STi would probably run you $3000-4000/year (even under your parents) - that's $10/day. Use the money you'd save with a more reasonable car to buy your STi later on that is in perfect shape (don't buy a salvage).
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-04-2008 at 08:03 PM.

UNYSOC

STi is a great car, and I haven't regretted my purchase a single day.

I don't want to talk you out of your dream car or anything, but get more driving experience on something a little less expensive (a WRX is no slouch), and then go for the STi. Insurance at 16 on an STi would probably run you $3000-4000/year (even under your parents) - that's $10/day. Use the money you'd save with a more reasonable car to buy your STi later on that is in perfect shape (don't buy a salvage).
    from that other thread, i thought it was closer to like 5k-7k? And im sure you dont regret buying it lol but its a bit much @ 16.
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by apex32
    from that other thread, i thought it was closer to like 5k-7k? And im sure you dont regret buying it lol but its a bit much @ 16.
    I would find it hard to believe it would be below what I said (conservative guess). More than that, makes the decision even more outrageous. At $10/day to insure (regardless if you drive your car or not) seems to be like throwing money down the drain. Throw cost of oil ($55 for an oil change), gas, and other routine maintenance, it'd add up fast.

Before you buy your dream car, be SURE you're going to be able to keep it. There'd be nothing worse than finally getting it and finding out you can't afford the car, or you can't handle the car, and get your dream cut short.

UNYSOC

I would find it hard to believe it would be below what I said (conservative guess). More than that, makes the decision even more outrageous. At $10/day to insure (regardless if you drive your car or not) seems to be like throwing money down the drain. Throw cost of oil ($55 for an oil change), gas, and other routine maintenance, it'd add up fast.

Before you buy your dream car, be SURE you're going to be able to keep it. There'd be nothing worse than finally getting it and finding out you can't afford the car, or you can't handle the car, and get your dream cut short.
    yea, you guys are right. Right now I just gotta work on getting my summer construction job

Yearly insurance rates should be $1000 for liability only, and $2400 full coverage for a normal WRX, i havn't asked about the STi yet.

Salvage isn't as bad as it seems, there's just a big risk on what car you get.

My dad got a 06 Tacoma that has the backseats and extened cab w/ 3000 miles for 12K, then the repair and the safety inspection cost him 4k. He also got my moms suv for cheap, i think it was $13k as the complete price and it has leather, navigation, the works. Both cars run fine to this date. No problems with them, well if tire and oil changes count as problems, the cars had those.

Salvage isn't that bad, it just hurts your resell value and a big risk if you get a lemon.

It gets me in this predicament, a clean title wrx is 14k, close to what i have to give, a salvage tittle STI should also be around 14k.

You guys offer great advice, thanks for all of it, but i am not worried about my purchase yet. I have to get the money for the car first.

In the meanwhile im getting experience on my parents car, so if it ever came down to the STI, i'll be more comfortable driving.
    Last edited by IamDK; 01-04-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Welcome to the club.

The funny thing is that the STi is much more potent than any of the RX-7's three generations. The 1st gen did the 1/4 mile in 17.1@80.5mph and the twin turbo 3rd gen did 13.6@102mph. Nice predictable good handling RWD cars.

Subaru's AWD is very good and confidence inspiring and the limits are high, but...

Good luck with you goal, but consider that you could do an early RX-7 now and if your parents are worried about driving in snow just have a second set of snow tyres. It might be worth revisiting.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

If all you're looking for is the power of an STI, get a WRX and just mod it. I know you said modding was out of the question but think like this:

I bought a WRX, drove around for a few months getting used to it and then started modding it. Spent about $2k and now I am faster then a Stage 1 STI.

You buy a WRX, get used to the power it has, then when you have saved money you can look at some power mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

thanks again everybody for the warm welcome

Today i got $153.07 towards my car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast