Intention of buying wrx/help purchasing.

This is a discussion on Intention of buying wrx/help purchasing. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i have intentions of going tomorrow afternoon to travel 4 hours to see a 2002 wrx im planning on buying ...

Intention of buying wrx/help purchasing.

i have intentions of going tomorrow afternoon to travel 4 hours to see a 2002 wrx im planning on buying in cash.

i dont know much about subaru motors, but id like to know what to look for when going there.

i know the basics, mileage, clutch, noises, leaks, etc.

but isnt there specific or distinguishable features on a subaru that can determine if its a good buy or worth buying at all?

so far, the car has an aem intake with a bypass insert to prevent water ingestion, but other than that ... the car "looks" fine. its a 2002, all white almost 95k miles, going for almost 10g's

oh, and im getting a 2002, cause its the only one i can afford right now due to my insurance company wanting to rape me, as well as its the only thing i can afford due to my job ..

help me out veterans! =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Subaru View Post
    i have intentions of going tomorrow afternoon to travel 4 hours to see a 2002 wrx im planning on buying in cash.

i dont know much about subaru motors, but id like to know what to look for when going there.

i know the basics, mileage, clutch, noises, leaks, etc.

but isnt there specific or distinguishable features on a subaru that can determine if its a good buy or worth buying at all?

so far, the car has an aem intake with a bypass insert to prevent water ingestion, but other than that ... the car "looks" fine. its a 2002, all white almost 95k miles, going for almost 10g's

oh, and im getting a 2002, cause its the only one i can afford right now due to my insurance company wanting to rape me, as well as its the only thing i can afford due to my job ..

help me out veterans! =)
    I'm no vet but I can try. You buying private party?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

I would visit our car buying forum.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

@ ofbluestar - not really, but its at a really low profile dealer. like really ... low profile.

@thej - thanks for the help.

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Run far and fast man. Purchasing any car with 95k miles is a bad idea. Performance cars are not meant to last a very long time. Spending $10,000 on a car that was most likely purchased in 2001 is not the best of ideas. I would spend the extra six thousand and pick up a newer model that has low miles.

EDIT: I skimmed your post previously and did not see that you could not afford a newer model. It would be much smarter to pick up a used civic with low miles that will not cost you as much and that will last you untill you can afford a newer WRX.
    Last edited by Death To Ricers; 12-01-2007 at 08:04 AM.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Subaru
    @ ofbluestar - not really, but its at a really low profile dealer. like really ... low profile.
    This makes me think of mom & pop car dealerships - I also would steer away from this.

KBB for an '02 with 95k in my area in excellent condition is $13,220 - the fact that they're selling this for $3k less, makes me worry that once you get the car, you'll be dropping a lot more than the purchasing price.

Maybe this is a steal, but for every one of those, I'm sure there are 5-10 money pits.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    This makes me think of mom & pop car dealerships - I also would steer away from this.

KBB for an '02 with 95k in my area in excellent condition is $13,220 - the fact that they're selling this for $3k less, makes me worry that once you get the car, you'll be dropping a lot more than the purchasing price.

Maybe this is a steal, but for every one of those, I'm sure there are 5-10 money pits.
    I paid something close to $3,000 under what my car was going for in PA. However I DID travel out of state to find my car, bought it for $600 UNDER blue book (inflation on WRX's in PA is nuts), and the amount I paid was the remainder of the PO's lien + about $300 (which rounded off to the nearest thousand, which was 600 under what he was originally asking.)

Still under warranty, much lower mileage than the average '04 WRX I had seen up for sale.

Confused much?

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post

Prices on KBB are always too high. cars.com and edmunds are usually significantly lower.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfound View Post
    Prices on KBB are always too high. cars.com and edmunds are usually significantly lower.
    Edmunds is usually about $1000 less than KBB - if you bring an Edmunds pricing report in, the dealership will counter it with KBB (happened all 3X I've been to a dealership to by a used car) and will settle somewhere in the middle.

Being a little under the suggested retail isn't too bad, but $3k makes me weary (I understand location has something to do with it, but yeah)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    $13,000 for any car with 95K is far too much. What you really need to do is find out what the price is on manheim. Ask a dealer around your area to help you out.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

sorry off the topic but welcome.