new new new buying a subaru!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new new new buying a subaru! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys whats going on! well im so new to cars in general i dont know where to begin haha... ...

new new new buying a subaru!

hey guys whats going on! well im so new to cars in general i dont know where to begin haha... well so far all ive drove was trucks as of now i own a 06 nissan titan lifted all big and such..well the wife wants a car to get the kid in and out easy (wife is 5'1'') so i thought if i must get a car why not get something fun that can handle in the dirt just as well as the street....right?

so i went to a dealership yesterday and they want my titan.. they have 08 wrx on the lot and a few 06s i want the 06 but the one i saw was automatic... and since these cars seem to me made and best suited for a maunal trans its kinda what im shooting for...

this is my first time on this site and i have to say you guys have some awesome cars!! but i have noticed a lot of you guys have your cars setup for street..right? any one have any pics of their car kinda rally style???

well any info i need to know before i buy please let me know im going back on friday to do the deed and get rid of the titan!!

im looking foward to learning more stuff about these awesome cars and hopefully i can get some pix of the NEW car soon.... thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Welcome
    Titans are nice but good move on wanting to get a suby.
    I like my 5MT but you can have fun in a suby with an auto too i imagine
    I live on a private drive that is all gravel and mud/dirt and my suby does really good. It is stock suspension wise and handles good enough for what I use it for. Im sure there are people on here that have rally setups.
    Im still learning alot about my suby so goodluck and we look forward to those pics.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Welcome to the club
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

I have an 06, I like it. If I were to buy again, I would get an 05+ STi used. Much better value. New Sti is a little too much $$$ but a used one can be had for the price I paid for my WRX and has as much power as I do now with a stronger drivetrain.

In short buy a used STi.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

thanks for taking time to post the info guys! I know ill miss my truck but I think the turbo will make up for that... and seeing all the pix of your cars just makes me want one more!

I got bit by the bug when my friend and I drove up to lake silverwood in his 07 honda s3000? I think its called.. well anyway we were taking 25mph turns at 55+ and the tires wernt even screeching yet! so what better to beat a honda with FWD than a WRX with AWD haha I'm going to smash on the honduh..

so is there anything I should look for before buying? I'm not looking to drag this thing mainly just to have fun when I want to onroad or offroad... ill most likley be doing the normal mods like intake, a aftermarket blow off valve (is this the thing that makes the cool star wars noise when you shift?) proly some body kit, exaust and rims...

thanks for the welcome guys! I can't wait to sit in the driver seat!

Just don't underestimate those little s2000's. Those buggers are built for quickness.

I think, not for sure, but when the S2000 first came out it had the most HP per litre of any factory car 240HP 2.0litre
    I heard that somewhere but can't remember.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by matt duarte
    so is there anything I should look for before buying? I'm not looking to drag this thing mainly just to have fun when I want to onroad or offroad... ill most likley be doing the normal mods like intake, a aftermarket blow off valve (is this the thing that makes the cool star wars noise when you shift?) proly some body kit, exaust and rims...
    An aftermarket BOV will cause a loss in performance (due to the placement of the MAF sensor). Unless you're pushing out serious numbers, it isn't a mod you should do. An intake will not net you much power in a WRX, but it will amplify the sound of the BPV (the "PSH!" when you shift). If all you're going for is aesthetics, then these are fine, but both can cause your engine to perform worse than stock (BOV causes too little air, intake too much air).

If you want to get a little more juice out of the engine, you're going to want to start with the Stages. Stage I is engine management. This will change the air/fuel ratios and stuff like that (this doesn't really do too much for a WRX). Stage II is a full turbo-back exhaust and engine management (the downpipe is too restrictive, so open that up and you'll really see some gains - probably 50 hp and 65 ft/lbs). A catback exhaust is really just a noise amplifier, not really yielding any performance gains. If you do get the turboback exhaust, you're going to want to use engine management, or else you don't really unlock the potential out of it.

If you want to bump up the handling of your car, buy some sway bars and really sticky tires. If you plan on doing a lot of off-roading, I wouldn't suggest getting lowering springs (I can barely make it over the dirt roads by my house without scraping my underbody - I don't have aftermarket springs, either).
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-28-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

good info their idipskoalmint! so with the bov and intake its better to get the intake and run the stock bov? i can already see my money bruning a hole in my pocket

I Support ClubWRX
    good info their idipskoalmint! so with the bov and intake its better to get the intake and run the stock bov? i can already see my money bruning a hole in my pocket
    I would venture a guess that the intake will be the better buy.

I would save the money you'd spend to buy a BOV and put it towards a DP/EM (you'll surprise people with the power you have then - especially if you leave the stock CBE on)

so what better to beat a honda with FWD than a WRX with AWD haha I'm going to smash on the honduh..
    Isn't the S2000 RWD?
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-28-2007 at 12:19 PM.

UNYSOC

good deal dude... i still have a lot of learning to do on this thats for sure haha
    i keep seeing on some threads people talking about setting their boost? i know ill proly get a boost gauge first to monitor it.. whats the boost on a stock wrx? i see guys saying their running 15 or 17 psi, is their something that is needed to set the boost or is their other mods needed to run a higher boost?

sorry about all the questions... i gotta start readed the thread about all the abrevations like MAF and BPV and CBE go way over my head lol so im off to learn the lingo of the WRX world

I Support ClubWRX
    good deal dude... i still have a lot of learning to do on this thats for sure haha
    i keep seeing on some threads people talking about setting their boost? i know ill proly get a boost gauge first to monitor it.. whats the boost on a stock wrx? i see guys saying their running 15 or 17 psi, is their something that is needed to set the boost or is their other mods needed to run a higher boost?
    With engine management, you can adjust your boost.

I believe stock WRX is 11.5-12psi

sorry about all the questions... i gotta start readed the thread about all the abrevations like MAF and BPV and CBE go way over my head lol so im off to learn the lingo of the WRX world
    MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor
    BPV = Bypass valve
    BOV = Blow-off valve
    CBE = Catback exhaust
    TBE = Turboback exhaust
    DP = Downpipe
    UP = Uppipe
    MP = Midpipe
    CAI = Cold air intake
    SRI = Short ram intake
    WG = Wastegate
    IC = Intercooler (FMIC = front-mount, TMIC = top-mount)
    EM = Engine management

There's a few that may help
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-28-2007 at 12:47 PM.

UNYSOC

why arnt their that many subie dealer in the riverside/corona area here in socal?

the one I went to off of indaina had one 06 automatic for like 20 something gs and a 08 around the same price.. on the 06 I did notice it had rims some sort of exaust or exaust tip(not sure) leather seats and tented windows... but again its automatic and I don't know if manual is better for these cars I know its a lot more fun though...

the 08s I'm not to sure about I'm kinda liking the 07 and 06 body style I little bit more and the 06s gasmpg is better then the new 08 by a few gallons...

any imput on the auto vs the manual..again I'm not looking to drag or race this thing...

I Support ClubWRX
    riverside/corona
    Thats your problem.

Get the MT. Call REZA at Santa Monica Subaru. Great place to buy a subi.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast