Love My 04 Wrx - Cool Down?

This is a discussion on Love My 04 Wrx - Cool Down? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My boyfriend bought this car over a year ago. He was killed september 1, 2007- I did not want to ...

Love My 04 Wrx - Cool Down?

My boyfriend bought this car over a year ago. He was killed september 1, 2007- I did not want to let the car go. So, I am the new owner of a 2004 wrx
    Now I need a little help...
    The car has a cool down thing that keeps the car running for how ever long it needs then turns off. Do I need to let the car cool down every time? I do not dirve it hard. I am new at driving a stick so I take it easy.

I am looking for new tiers any ideas on some good all weather ones? I want to get them soon. with in the next week I just do not know what ones I want/need.

Tint I am thinking 35% all around? - the car is silver

Thank You!!!
    April

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club April!

Sorry to hear of your boyfriend.

That cool down thing is called a turbo timer - it is not needed. The design of the turbocharger in the WRX does not require a cool down before shutting down.

With a little practice driving a stick is easy - you will wonder why you did not learn sooner.

Check out the stickies at the top of this forum. Enjoy you stay here ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    My boyfriend bought this car over a year ago. He was killed september 1, 2007- I did not want to let the car go. So, I am the new owner of a 2004 wrx
    Now I need a little help...
    The car has a cool down thing that keeps the car running for how ever long it needs then turns off. Do I need to let the car cool down every time? I do not dirve it hard. I am new at driving a stick so I take it easy.

I am looking for new tiers any ideas on some good all weather ones? I want to get them soon. with in the next week I just do not know what ones I want/need.

Tint I am thinking 35% all around? - the car is silver

Thank You!!!
    Sorry to hear about your loss, hope all is well.

The cool-down thingy is a turbo timer. If I were you, I'd just figure out how to set to to 0 seconds and leave it there. Better yet, have it taken out, which might be a hastle depending on how well it was installed. Our cars don't need it because they circulate coolant to the turbo after the car has been turned off, thus negating the benefit of a turbo timer.

As far as tires, maybe someone else can chime in? Most will recommend a set for summer and one for winter, but I don't think thats necessary.

Welcome to the club!
    2007 OBP WRX TR
    Modless till summer

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Welcome to the club.

Sorry about your loss.

As far as winter tires go, you can put most any winter tire on for the winter. If you're looking for an all season, i'm partial to Yokohama's. Good luck!
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Again, welcome & sorry about the circumstances which brought you here.

However, I hope you come to enjoy the WRX as much as many others here do. Please take some time to explore the link in my signature for some useful info.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Welcome to the club.

Sorry about your loss.

As far as winter tires go, you can put most any winter tire on for the winter. If you're looking for an all season, i'm partial to Yokohama's. Good luck!
    OT what yokohama all seasons do you run?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Welcome, and my condolences as well. i went 20% all around, dark enough to where you cant be seen well, drove next to cops and havent had problems. and i can see fine at night. i love it
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Welcome, and my condolences as well. i went 20% all around, dark enough to where you cant be seen well, drove next to cops and havent had problems. and i can see fine at night. i love it
    what state do you live in? Here its stupid because if its lower than 47% we can get a ticket and cops here take law enforcement too far.

sorry about your loss
    on the flipside welcome to the club

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome aboard.

Sucks about the boyfriend for sure.

I'd personally attempt to take out the Turbo timer (or have someone do it that have done installs with them and know what is going on). The less electronic things to fail the better if you ask me.

I had great luck with conti extreamcontacts on my WRX. Priced right and they do the all season thing well.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    OT what yokohama all seasons do you run?
    I had to switch over to something better when the crappy stock RE92s only lasted 20K. I have Yokohama AVID V4S 225/50/16 on my WRX. My last set of Yokohama's (stock size) I had easily lasted 40K. I never had a problem with them in rain or snow. I don't drive the WRX in our lovely NY winters anymore though.
    Check them out. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...87&rd=16&ar=50
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods