WINTER MPG - me sad (new subie owner)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WINTER MPG - me sad (new subie owner) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi ! I just bought a new 02 WRX and looked up the MPG ratings and thought hey, its not ...

WINTER MPG - me sad (new subie owner)

Hi !

I just bought a new 02 WRX and looked up the MPG ratings and thought hey, its not that bad for 227 HP..Anyway.. I had my car for 2 weeks and I must say..I'm not impressed at all..

I've been using my car to go back and forth to work, mixed highway and city, and from my calculation I'm getting something like 17 Liter / 100 KM mileage, that's like 13.5 MPG...WTF? and I'm not even doing spirited driving, just normal driving...!
    My tank is 1/4 full and I only did 260 KM (162 miles) since the fillup...

Is it possible that the winter gas PLUS the COLD temperature (been around -15 celcius / 5 F) all week be the cause?...I really love the car but this is insane!!! 13.5 MPG while granny driving !????

What some of you in the great north is getting? BTW I'm in New-Brunswick Canada.

Maybe my o2 sensor is bad???

This is killing me !!! I can't enjoy the car because I feel like if I'm going to boost I'm going to get sub 10 MPG rating..this is insane!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Something is definitely wrong if you're getting 13.5 mpg with granny driving. You should be getting 20+. I get 18 mpg with pretty aggressive driving in my STI.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

When did you last do a tune up?
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Im in RI (southern New England) and we have been having comparable temperatures to that lately with this cold spell. I have noticed a significant change in MPG, but nothing in that range. My last tank involved some wheel spin in the snow, and I tend to be well acquainted with the accelerator, but i still had around 24 MPG. I usually see around 27, with a low of around 20 (but that was all in heavy traffic in the snow)

I don't know, I had the car for two weeks, only document is oil changes, and I test drove the car and everything was mechanically sweet. I guess spark plugs should be changed shortly..does this car needs ignition wires to be changed? this is my first coil on plugs car I ever owned.

A plug change is a good place to start. How many miles are on the car?

You should also change the air filter and put fresh oil and a filter on it just to be sure everything is done. I wouldn't trust a used car dealer that says they changed the oil.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    i've actually seen a slight increase in my mileage with the abundance of snow we have had up here in the northeast. winter mode driving with lots of cars on the road tends to keep me in lower rpm's and out of boost. with clean roads or less traffic the majority of my mass tends to migrate towards my right foot, funny how that happens.
    Last edited by yashuone; 12-21-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: hear is not here

Quote Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
    I don't know, I had the car for two weeks, only document is oil changes, and I test drove the car and everything was mechanically sweet. I guess spark plugs should be changed shortly..does this car needs ignition wires to be changed? this is my first coil on plugs car I ever owned.
    coil on plug eliminates wires. i would check plugs, ( NGK IRIDIUM STOCK HEAT) is a good plug, i found them on sale for #5.99 each. Check the air filter, maybe even fuel filter. Also depending on the year or milage of the car a full induction cleaning wouldnt be a bad idea, or the PCV valve.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Car has 78 000 miles. I bought it from a private owner too.

Oh and it's completely stock, not even a boost gauge! I know the mileage is a littlle high for the year but the car being stock was worth it imo.

thanks for the help!

thats not to high of mileage for the year, i have seen cars 5 years old over 150k.

Banned
    i have 190,000+ on my 04

(new motor though)

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Something is definitely wrong. I got better mileage on my stage 2 STi and 6.1 liter SRT8. Take it to somebody that knows subarus.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Clean the snow off of your car.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are you running premium gas? Our cars will drastically reduce mileage on 87 octane - especially if you have been putting that in over a long period of time.

Further:
    - are the breaks slightly engaged all the time?
    - air filter dirty?
    - always good to check the spark plugs and look for deposits
    - 1000 lb sand bag in the trunk?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

gil
    My 06 cobb stage 2 rex is only getting about 14 mpg with 50/50 highway/city . fairly spirited driving. Is there anybody else getting the same mpgs with this set-up ?
    With great power comes great responsibility

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast