First WRX - 08 Red 5 door
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First WRX - 08 Red 5 door within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought an 08 WRX. My wife use to sell them and I have had an intrest in them ...

First WRX - 08 Red 5 door

I just bought an 08 WRX. My wife use to sell them and I have had an intrest in them since she let me take an 02 out for a test drive.

I have always been a gear head, and such is the reason I've signed on to this forum. I'm wanting to gain ideas of what to do for mild upgrades. Near upgrades include up-pipe, down pipe, cat back and ecu upgrade. I would like to know about the ups and downs of the aftermarket parts available.

Any info would be greatly apperciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No uppipe needed in the new wrx. Great mild handling upgrades such as a swaybar are recommended
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Thanks for reply

Quote Originally Posted by tayhadar1 View Post
    No uppipe needed in the new wrx. Great mild handling upgrades such as a swaybar are recommended
    Not much available now for this model yet. What is best hp gain for $? also, what combo's are past proven? What companies should I be looking at for new development. I'm a prior Mustang guy and very new to the Subaru world. I'm very much a diy type person.

You looking to void the warranty? A downpipe and ECU flash will do that. I would love to start moding my 08 but can't risk chancing having to pay in full for repairs, knock on wood I never have any.
    2008 Metallic Gray WRX

Warranty Issue

Quote Originally Posted by TRM1305 View Post
    You looking to void the warranty? A downpipe and ECU flash will do that. I would love to start moding my 08 but can't risk chancing having to pay in full for repairs, knock on wood I never have any.
    I use to be a Mustang guy. I had two GT's (A wonderland of after market parts available). I choose a WRX because of AWD and handling. With my GT's both the popular mags and web said the manufacture needed to prove mods did not void the warranty unless the mfg could prove they caused the problem. Can anyone clarify this?
    Last edited by Rawb; 12-22-2007 at 06:44 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
    ...With my GT's both the popular mags and web said the manufacture needed to prove mods did not void the warranty unless the mfg could prove they caused the problem. Can anyone clarify this?
    In principal, basically the same. To deny a claim, you would have to be able to reasonably conclude the mod caused the issue.

You should check out the link in my signature too.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

not that wikipedia is the end-all be-all of definitive information, but I know this one at least is right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

I've been modding cars for a while now and have never run into warranty issues with any of my cars. Just don't be a jerk to the service manager and you should be OK.

EDIT: more in-depth link here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm
    Last edited by rexasian; 12-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Antonio’s Fourth Rule of Nightclubbing:

You know you've had too much to drink when you go to brush something off your shoulder and it's the floor.

Banned
    SOA (Subaru of America) might be a little different than a Ford Dealership.... There are many horror stories out there with people going Stage 2 (Engine Management and Downpipe) and then they break their transmission and SOA denies their claims... But you gotta pay to play!!

Congrats on your purchase!

True, regardless, the burden of proof is still on the dealership/SOA, that's all the law allows for. IE: stripped gears I could see not being covered, but defective casting should be. YMMV
    Antonio’s Fourth Rule of Nightclubbing:

You know you've had too much to drink when you go to brush something off your shoulder and it's the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
    Not much available now for this model yet. What is best hp gain for $? also, what combo's are past proven? What companies should I be looking at for new development. I'm a prior Mustang guy and very new to the Subaru world. I'm very much a diy type person.
    Welcome to the red family. I have an 08 Red Hatch as well.

www.cobbtuning.com for Engine Management
    www.TurboXS.com for Exhaust parts

The 08 is very different from previous models so its hard to get parts right now.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Welcome to the club!
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

welcome . as far as the mods that you have planned , its a great path .

-billy

Quote Originally Posted by tayhadar1 View Post
    Welcome to the club! Like the quote says, and after drving in my friends 08 sedan, I would do the sways as the 1st mod. The suspension is way to soft, a nice set of swaybars will go a long way towards reducing that boat like feeling. The practically zero turbo lag, plus all the torque down low gives the 08 lots of pickup, I think it has more than my stg 2, 02 bugeye below 3k rmps, so I would hold off on the engine mods. Every one attributes the AWD to great handeling, however that is not the case until you change out the squishy suspension pieces, so sways and even tires, and to top it off, springs, and don't forget the brakes (steel braided lines for starters, then pads, I would leave the stock rotors alone, aftermarket only if you have cash to blow on a bigger Brembo set, otherwise stock rotors can't be beat), then engine mods. I came to a conclusion that you can overpower the stock suspension with stock power levels easily so upgrading the weakest first, then adding power will make you a very happy man.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 12-26-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

My dealership has been very cool with my stage 2 setup. They are also aware of my autox activities.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Congrats and welcome!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast