Brand Noob hailing from Toledo, OH
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Brand Noob hailing from Toledo, OH within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings, I have just recently made a great decision, or a horrible mistake. I picked up an 04 WRX wagon, ...

Angry Brand Noob hailing from Toledo, OH

Greetings,

I have just recently made a great decision, or a horrible mistake.

I picked up an 04 WRX wagon, (used) with 44K. It was a single owner lease vehicle out of columbus. Ofcourse I didn't do my homework, and after signing papers I discovered your "Transmission woes" thread.

Has pretty much scared the crap out of me. I do not plan to autocross the vehicle, and the mods will be very minor. I had no idea that the WRX transmission was prone to such disaster. My instincts tell me that the problems could mostly be due to inexperienced drivers and poorly researched modification. But the sheer volume of problems really makes me nervous.

I'm 25 years old, and have been involved with automobiles most of my adult life. I have worked on 410 sprint cars, go karts, mid-90s cougars and mustangs, and the nissan 240sx has been my current project for the last 4 years. I purchased the wrx mostly for North-West Ohio winters, originality factor, and as daily driver so I can take my nissan back under the knife and still have another manual transmission to drive, and to be honest I couldn't find a mid 90's WRX w/ less than 180k that was for sale.

I have almost no experience with the subaru, and very limited experience with the forced induction setup. I work at Keystone Automotive, so have pretty much full access to any OEM part that is or has been manufactured w/in the last 20 years, and a couple of small tuner "oasis" when time permits me to enjoy my hobbies.

So hopefully my roll of the dice, will not turn out too badly...

so again, greetings to all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Welcome to the club.

44 thousand is low miles for that year and if the owner didnt mod the car or drive it like an ass you should be fine.

the transmissions break because guys like to rev to 5000rpm and "launch" their WRX for drag racing. and usually in modified cars...

if you keep the power levels around stage2 and dont launch the car your transmission should be fine,

also the Good Driver mod helps sounds like you know your way around a stick so you should be fine, many WRX drivers learn to drag race and drive a stick on those stock trannies thats why so many break.

Sounds like you got it made man, Welcome!
    The Hawk-eye Alliance #2007The wingless alliance #16HID headlight conversion kit, Freedom design front tower strut bar, progress front& rear sway bar(22mm).
    04 forester hood scoop STI Pink H-brace. K&N air filter HKS Hi-power catback. Agency power shortshifter HKS turbo timer

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Btw im 25 also and i live in wooster, not too far from toledo. I make my way up to Vermillion at least once a month. I just got my 03 wagon this summer and i cant wait for the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Btw im 25 also and i live in wooster, not too far from toledo. I make my way up to Vermillion at least once a month. I just got my 03 wagon this summer and i cant wait for the snow.
    good deal, I had family down there and actually learned how to drive clutch on a 55 Ford Tractor done by New Martinsville. (Try hanging the assend out on some of those back-hills roads)

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Be nice to your transmission and it will be nice back.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome,fellow wagon owner and buckeye here,in N.Royalton,20mi south of cleveland.I've had my 03 wagon down the strip many times and have had no tranny issues on just a cobb AP reflash.enjoy your wagon and don't sweat the tranny.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Be nice to your transmission and it will be nice back.
    +1 True!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Thanks to all, glad to be here

glass city in the hizzy!

You might see me around UT in the silver 04 (muddy as ish right now) wagon.
    ~Selah

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Welcome to the club.

if you keep the power levels around stage2 and dont launch the car your transmission should be fine,

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    About the tranny, keep in mind that a forum is a biased source of data. No one starts a thread like "My tranny didn't break today". I never even think about it. Also, I don't see the logic behind the common statement that the failures are due to launching, since usually it is 2nd gear.

I actually wonder if many of these cases aren't due to getting it half in gear and stomping on it. I have noticed on two occasions that engagement of 2nd didn't seem solid even though the shifter went into the notch. I have convinced myself that if I had let out the clutch and stepped into it this would have shredded the tranny, but I caught it both times so IDK. Obviously, this is not the popular take and I don't really know if the idea has any support. Now I have to go knock on wood etc.

Also, grew up in Cleveland area myself, welcome to the club.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.