Intention of buying wrx/help purchasing.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Intention of buying wrx/help purchasing. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i have intentions of going tomorrow afternoon to travel 4 hours to see a 2002 wrx im planning on buying ...

Intention of buying wrx/help purchasing.

i have intentions of going tomorrow afternoon to travel 4 hours to see a 2002 wrx im planning on buying in cash.

i dont know much about subaru motors, but id like to know what to look for when going there.

i know the basics, mileage, clutch, noises, leaks, etc.

but isnt there specific or distinguishable features on a subaru that can determine if its a good buy or worth buying at all?

so far, the car has an aem intake with a bypass insert to prevent water ingestion, but other than that ... the car "looks" fine. its a 2002, all white almost 95k miles, going for almost 10g's

oh, and im getting a 2002, cause its the only one i can afford right now due to my insurance company wanting to rape me, as well as its the only thing i can afford due to my job ..

help me out veterans! =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Subaru View Post
    i have intentions of going tomorrow afternoon to travel 4 hours to see a 2002 wrx im planning on buying in cash.

i dont know much about subaru motors, but id like to know what to look for when going there.

i know the basics, mileage, clutch, noises, leaks, etc.

but isnt there specific or distinguishable features on a subaru that can determine if its a good buy or worth buying at all?

so far, the car has an aem intake with a bypass insert to prevent water ingestion, but other than that ... the car "looks" fine. its a 2002, all white almost 95k miles, going for almost 10g's

oh, and im getting a 2002, cause its the only one i can afford right now due to my insurance company wanting to rape me, as well as its the only thing i can afford due to my job ..

help me out veterans! =)
    I'm no vet but I can try. You buying private party?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

I would visit our car buying forum.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

@ ofbluestar - not really, but its at a really low profile dealer. like really ... low profile.

@thej - thanks for the help.

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Run far and fast man. Purchasing any car with 95k miles is a bad idea. Performance cars are not meant to last a very long time. Spending $10,000 on a car that was most likely purchased in 2001 is not the best of ideas. I would spend the extra six thousand and pick up a newer model that has low miles.

EDIT: I skimmed your post previously and did not see that you could not afford a newer model. It would be much smarter to pick up a used civic with low miles that will not cost you as much and that will last you untill you can afford a newer WRX.
    Last edited by Death To Ricers; 12-01-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Subaru
    @ ofbluestar - not really, but its at a really low profile dealer. like really ... low profile.
    This makes me think of mom & pop car dealerships - I also would steer away from this.

KBB for an '02 with 95k in my area in excellent condition is $13,220 - the fact that they're selling this for $3k less, makes me worry that once you get the car, you'll be dropping a lot more than the purchasing price.

Maybe this is a steal, but for every one of those, I'm sure there are 5-10 money pits.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    This makes me think of mom & pop car dealerships - I also would steer away from this.

KBB for an '02 with 95k in my area in excellent condition is $13,220 - the fact that they're selling this for $3k less, makes me worry that once you get the car, you'll be dropping a lot more than the purchasing price.

Maybe this is a steal, but for every one of those, I'm sure there are 5-10 money pits.
    I paid something close to $3,000 under what my car was going for in PA. However I DID travel out of state to find my car, bought it for $600 UNDER blue book (inflation on WRX's in PA is nuts), and the amount I paid was the remainder of the PO's lien + about $300 (which rounded off to the nearest thousand, which was 600 under what he was originally asking.)

Still under warranty, much lower mileage than the average '04 WRX I had seen up for sale.

Confused much?

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

Prices on KBB are always too high. cars.com and edmunds are usually significantly lower.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfound View Post
    Prices on KBB are always too high. cars.com and edmunds are usually significantly lower.
    Edmunds is usually about $1000 less than KBB - if you bring an Edmunds pricing report in, the dealership will counter it with KBB (happened all 3X I've been to a dealership to by a used car) and will settle somewhere in the middle.

Being a little under the suggested retail isn't too bad, but $3k makes me weary (I understand location has something to do with it, but yeah)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    $13,000 for any car with 95K is far too much. What you really need to do is find out what the price is on manheim. Ask a dealer around your area to help you out.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

sorry off the topic but welcome.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.