trouble shifting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on trouble shifting within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ive never owned a car that was a manual but i can drive a stick decently. i can shift fine ...

trouble shifting

ive never owned a car that was a manual but i can drive a stick decently. i can shift fine if i just "granny drive" but i cant seem to figure out how to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd smoothly if the rpms are over 4 thousand. when i shift the car lurches forward when i let the clutch out. so basically if i try to accelerate quickly i get a little whip lash and im not sure if its because im giving it to much gas when let the clutch out or not enuff. any help would be awesome.

ps. my sister has a 06 civic and i can shift perfectly in that so im not sure whats going on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing I think of is that you are shifting right in your power band. Try taking it up in the rpms a bit more.

Are you doing an abrupt shift?
    New EnglandF4
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #010

1st of all the WRX has AWD so if you drop the clutch it will not spin your wheels when at speed, becasue it just doesn't have that much power to overcome the grip of all 4 wheels, and you will get the whiplash effect. The civic will just chirp the tires if you shift super fast, you just can't do that with AWD on the WRX. Also when you shift do you bring the pedal all the way down to the floor? I noticed that if I clutch out about half way and change gear then, it is always harsh becasue its just took quick, so I always put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and that gives it enough time to avoid the harshness of shifting too fast, in other words you have to shift smoothly, can't be modular about the clutch on these cars.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    Also when you shift do you bring the pedal all the way down to the floor? I noticed that if I clutch out about half way and change gear then, it is always harsh becasue its just took quick, so I always put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and that gives it enough time to avoid the harshness of shifting too fast, in other words you have to shift smoothly, can't be modular about the clutch on these cars.
    You should ALWAYS put the pedal to floor when shifting.
    New EnglandF4
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #010

After getting my WRX, I find that every Honda is easy to drive and very forgiving. It took me about 3 months to get used to the car and I've been driving an Accord MT for over 4 years. Take it easy for a while, get used to it, then you'll find greater control.
    2002 WRB
    VF34, EDM projectors, TEIN Flex coilovers, STi RA tranny, Brembos, STi interior, etc.

Are you looking at the gauges when you shift? Feel the car. Find an empty parking lot and practice looking straight ahead while shifting through the gears. Feel the throttle, clutch, and shifter. It is much more critical to your drive train that you get it right on down shifts. My 2 cents.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.

It take time to learn how to shift and understand how different things affect your car (like shifting with the compressor running for the ac or defrost).
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Banned
    your letting go of the clutch too quickly, feather it out a tiny bit even when u shift. and also apply gas while u shift to get less nudging.

Registered User Foxymophandlmam's Avatar
    Hmm intersting thread I'm having a little trouble myself getting used to the clutch, mines a brass button one so its either on or off, i pretty much got it down pat changing once im on the move but i still cant nail the initial take off, in first, i bunny hop or stall it and i just cant take off fast...any advice there folks?
    Fox

if you check the track forum you'll find thousands of posts arguing sllipping the clutch vs. dumping it. you could read for days but in the end its opinions and your choice. i favor slipping, maybe just more practice.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

The WRX is not an easy stick to learn, u will get it.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by spnkdrm View Post
    You should ALWAYS put the pedal to floor when shifting.
    Yes I always do, but few people suggested the other way and it just seemed wrong, 1st becasue its to fast anyways and it jerks the car, sencond it puts too much wear on the clutch so yeah I know.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

I've had my suby for a while an they are not the smoothest cars in the world. This is primarily because the power, when it goes through the drive train gets transfered quite a bit.

This can lead to that cluncking that many people feel. Just ease your clutch out and you won't feel it as much. Don't worry though, it's not you it's the way these cars are.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Each car / clutch / transmission with vary and have their own point at which everything comes together smoothly. Wwith a little more practice you will get the feel for where that is on your WRX. Enjoy!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Meh, welcome to driving a WRX. You'll get used to the clunking diff eventually
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Prodrive addict...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast