new here (tmic and scoop question)

This is a discussion on new here (tmic and scoop question) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; new here !!! (i have a 02 wrx) i was told the stock hood scoops and tmic arent really good ...

new here (tmic and scoop question)

new here !!! (i have a 02 wrx)

i was told the stock hood scoops and tmic arent really good past 60mph. is that true ?

would a 04-05 wrx hood scoop fit on a 02-03 wrx hood ? what all would i need to do that conversion ??

how much of an upgrade is a stock sti tmic over stock 02 wrx tmic ? what would i need to make it work ?? and would i need to modify anything ???

sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot... (if so instead of deleting it, can it please be moved to the right spot???)

thanks in advance,
    - Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

Whomever said "the stock hood scoops and tmic arent really good past 60mph" more or less sounds like a retard. Otherwise why would Subaru engineer there 300hp cars to have them in the first place? They are very efficient and the only problems that ever occur really is heat soak from the turbo. But thats what heatshielding is for. So...discount what that person told you.

An STI intercooler is much more effective because it has a larger volume and more surface area to cool more air. In order to mate that up to your car, you'd need the STI Y-Pipe and definitely an STI Splitter (routes the air coming in from the scoop, over the TMIC) for the hoodscoop. An STI hoodscoop would be good to ensure you'd have a larger volume of air hitting the TMIC.

Hood scoops are virtually interchangeable over the model years and usually only need the proper splitters to line up. I don't think there will be much improvement from 02/03 scoops to 04+ from a WRX. Only the 04-05 STI scoops are larger...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by d1a9j View Post
    i was told the stock hood scoops and tmic arent really good past 60mph. is that true ?

No.

would a 04-05 wrx hood scoop fit on a 02-03 wrx hood ?

No.

how much of an upgrade is a stock sti tmic over stock 02 wrx tmic ? what would i need to make it work ?? and would i need to modify anything ???

It's larger. If you need a larger IC it's an option. If you don't need a larger IC it's an expense. What you need to make it work depends on the source of the STi intercooler, be it from an earlier 2L STi or a later 2.5L STi, and can vary from nothing to some bracketry work.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Hood scoops are virtually interchangeable over the model years and usually only need the proper splitters to line up. I don't think there will be much improvement from 02/03 scoops to 04+ from a WRX. Only the 04-05 STI scoops are larger...
    im pretty sure the 04-05 wrx scoops are bigger then the 02-03 wrx scoops ?!?!?! (my buddy has and '04 and it looks bigger anyway)

im planning on running complete stage 2 set-up, and im just wondering if the stock tmic will be big enough for everything ?!?!?

also what are the best bang for your buck mods ???

SD_GR : y wont the scoops fit ??

I Support ClubWRX
    SD_GR : y wont the scoops fit ??

It's not that kind of party. They're different scoops for different cars. Some aftermarket scoops are shaped like the 04 scoop and designed to fit an 02 hood, but the genuine articles will not interchange.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

im pretty sure the 04-05 wrx scoops are bigger then the 02-03 wrx scoops ?!?!?! (my buddy has and '04 and it looks bigger anyway)

im planning on running complete stage 2 set-up, and im just wondering if the stock tmic will be big enough for everything ?!?!?

also what are the best bang for your buck mods ???
    SDGR knows his stuff...I never noticed that the 04-05s were bigger and wouldn't fit...sorry for the misleading info. I swear when I'm wrong (not often, yes I'm stubborn), its SDGR that finds me being wrong

Best Bang for your buck mods depend on what you want to do. Some will say engine management (Cobb AP) and a downpipe are the biggest speed/power performance to get you to Stage 2. However others say that going with good suspension and braking components make the best upgrades. Others will say that spending money on the upkeep and maintenance of the car is the best (including the best oils, fluids, best tires cause the stockers suck). Of course you want to do the best you can to keep up the maintenance of your car to make it last. But it all comes down to what YOU want to get out of your car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

awesome, thanks guys !!!

im planning on going with the stage 2 cobb tune, full 3" turbo back exhaust, catless up pipe... and im prolly forgetting other things.

whats the best non ricey exhaust for these cars ???

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by d1a9j
    The "best exhaust" is a subjective question - people like different things. Personally, I don't like really loud exhaust, but then again, I live in the middle of nowhere, and things like that annoy me as I prefer hearing the sounds of nature at night, not the obnoxious WAH! of exhaust cannons. Personally, I like the sound of the Cobb TBE. If you want to save a little bit of money to get to StageII, I'd say go with the TurboXS Steath-back exhaust (it will mate up with your stock muffler - making it a little bit louder). Your best bet would be to go on YouTube and find clips of different exhaust brands and see which one you like best (you have to live with your choice).

EDIT: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...31&postcount=1
    That will give you an idea of how loud some of the more popular CBEs are
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-20-2007 at 03:51 PM.

awesome, thanks guys !!!

im planning on going with the stage 2 cobb tune, full 3" turbo back exhaust, catless up pipe... and im prolly forgetting other things.

check the second link in my sig
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    check the second link in my sig
    i love that link, it inspires me
    2006 Aspen White WRX STI (320whp/390wtq - Molested by Drunkmann Tuning)

new here !!! (i have a 02 wrx)

would a 04-05 wrx hood scoop fit on a 02-03 wrx hood ? what all would i need to do that conversion ??

sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot... (if so instead of deleting it, can it please be moved to the right spot???)

thanks in advance,

- Dave

cheers
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..

If you want a nice, relatively low-key and mellow exhaust, I'd recommend the Greddy EVO2 catback. If you want the aggressive angled appearance and amplified, throaty boxer rumble, go with an HKS: the Hi-Power catback or the Carbon-Ti (Hi-Power with carbon-wrapped canister and titanium muffler tip).
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq