2008 Impreza wRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2008 Impreza wRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Welcome aboard mate. Did you get the sedan or hatch?...

Welcome aboard mate. Did you get the sedan or hatch?
    06 WRX TR CGM {stock} Hawke-Eye #28
    Raysfield- "We don't get much snow, and I don't drive aggressively in the rain, so kind of irrelevant."
    .:Truth:.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hatch.

Going to pick it up in a few hours.
    After I get out the snowblower and clean up the mess outside...

1) It'll be the last ride in the Mazda. I will miss this car.
    2) It will be the first ride of any length in a WRX
    3) It will be in snow.

And with that... snow removal time.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerdugans View Post
    1) It'll be the last ride in the Mazda. I will miss this car.
    wow thats ironic.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Welcome!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

The WRX is home.

The last ride in the Mazda was just a bit sad, and going directly from the one to the other....
    Well yeah, I am gonna miss a lot about that one. (Note that there are things I've missed about every car, truck or motorcycle I have owned.)

But the WRX will lessen the pain a bit.
    No doubt that quite a bit is much better, besides the difference in reliability between a brand new car and one with over 100K on it.

About twice the horsepower, for one thing.
    I no longer feel like I am putting my car ON (like a jacket) instead of getting into it.
    A lot quieter on the highway.
    And in reality, I am pretty damn sure that the Subaru has higher performance all around than the Miata.
    Plus room to carry stuff... like other people.

I have to say that this car beats any other similar (size, price, etc) vehicle I have driven, and that if I had been moving from nearly anything else in the price range, I would most likely be drooling more over the feel and driving experience of the new car- it's that good.
    But the old roadster... yeah, low on power and my laptop only fit in the trunk if I took it OUT of my laptop case (slight exaggeration), but the hard to define "feel" of the car was simply a cut above.

Pretty sure that in a few months time I will be over that.

Pics will be posted later.

Glad to hear you like the new car.
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

Welcome to the club. A few hundred dollars in mods you should be able to beat a mustand GT from a dig.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Thanks for the added welcomes.

Not so sure I'll be doing any mods in the near future- house to pay for and work on and all that...

But who knows what the future may hold.

In any case, I thought it especially appropriate to get a shot of both cars given the date-

Goodbye to the old and hello to the new.

Just an update a couple of days into ownership.

Liking the car so far though I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet.
    The power is great, and the ride and handling are both excellent, but a bit different from what I am used to.

At speed, the ride is just a bit more "floaty" than I am used to but it is definitely smoother and more comfortable over bumps. Gotta find a compromise somewhere, of course, and not saying the car feels bad at speed by any means, but in future I may look into what can be done to firm it up a bit while not compromising compliance much.

Steering feel is pretty good, and the steering seems as accurate as anything I have driven.

The brakes are very good and STRONG. Haven't tested the ABS out yet.

In truth, I haven't pushed the car much yet, as it only has a couple hundred on the odo still.... but I will.

Overall, very happy with the car and pretty much what I expected- 2008s are reputed to be a bit "softer" than earlier years, while not ultimately losing much in the way of performance.
    A compromise I can comfortably accept.

Especially since I get higher performance, actual ROOM for stuff and the car "feels" very, very good.

Welcome! +1 on the pics when you get her!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Welcome. Its really interesting to see your comments coming from a Miata to a WRX. From the track days I've been to (only a few) the Miata is killer for handling. I have been thinking of picking up a 99 Miata (its in the family) as a driver/track car. I'm just unsure if I want to take the tremendous hit in power. It'd be interesting to hear more of your thoughts between the two.

As far as your suspension woes, you could easily change the springs and add sway bars. Both will work under your factory warranty, especially if you go with SPT equipment, but there is better out there. The two combined will feel very nice, not be SUPER stiff, and won't cost nearly as much as coilovers.

As someone else mentioned though, the mod bug on this car is a bit tasty! Hope you don't have a big appetite.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Congrats and welcome.
    My uncle has the same car. He likes it alot

Hope you enjoy it too.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerex47 View Post
    Welcome. Its really interesting to see your comments coming from a Miata to a WRX. From the track days I've been to (only a few) the Miata is killer for handling. I have been thinking of picking up a 99 Miata (its in the family) as a driver/track car. I'm just unsure if I want to take the tremendous hit in power. It'd be interesting to hear more of your thoughts between the two.
    In truth I have been trying to be a bit careful in comparing the two, since this is a Subaru forum.
    Both are great cars, but in somewhat different ways.
    As for buying a Miata- well, if I could have afforded to keep mine instead of trading it in, I would have.
    In a heartbeat.

I'd be happy to discuss it in more depth, but perhaps PMs would be better to help keep me from getting flamed.

As far as your suspension woes, you could easily change the springs and add sway bars. Both will work under your factory warranty, especially if you go with SPT equipment, but there is better out there. The two combined will feel very nice, not be SUPER stiff, and won't cost nearly as much as coilovers.
    Keeping warranty intact is a plus, and so is lower cost.
    Modding things is something that is hard for me NOT to do- motorcycles, cars, trucks, computers, houses, pretty much everything I touch is changed to some degree...
    I think it likely that I will look into things a bit eventually, but the fact that I find nothing SO glaringly deficient in the WRX that I have to change it NOW is high praise.

As someone else mentioned though, the mod bug on this car is a bit tasty! Hope you don't have a big appetite.
    Appetite or not, I have something called "financial obligations" that I must deal with, so money for mods is not immediately available. Not saying it won't or can't happen, but.... there is a huge cost/benefit analysis that I will go through for any money spent.
    It may take a while.

welcome sir!! glad to see u liking ur 08 wrx!!!
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

Yep, definitely liking it, and have to admit that the power is nice...

Well, ok, perhaps slightly addictive.

As much as I loved the other car, moving from 126hp to 224 is a pretty big jump. Even with the extra 700 pounds to haul around.

Had to drive the car for work today as my company truck was in the shop...

Unfortunately, most of the time was stuck in traffic, but I did learn a few new things, mostly on the plus side:
    WRX is better to be stuck in traffic IN than the Miata. The much larger interior is far less confining.
    Passing acceleration is marvelous.
    Outward visibility is much easier
    The extra quiet is nice too.

One new minor annoyance that I'm sure I'll get used to-
    while the gauge cluster is great and has good lighting and the tach in the right place, it is an inch or two too low:
    I have to take my eyes right off the road to get a quick glance at it.

It does have great visibility, so takes little to register speed/rpm, but still.
    I'm sure I'll get used to it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.