Introduction to THIS GUY
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Introduction to THIS GUY within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, just thought I'd give a quick introduction to myself, as I think I'll be hanging out here reading ...

Introduction to THIS GUY

Hey everyone, just thought I'd give a quick introduction to myself, as I think I'll be hanging out here reading the forums quite a bit.
    My name is Andrew Gilpin, and I recently purchased an '02 WRX with a few modifications. I live In Iowa, and work full time as a mechanic in a full service gas station.... on top of that, I breed geckos ( yeah, you know, the little lizards with sticky feet, hence the username, works well for the AWD WRX too ). Have a ton of hobbies, and am extremely into macro photography as well, here's a photo for an example of some of the work I do:

I'll be posting a few things in some other forums as my time permits, but thanks so far for the information that has been quite helpful!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome, nice picture! Have any of the car?
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

ummm, I've got a few photos from the ad, but they suck....
    one of the things that annoys me the most about the car, is the ghetto job of custom bending the FMIC piping out of exhaust tubing ( and the hideous welds), that and the fact that it doesn't fit worth a crap and they butchered the front bumper trying to get it to fit....

I plan on cleaning up the above mentioned FMIC issues....
    and it's got a carbon fiber hood which I'm not a big fan of ( especially the hood pins.... pet peeve).
    it has a chunk on each hood tip where it was improperly stored at some point or another, and there are cracks in the gel coat as well. I plan on putting this back to stock, right about the time I redo the FMIC tubing and put a new front bumper on it.

Here's my old car....
    '95 honda accord with an H22A in it. It was probably putting out around 210 HP or so, and was a pretty fun car to drive.

I sold that the first day I tried for $1,000 more than I paid for it after owning it for a year and putting 10K miles on it, so I decided I'd upgrade a bit ....
    My other daily driver is an '02 Nissan Maxima with a 3.5L 6spd, no photos of that one at this time though....

I just made that picture my desktop background, do i have to send you royalties? Good luck with the car, I'd love to see pictures.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're still running on the stock turbo, you're going to want to get a TMIC or a bigger turbo - I believe that a FMIC will cause too much lag on the stock turbo, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell you for sure.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and the Scooby-owner club

What turbo are you running with the IC? Nice car.
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Right now the turbo is stock. I appreciate any help that people can give, as I'm used to working on cars that are typically stock, and not modifying them a whole lot. Working with the turbo/lag/boost etc. and knowing how the modifications work together with one another is going to take some getting use to. I know for sure I want to get rid of the air/fuel gauge as it's completely useless and just bounces around, and it's also got a Dastek PROgrammer installed however I don't know what has been done exactly with that as well. The car also had a dual stage boost controller ( don't know if that's the correct terminology either, doh!) and you can set it at 10psi for just driving around, or 16psi when you want to get on it a bit more.
    Any suggestions on things to read or do would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for the comment on the photo by the way.... many more can be seen here:
    http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/LACHERPS/

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Great pic - the mantis is one of my favorite insects! Nice WRX too.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyfeet
    I know for sure I want to get rid of the air/fuel gauge as it's completely useless and just bounces around
    When you're driving a modified WRX/STi, I believe the 2 gauges that are most important are the EGT/boost - beyond that, I'm not sure what you should have (my car is still 100% stock).

I Support ClubWRX
    I love it; the '02-'03's have an "organization" within this forum called the Bugeye Mafia. Your picture is the perfect logo for us!

Welcome aboard.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.