thinking of getting a WRX

This is a discussion on thinking of getting a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys and gals i currently own a Cobalt and have been thinking of trading it in on a WRX...now ...

thinking of getting a WRX

hey guys and gals i currently own a Cobalt and have been thinking of trading it in on a WRX...now i like my cobalt so dont down talk it please. I just want AWD...now i looked on Subaru's website and compared the WRX and the STI...the only difference i could see was the horsepower. So from 27k to 37k the only difference is 70 hp or am i missing something? So whats the aftermarket like and how easy would it be to get from 224 hp to say...350 or so...Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

more differences

6-speed trans
    BBS Rims
    Brembo Brakes
    DCCD
    HID
    different compression in the engine
    different turbo

long story short - the STI is a better platform to start with, but if you throw enough money at a WRX you can do plenty.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by disposable_hero View Post
    hey guys and gals i currently own a Cobalt and have been thinking of trading it in on a WRX...now i like my cobalt so dont down talk it please. I just want AWD...now i looked on Subaru's website and compared the WRX and the STI...the only difference i could see was the horsepower. So from 27k to 37k the only difference is 70 hp or am i missing something? So whats the aftermarket like and how easy would it be to get from 224 hp to say...350 or so...Thanks
    lol theres a little bit more to the sti than horsepower, i would say do more research. If you can afford the sti i would say get it, thats one hell of an amazing car.
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

read read read, between this and NASIOC, there is every post you could ever want. Take some time and look through the forums, i read like 1000 threads on this website before i bought my wrx, and its ridiculous how much more i know about the cars now, good luck
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

It is cheaper & easier to buy an STi then to make one out of a WRX.

Please take some time to explore(bookmark) the link in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

so the aftermarket scene for the non STI is just as good as the STI? i cant afford a STI so im really thinking of getting a WRX..i just want to wait and test drive the new Cobalt SS/TC's coming out in march or so...

bump

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    so the aftermarket scene for the non STI is just as good as the STI? i cant afford a STI so im really thinking of getting a WRX..i just want to wait and test drive the new Cobalt SS/TC's coming out in march or so...
    Aftermarket for both cars is the same there are plenty of mods to be done, the STI just comes so much better equiped,

Everything about the STI is better Steering rack, interior, all the differentials, ect. ect.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

ive been looking around at different websites and see there is alot of aftermarket...just not for the 08s are they that different than the 07? im sorry about all the questions i just want to be very educated on it and yes i am doing my own research

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.Your screen name is my favorite Metallica song.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

pretty great song isnt it...

yea ive pretty much decided on the WRX...now its just between the Sedan or Wagon...i need to look at them both in person but the only Subaru dealership is about 90 miles away

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    ive been looking around at different websites and see there is alot of aftermarket...just not for the 08s are they that different than the 07? im sorry about all the questions i just want to be very educated on it and yes i am doing my own research
    The 08 is very different, in fact its based off of the legacy platform instead of a dedicated impreza platform, they have no Limited slip differential, it has been replaced by a traction control system

the good things about the New 08 wrx is the new body is much stiffer than the outgoing, and the interior is very nice.

personally if i were you i would drive both the 08 and 07 and make your pick.

I like wagons best.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~