First WRX!

This is a discussion on First WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi. After searching for a couple of weeks, I was finally able to find a 04 WRX in my area. ...

First WRX!

Hi.

After searching for a couple of weeks, I was finally able to find a 04 WRX in my area. Luckily, I got the car for about ~$2000 under blue book because there was a price typo in the ad and the dealer honored it.

I went from an '86 Chevy 4x4 pickup to this and whoa! This is only my second car because I'm 20-years-old. It's my first manual transmission so I have a lot of learning to do, but at least I feel confident enough to drive it outside of the neighborhood. If you have any pointers, feel free to let me know.

The only problem that I've come across so far is the stereo. Half of the buttons don't even work. The dealer threw in a $60-70 Kenwood deck, but I'm debating if I want to put it in, or buy something else.

Couple of questions:

The car doesn't have any type of alarm system right now. Does anyone know how much does a decent one costs and can you recommend some brands? Also, my current lock/unlock remote is kind of crappy to say the least. Would a new alarm system replace my current lock/unlock remote? Should I get LoJack?

I only received two keys. The sub-master and valet. How much would it cost to have a new master key made from a Subaru dealer?

-wespott
    Last edited by wespott; 12-08-2007 at 12:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats! I'm a 20yr old Suby Niewbie too!

I've been through ALOT more cars that you though. #6

Sorry I don't have any advice for you sep enjoy and be safe! The gurus will be along shortly
    Blobeye Syndicate #0222

Thanks!

Mine looks exactly like yours (if it's the silver one in your avatar) and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by wespott View Post
    Thanks!

Mine looks exactly like yours (if it's the silver one in your avatar) and I love it.
    PSM Blobeye (referring to color and style)
    Yeh its a sick ride. Silver wasn't my first choice, but I landed a steal, and its grown on me.
    Blobeye Syndicate #0222

Quote Originally Posted by ofbluestar View Post
    PSM Blobeye (referring to color and style)
    Yeh its a sick ride. Silver wasn't my first choice, but I landed a steal, and its grown on me.
    Same here. I really wanted black, but not the maintenance that comes with keeping it looking flawless.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club!

My 02 was a silver too. I guess it really depends where you live as far as how "worth it" an upgraded alarm system is. IMHO I wouldn't bother unless I lived "in" a major city or lived in the ghetto. The factory lock system seemed to work just fine for me. As far as another key cost I'm not sure. I would have to call the Subaru dealer.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

congrats on your new wrx. i just bought mine a few months back too and mine is my second car as well and i am 21 years old. upgraded from a 94 impreza. if you dont care about having the six disc changer then you should put in the kenwood. if you decide you dont like it you could always buy an oem head unit off ebay. or check subaruparts.com or subarugenuineparts.com. youll also find security systems there and i think they have the master key too. you dont need to have the key cut at the dealer just go too the local hardware store. theyll do it just as good for probably cheaper. last time i had a key cut it cost me like $1.
    Last edited by WRX7886; 12-09-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks for the info, WRX7886.

One more question: Do the STI keys work for WRXs?

well i was just at the local subie dealer today picking up some wiper blades and they gave me the latest catalog of parts and accessories and it did say the sti key will work with the 02-04 wrx. if you didnt already make one you should go to mysubaru.com and make one. its real useful. it keeps track of your mileage and gives you coupons and stuff for oil changes.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure about the 04s.. my 07 has a "smart key" and they are REAL expensive to replace as there is a small chip inside the key.

If I had to spend money on a stereo - I would NOT buy another stock unit. I have the limited WRX which is supposed to have their best unit installed - it doesn't come close to a 1/2 way decent kenwood.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Peachypumpkincheeks

Congrats on the WRX, and welcome to the club!

Oh and I would definitely use the kenwood now until you really want to find something better. Perhaps a system that integrates your mp3 player would be ftw!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

ODJ
    If you end up going with a single-DIN replacement for your stock unit, some folks have had good results filling the left-over slot with the DIN pocket out of the Forrester.

(mmmm, left-over slot)

Search around here or on scoobymods.com for details and pictures.

Congratulations on the car.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
    If you end up going with a single-DIN replacement for your stock unit, some folks have had good results filling the left-over slot with the DIN pocket out of the Forrester.

(mmmm, left-over slot)

Search around here or on scoobymods.com for details and pictures.

Congratulations on the car.
    +1 and welcome!!!
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2