sell me on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on sell me on it. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have had a few saturn Ion redlines, and we loved them. But my wife is trying to decide between ...

sell me on it.

I have had a few saturn Ion redlines, and we loved them. But my wife is trying to decide between a sti or an evo to be her next car for autocrossing. (I totaled her redline)

What do you guys have to say for or against the sti?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Imho...

If it's just for autocross, I would go EVO. However, if it's going to be a daily driver in addition to some autocross, I would "personally" much prefer the STi.

The EVO vs. STi is not exactly a new debate or topic of discussion... A quick search will return many threads.

All that said we are yet to see all the details on the 2008s, so the above opinion is only on previous USDM models.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh and Welcome to the club!

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Oh and Welcome to the club!

thank you for the welcome. I was aiming for the newer models a new 07 or 08. I have some knowledge of the older ones and they lean me towards the sti. I have seen many problems with the evo's at the track. They run like hell but just don't seem to last.

It depends on how much you want to spend on modifying the car also.

Quote Originally Posted by Feezor View Post
    It depends on how much you want to spend on modifying the car also.
    how do you mean? I put about 20k in each of my redlines and would expect to do the same with her new car. which car would this lean you towards?

I would lean towards the STI. Stock it is thought of that the Evo has better handling and for auto x that would more thab likely be better. But if your planning on putting a decent amount of money into it as your saying you are then I would go with the STI

I would think the evo would be a better choice for autoxing even after modding. But I don't own an evo so what do I know.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

you wont be disappointed with a STi. i promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by redliner View Post
    But my wife is trying to decide between a sti or an evo to be her next car for autocrossing. (I totaled her redline)

What do you guys have to say for or against the sti?
    Against both cars -- it is cheaper and just as fun to autocross a well sorted Miata since the base car will cost thousands less.

If you are also interested in track days, you might look at the Lancer above the Impreza, but if you're mainly going to be driving the car on the road, you could look at the Impreza before the Lancer.

For a car dedicated to auto-x, I'd not spend the money on either. Now, if your wife really likes competing in her local region's class, see what car is most popular in that class among your choices and talk to those owners. Are their times usually comparable? Are parts easy to find and install etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    If this car is going to be a daily driven car and a weekend warrior, no doubt hands down go with an STi. The EVO is a beast, nice car deffinately not refined at all. UNLESS we talk EVO MR. I personally felt that the stock suspension in the EVO is really harsh. I could only imagine a modified EVO suspension. A lot of guys on this forum have gone from WRX's to EVO's. Some have gone from EVO's to STi's. I havent actually seen anyone on here that I know of go from an STi to an EVO.

If this car is strictly an autocross car and her porsche, BMW, Bentley whatever is sitting in the garage waitting for her commute to work, Id personally purchase an E30 BMW.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Against both cars -- it is cheaper and just as fun to autocross a well sorted Miata since the base car will cost thousands less.
    Well said. Autox is about small and light for the most fun.

If you really need to choose between the two go Evo.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thank you all for your input. She looked at a miata and didn't like it. She had a supercharged car with the redline and really wants a turboed car for her next toy/weekend warrior. At the track we have noticed that the sti's are the top running group. Although we have not seen too many evo mr's out there.
    Seeing that she will drive around town in it some, and there is a big aftermarket for the sti, I think that is what we will go with. We are never happy unless we are playing around in the garage.

tell me please, where do you meet a woman like this?
    '02 Stage II WRX PSM Sport Wagon

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redliner View Post
    Thank you all for your input. She looked at a miata and didn't like it. She had a supercharged car with the redline and really wants a turboed car for her next toy/weekend warrior. At the track we have noticed that the sti's are the top running group. Although we have not seen too many evo mr's out there.
    Seeing that she will drive around town in it some, and there is a big aftermarket for the sti, I think that is what we will go with. We are never happy unless we are playing around in the garage.
    I think the STI wil suit her better you can get all the Pink STI stuff

just about everyone takes the STI over the EVO for Daily Drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast