View Poll Results: Good Purchase?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 73.68%
  • No

5 26.32%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to Purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys this is my first post...I'm coming from the Lexus IS300 tuning world and wanted an opinion on the ...

Looking to Purchase

Hey guys this is my first post...I'm coming from the Lexus IS300 tuning world and wanted an opinion on the car I'm looking to purchase some time next week. Please provide some feedback, it would be appreciated.

Well I think I may have found my new baby... Buying this from a guy named Justin Wesley here in Denver, CO. No engine mods, which is a plus, just a re-mapped ecu that squeezes an extra psi of boost out of the turbo.

-$18,500
    -Less than 40,000 Miles
    -Full STI 6 speed transmission and drivetrain -Brand new Exedy Stage One clutch
    -Brembo front 4 piston calipers w/ 13in rotors (STI)
    -Brembo 2 piston rear calipers (STI)
    -STI suspension
    -STI headlights (HID)
    -STI exhaust
    -Stock catless up-pipe
    -Helix downpipe
    -Cobb tuning Accesport
    -17in Rota Tarmac II bronze wheels
    -Hankook snow tires ( 75% tread left)
    -Intercooler watersprayer kit
    -Two Blaupunkt 10in subs
    -Jensen 600w amp
    -Tinted windows

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    05? Personally I feel it is far to much money.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers View Post
    05? Personally I feel it is far to much money.
    Really? I figure he's put at least $5000 worth of modifications into the car...

Quote Originally Posted by sdfontanini View Post
    Really? I figure he's put at least $5000 worth of modifications into the car...
    Which hurts the value.
    2006 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it a wrx or sti?

If its a Wrx, it has waaaay more than $5000 into it. $5g's accounts for the tranny alone.

Looks like a nice ride
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers View Post
    Which hurts the value.
    Well I know there's been a lot of issues with the WRX transmissions. Especially for 1st and 2nd gears. I figure getting a WRX with an STI Transmission will be a nice insurance to this car.

Plus with the STI suspension, and full STI exhaust. I'm not exactly sure what you mean in regards to this reducing the value of the car. I think it increases it, if anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I know there's been a lot of issues with the WRX transmissions. Especially for 1st and 2nd gears. I figure getting a WRX with an STI Transmission will be a nice insurance to this car.

Plus with the STI suspension, and full STI exhaust. I'm not exactly sure what you mean in regards to this reducing the value of the car. I think it increases it, if anything.
    If all that is swapped onto a WRX, I'd estimate $10,000-$15,000 worth of mods.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Is it a wrx or sti?

If its a Wrx, it has waaaay more than $5000 into it. $5g's accounts for the tranny alone.

Looks like a nice ride
    It's a WRX not an STI, but it has an STI 6 Speed Transmission, New Clutch, STI Suspension, and STI full exhaust, up-pipe and down pipe and back. And lastly he has a full Brembo Brake setup with Braided steel lines.

It's a one owner car, and has been babied since day one. I don't think I'm going to find a better car for this price...

I wouldn't pay extra for a car with those upgrades unless it was a grade-a STi. Does he have all the paper that goes along with the work for the upgrades? Who knows who did the work and what quality it is. Unless he has all the paperwork, I wouldn't gamble on it.
    2007 OBP WRX TR
    Modless till summer

Quote Originally Posted by krex View Post
    I wouldn't pay extra for a car with those upgrades unless it was a grade-a STi. Does he have all the paper that goes along with the work for the upgrades? Who knows who did the work and what quality it is. Unless he has all the paperwork, I wouldn't gamble on it.
    He's had all the work done at a local Subaru Shop. Everything's been installed at the dealership. The guy selling the car is very honest and is completely legit.

I also wanted some idea on the exhaust and passing emissions.

He's got a cat-less up-pipe and down pipe. I'm going to replace the downpipe for emission testing, which includes a visual of course and a sniffer. Will I pass emissions with just the two cat down pipe?

Thanks,

- Steve
    Last edited by sdfontanini; 01-04-2008 at 08:41 AM.

STI transmission had just as many problems.

As far decreasing value goes. Mods make the value go down because it makes the car less reliable, and most likely the car has been ragged on.

EDIT: and your paying $18,500 for a 04 or 05 with 40k miles. I paid $18,000 for my stock 06 a month ago with less than 20k. Your choice.
    Last edited by Death To Ricers; 01-04-2008 at 08:41 AM.
    2006 WRX

He's had all the work done at a local Subaru Shop. Everything's been installed at the dealership. The guy selling the car is very honest and is completely legit.
    You seem like you're gonna get the car, and knew so before you posted. Please don't ask my opinion if you are gonna just debunk it anyways. You asked for peoples' opinions and I gave mine. Please take it into consideration at least.

I don't deny that he is honest and whatnot, I'm not there to make the call. You asked, I gave.
    2007 OBP WRX TR
    Modless till summer

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think I'm going to find a better car for this price...
    Its doubtful you'll find a better value swapped parts wise. Even if the 2.0l was going bad, the sti tranny and brake swap makes it worth it.

Give you an idea:

-Full STI 6 speed transmission and drivetrain -Brand new Exedy Stage One clutch -----$5000-$7000
    -Brembo front 4 piston calipers w/ 13in rotors (STI) ---- $1000-$2000
    -Brembo 2 piston rear calipers (STI) ----- $500-$1000
    -STI suspension ---- depends which suspension Sti Pinks or stock sti? Stock Sti $250---pinks $700ish
    -STI headlights (HID) ---- OEM not Aftermarket = $500-$1000
    -STI exhaust --- stock? meh.
    -Stock catless up-pipe --- $50
    -Helix downpipe --- $200
    -Cobb tuning Accesport--- $300-$700
    -17in Rota Tarmac II bronze wheels---- $700
    -Hankook snow tires ( 75% tread left)

If you plan on doin many of these mods yourself and consider that an 05 wrx with nothing done to it is between $15,000-$17,000..... I'd say its a steal.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Oh well what would I know, It's not like I did this for a living. . . Oh wait. . .
    2006 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by krex View Post
    You seem like you're gonna get the car, and knew so before you posted. Please don't ask my opinion if you are gonna just debunk it anyways. You asked for peoples' opinions and I gave mine. Please take it into consideration at least.

I don't deny that he is honest and whatnot, I'm not there to make the call. You asked, I gave.
    I appreciate all your advice. I really do. I guess I was convinced that the WRX transmissions had too many issues, and this looked like a good thing. I'll reconsider this and possibly just look for a base WRX with no mods at all.

I just figured if a Subaru dealer did all the installs this would be fool proof. and a definate step up from the stock WRX....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast