slippin' clutch - 2003 wrx

This is a discussion on slippin' clutch - 2003 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've got a 2003 wrx wagon, i bought it new, and now with 105K miles on it i'm looking at ...

slippin' clutch - 2003 wrx

I've got a 2003 wrx wagon, i bought it new, and now with 105K miles on it i'm looking at replacing the timing belt and the clutch.
    ? 1 - Is the Clutch something that a fairly competent mech can do in their workshop garage - or should attempt? Like you need special and expensive Subaru tools....?
    ? 1a - If it's feasible does anyone have shop photos or instructions?

? 2 - with no racing and 105K miles should I expect the clutch to start slipping in 3-4 gear? Or is there something that I may be missing? (No oil leaks at all)

$ - Local shop, and a fairly good one wants $1800 total, timing & clutch, includes the water pump and Subaru parts, (not sure if Flywheel is included but don't think so).

$$$ - Troncalli Subaru in Cumming, Georgia wants $595 for the timing belt + $140 for the water pump, +$1,600 for the clutch (this does include the flywheel a $257 deduct if not needed) for a grand total of ~$2,335.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

At 105k miles many things can go wrong with any car. As far as a possible DIY ... have you installed clutches before? Timing belts - water pumps?

We have regional forums that might more helpful in finding localized info: South Eastern States

Good luck, keep us posted.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

the cltuch is not too bad to do... it took me and a friend like 3 hours to do and I'd only done a clutch in my s10 before

wrx clutch replacement

Yes, I've replaced clutches before - never a Subaru / WRX.

I'm a pretty competent shade-tree mech with enough experience to gather as much info before jumping into something that i've not done before -or have first hand access to someone that has.

Special tools or challenges that would lead those that have done it to spend the $ to take it to someone with a lift...?

I plan on staying with the standard clutch as this last one made it to 105K with no problems.
    thanks