Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 73.68%
  • No

5 26.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to Purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by sdfontanini I appreciate all your advice. I really do. I guess I was convinced that the WRX ...

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdfontanini View Post
    I appreciate all your advice. I really do. I guess I was convinced that the WRX transmissions had too many issues, and this looked like a good thing. I'll reconsider this and possibly just look for a base WRX with no mods at all.

I just figured if a Subaru dealer did all the installs this would be fool proof. and a definate step up from the stock WRX....
    I know you might be excited, but some of us really do know what we are talking about. The transmission mods he made were pretty much pointless, unless he was planning or crazy engine mods. There is a reason the WRX came with it's transmission and a reason the STI came with it's transmission.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers View Post
    Oh well what would I know, It's not like I did this for a living. . . Oh wait. . .
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definately reconsider this. Like I said I'm new to the WRX, so any advice is good advice.

I appreciate all your help. What would be a good asking price for this ride in your opinion?

- Steve

I appreciate all your advice. I really do. I guess I was convinced that the WRX transmissions had too many issues, and this looked like a good thing. I'll reconsider this and possibly just look for a base WRX with no mods at all.

I just figured if a Subaru dealer did all the installs this would be fool proof. and a definate step up from the stock WRX....

It definitely is a step up, thats not what I'm arguing. See the thing is, I don't trust other people with doing work on my car, let alone a stealership. If I were to aim to have this on my car, I would do it a) myself, so I know who to blame if it goes wrong or 2) a shop I trust, if there were one. I would not just buy a car like this, I'm too picky.
    2007 OBP WRX TR
    Modless till summer

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar

it's an '04

Well I think I may have found my new baby... Buying this from a guy named Justin Wesley here in Denver, CO. No engine mods, which is a plus, just a re-mapped ecu that squeezes an extra psi of boost out of the turbo.
    -STI exhaust
    -Stock catless up-pipe
    -Helix downpipe
    -Cobb tuning Accesport
    No engine mods? I would call those listed above engine mods. The previous posters all have good points about the car. Ultimately it's up to you. BTW,.. it's an '04. Welcome & good luck.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers View Post
    I know you might be excited, but some of us really do know what we are talking about. The transmission mods he made were pretty much pointless, unless he was planning or crazy engine mods. There is a reason the WRX came with it's transmission and a reason the STI came with it's transmission.
    I've got a number of close friends with the WRX and they've told me there's issues with 1st and 2nd gear grinding and slipping.

I did test drive an '03 WRX which was equipped with a short shifter and everytime I threw it in first there was always a hickup. So I guess I was convinced.

As for this WRX with the STI 6 speed tranny, I didn't feel any issues at all. It was a world of difference. So at the time I was feeling confident this might be a good thing.

As for the suspension and brakes, I definately don't think this lessens the value one bit. I've done suspension mods in the past on my Lexus IS300 and I can honestly say this is probably the first thing anyone should do when modifying cars. Suspension first.

But thanks again guys for your help. It's definately appreciated. I wish there were rep points on this site so I could give some rep.

I Support ClubWRX
    $17,000 sounds good.

You wont get any arguing on this site, the STi transmission is better hands down. And yes WRX 5MT's aren't the most desirable thing in the world.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy COW guys.

For starters what is wrong with the STI tranny? It has been known to have some syncro problems at times but it's not going to snap teeth on a stage 2 car (not to mention a stage 2 ej205) like the stock one will.

My only question is does it have the DCCD and if so who did that wiring? If it's sans DCCD it's a rather straight foward swap.

There isnt much that can be messed up if you've taken it to a Subaru shop to have the tranny/rear/brakes done.

With those mods through I'd assume at some point he might have had some other mods on the car. Not a big deal if he has as long as it was tuned properly.

Is he on here or Nasioc? I'd tried to get his screen name and do a search for his posts.

Take it to an independant shop who knows Subaru and have them look at it.

That price isnt crazy by any means. If you can talk him down another grand or even 1500 it's a good buy in my eyes. It doesnt have a ton of miles, doesnt appear hacked up, and has a near bullet proof tranny.

I'm usually not a supporter of buying used modded cars but this one isnt highly modded and had the weakest part of the car already replaced.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Holy COW guys.

For starters what is wrong with the STI tranny? It has been known to have some syncro problems at times but it's not going to snap teeth on a stage 2 car (not to mention a stage 2 ej205) like the stock one will.

My only question is does it have the DCCD and if so who did that wiring? If it's sans DCCD it's a rather straight foward swap.

There isnt much that can be messed up if you've taken it to a Subaru shop to have the tranny/rear/brakes done.

With those mods through I'd assume at some point he might have had some other mods on the car. Not a big deal if he has as long as it was tuned properly.

Is he on here or Nasioc? I'd tried to get his screen name and do a search for his posts.

Take it to an independant shop who knows Subaru and have them look at it.

That price isnt crazy by any means. If you can talk him down another grand or even 1500 it's a good buy in my eyes. It doesnt have a ton of miles, doesnt appear hacked up, and has a near bullet proof tranny.

I'm usually not a supporter of buying used modded cars but this one isnt highly modded and had the weakest part of the car already replaced.
    Thank you..thought I was taking crazy pills for a minute. I'd hit it 2x.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I've got a number of close friends with the WRX and they've told me there's issues with 1st and 2nd gear grinding and slipping.

I did test drive an '03 WRX which was equipped with a short shifter and everytime I threw it in first there was always a hickup. So I guess I was convinced.

As for this WRX with the STI 6 speed tranny, I didn't feel any issues at all. It was a world of difference. So at the time I was feeling confident this might be a good thing.

As for the suspension and brakes, I definately don't think this lessens the value one bit. I've done suspension mods in the past on my Lexus IS300 and I can honestly say this is probably the first thing anyone should do when modifying cars. Suspension first.

But thanks again guys for your help. It's definately appreciated. I wish there were rep points on this site so I could give some rep.
    The 02-03 WRX trannies were bad compared to the 04 & later. The short shifter really has nothing to do with the trannies ability to hold up. It is a definate plus that this peticular WRX has an STi tranny in it already. I would love an STi tranny over my stock set up. Now that being said, I have had my WRX at Stage 2 for 46K miles w/o ANY issues from my stock tranny. As far as the STi brakes & suspension go, I would say it's a win win for you. The price is a little to be desired though. I would say $16K would be reasonable considering.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Thank you..thought I was taking crazy pills for a minute. I'd hit it 2x.
    I think it stems from people hearing horror stories of modded cars. Those are usually hack jobs or have the stock gearbox.

Again have it looked over by a Subaru shop to make sure it's not a time bomb (even if the motor pops and you toss in a ej205 replacement I think you are ahead of the game if you snag it for 16,500-17,000).
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    The price is a little to be desired though. I would say $15K would be reasonable considering.
    No way he'll get it for that. I doubt you could buy an 02-03 with low miles and an STi 6 spd for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Again have it looked over by a Subaru shop to make sure it's not a time bomb (even if the motor pops and you toss in a ej205 replacement I think you are ahead of the game if you snag it for 16,500-17,000).
    BINGO
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    No way he'll get it for that. I doubt you could buy an 02-03 with low miles and an STi 6 spd for that.
    I edited my post to $16K, but that's it.
    I understand it's got a great tranny, but I wouldn't go any higher unless the quality of the work can be proven. You should come to NY for WRX deals. I see them all the time for $8-$10K for an 02/03 with decent miles, albeit w/o an STi tranny.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by krex View Post
    It definitely is a step up, thats not what I'm arguing. See the thing is, I don't trust other people with doing work on my car, let alone a stealership. If I were to aim to have this on my car, I would do it a) myself, so I know who to blame if it goes wrong or 2) a shop I trust, if there were one. I would not just buy a car like this, I'm too picky.
    I feel ya Krex, I know exactly what you're talking about. I did all the work on my last car and wouldn't let anyone touch my car. I would cring everytime I saw someone doing my oil change, which by the way was the only thing I let someone else do.

But I feel very confident with the guy who currently owns this car. For one he doesn't want to sell it, but has a company car and hasn't even had plates for this car for over a year, since he hardly ever drives it. Second he told me he's got $20K worth of credit card debt and something needs to be done now. He never planned on selling this car but told me circumstances changed his plans. He's had this car since day one and there's not a scratch on the vehicle.

I also tested the guy to see how much he knew about the car. And he definately knew what he was talking about in every sense. He knew teh difference between the Serpentine and Timing belts, knew exactly where the injectors were. He knew just about every element there is to tuning cars. So he's definately a tuner head. He also ensured me that he always consulted the forums before he made any decisions on the car. Which means he does his research. And overall I just felt confident this guy was honest and respectable.

But I feel very confident with the guy who currently owns this car.He knew just about every element there is to tuning cars. So he's definately a tuner head. He also ensured me that he always consulted the forums before he made any decisions on the car. Which means he does his research. And overall I just felt confident this guy was honest and respectable.
    Boom, whack, done. Sold! Enjoy it.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Boom, whack, done. Sold! Enjoy it.
    I'm going to have it checked out at the Subie dealer, but I've been around enough gear heads that I know when someone is an idiot or actually knows their stuff and this guy is not an idiot to say the least. He approached this project car the same way I'd do it.

Trust is definately a hard thing gauge when dealing with cars, but being in sales for many years, you begin to spot people who are not credible. This guy for what I've seen seems to be very credible.

Anyhow, thanks again guys for all the advice. I appreciate it very, very much. I'm still gonna look around for other WRX's but this one has my attention at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.