ex-DSMer looking to be a Subi owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ex-DSMer looking to be a Subi owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everybody, I'm Tai from Michigan. I'm looking at getting into a Subi sometime soon so I joined ClubWRX to ...

ex-DSMer looking to be a Subi owner

Hey everybody, I'm Tai from Michigan. I'm looking at getting into a Subi sometime soon so I joined ClubWRX to do some research. I just sold my heavily modded Talon TSi and am looking for something to have fun in but be more reliable and function as a daily driver as well. I look forward to learning more about these cars and am anxious to see the differences and similarities between WRX, STi, and DSMs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club man...You'll find out just about anything you need to know here
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

Banned
    welcome

Sweet. Subies in the SLC. My friend had an 04 WRX that we would take to lunch when we worked together. Michigan winters can get pretty gnarly, but that car was so fun... kinda what made me want one so I can drive it in the winter since it was way more practical than the Talon.

Maybe a wagon so I can use the factory rack for boards in the winter. Any peformance differences between the sedan and wagon models for 02-05?

Quote Originally Posted by taifighter View Post
    Sweet. Subies in the SLC. My friend had an 04 WRX that we would take to lunch when we worked together. Michigan winters can get pretty gnarly, but that car was so fun... kinda what made me want one so I can drive it in the winter since it was way more practical than the Talon.

Maybe a wagon so I can use the factory rack for boards in the winter. Any peformance differences between the sedan and wagon models for 02-05?
    Just weight....my friend has an 02 wagon with same mods as my 03 sedan minus uppipe and i beat him pretty good everytime
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by taifighter View Post
    Any peformance differences between the sedan and wagon models for 02-05?
    No not really. There are some minor differences in the suspension. The drivetrains are identical. I think the wagons might be a tad heavier. You can install wider tires and wheels on the sedan.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Cool. I've never ridden in a wagon, or even seen one for sale around here so I could check it out. KBB.com says the wagon is almost 2in higher (suspended different?), and about 80lbs heavier...hmm. With weight like that in a purpose built vehicle, it would be an issue... but not in a quick street car used for DD. At least for me.
    GRIPNGO

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have the wagon.. it has 3X the cargo capacity of the sedan. Don't be fooled by the trunk on the sedan - all the room in the world doesn't help if you can't even get what you want in it because the opening is so small!

That said - the sedan is SO much nicer looking (my opinion). I have the wagon so I can fit my fishing poles (and it was the only 07 new WRX I could find with the Limited package - I needed leather!).
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Welcome! You'll be thrilled with the reliability of Subaru.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Get something with a six speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Get something with a six speed.
    +1 or put a 6 speed in a wrx

Holy crap, I've just read all 17 pages of the WRX tranny problem thread. I dunno if I wanna throw my cash into another money pit... maybe I should have kept the Talon. They have glass trannys too, but at least I had all the go fast bits taken care of. Oh well. I guess now I'll have to turn my attention to the STi and see what horror stories I hear about them.
    GRIPNGO

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome

the 5spd trannies are fine(if u know how to use em) just dont be hard launching /dropping the clutch at TL's above 4k in 1st

i have a friend who changed his stock clutch on a daily driven stge 4 '02 wrx at 140k miles !

my old '02 269/272tq to wheels driven to 89k miles had no issues

still if yer worried , get a STI
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 10-15-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

The STi is def a possibility. The deciding factor is going to be price, obviously, but also having a car that quick in stock form= reliable in my eyes. I used to want the biggest baddest car possible to drive on the street. The Talon was no joke, but it did leave something to be desired in the practicality department. Now I figure as long as the car is decently quick, it'll be fun on the street and double as an autoX machine. There's a lot to weigh.
    Also, finding one to test drive is going to be a chore.
    GRIPNGO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast