ex-DSMer looking to be a Subi owner - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on ex-DSMer looking to be a Subi owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 I have the wagon.. it has 3X the cargo capacity of the sedan. Don't be fooled ...

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I have the wagon.. it has 3X the cargo capacity of the sedan. Don't be fooled by the trunk on the sedan - all the room in the world doesn't help if you can't even get what you want in it because the opening is so small!

That said - the sedan is SO much nicer looking (my opinion). I have the wagon so I can fit my fishing poles (and it was the only 07 new WRX I could find with the Limited package - I needed leather!).
    Big enough to fit a keg back there. What else could you need?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, enough cargo room to haul the replacement tranny I'll have to buy
    GRIPNGO

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by taifighter View Post
    Yeah, enough cargo room to haul the replacement tranny I'll have to buy
    to show my age... enough cargo room to temporarily put the child-seats in the rear to make room for passengers taller than 2.5 feet.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I guess one could ask if there was enough room under your hatch for a new short block after crank walk?

Don't let the the tranny issue scare you. Find a WRX that hasnt been modded and dont drive it fat fisted. You mentioned the snow and a WRX really is a car you can have an absolute blast in all year long. Backroads/dirtroads in the summer and killing it in the snow all winter long. Lots of trans friendly fun to be had.

Haha, I did the 6 bolt swap/stroker before that happened. But get this: I gave my stock 7bolt crank to a buddy who was rebuilding his 2g... and it walked on him.
    GRIPNGO

OGB
    get the 2008 WRX

the hatch back has alot of room too.

DSM to STi = Good idea

I had a 2g DSM with quite a few mods (still do, sitting in my garage) before my STi. All I can say is that I loved my Talon but there is no comparing it to my STi. In one word the STi is just balanced. It stops and turns like a dream compared to a DSM and even stock the STi is no slouch. If you can afford it go with the STi you won't be sorry. I would even suggest looking for a used STi if you need the price to be a bit lower. Finally, the STi's 6 speed is awesome and the DCCD is rather cool to tinker with. Feel free to ask me if you have any specific DSM to STi questions.
    -Morrison

Hey, thanks. You'll hear from me real soon.
    GRIPNGO

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STI Morry View Post
    I had a 2g DSM with quite a few mods (still do, sitting in my garage) before my STi. All I can say is that I loved my Talon but there is no comparing it to my STi. In one word the STi is just balanced. It stops and turns like a dream compared to a DSM and even stock the STi is no slouch. If you can afford it go with the STi you won't be sorry. I would even suggest looking for a used STi if you need the price to be a bit lower. Finally, the STi's 6 speed is awesome and the DCCD is rather cool to tinker with. Feel free to ask me if you have any specific DSM to STi questions.
    -Morrison
    For me - it wasn't just original cost of the STI that hurt. Going used will save a small amount on what you pay for it (dealers really don't have a hard time getting rid of STIs so they tend not to negotiate too much) - but total cost of ownership (TCO) was what got me in the WRX. If you look on KBB, you will see a substantial difference in TCO for STI versus WRX. Breaks, suspension, etc... are MUCH more expensive. Also, given the insurance jump I took going to a WRX, not sure what an STI would have done. But, like the other guy said - if you can afford it, you'll love it!

Yeah, I see used STis all over Ebay, I'm pretty sure that's where I'll find the car when I'm ready to purchase it. There are plenty of EVOs on there, too.. but the STi seems to run a bit cheaper.
    GRIPNGO

I Support ClubWRX
    Never drove an EVO - I didn't like the look. I always thought the STI and WRX were just so much nicer looking.

Actually, the interior styling was a big influence in me preferring the Sti to the Evo. Also, with the Subi's 2.5 over the Mitsu 2.o, it seems like the STi has more potential. I know when you stroke the 4G63 to 2.3 or 2.4, you get low end power out the @$$... so it stands to reason that the STi could very well need little modding to be up to my expectations. When my DSM was a 2.0 with the Evo 16g turbo at 17 pounds with a 85hp shot of
    n2o, it was awesome. I would learn later how good that set up actually was for street driving and light track use. If I could have that level of performance in an STi, with the added reliability of more modern engineering and styling, I'd be happy. But that's all speculation, until I drive an STi. When that will be is anybody's guess.
    GRIPNGO

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by taifighter View Post
    Hey everybody, I'm Tai from Michigan. I'm looking at getting into a Subi sometime soon so I joined ClubWRX to do some research. I just sold my heavily modded Talon TSi and am looking for something to have fun in but be more reliable and function as a daily driver as well. I look forward to learning more about these cars and am anxious to see the differences and similarities between WRX, STi, and DSMs.
    Whats up Tai ho are you doing? Welcome to the site.

BTW Did you by chance attend Wyo-Tech??

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

No, I didn't attend, but a friend of mine, Seth, went in PA (dunno if they have other campuses) I wish I would have gone, maybe I'd be able to build an awesome car by myself instead of needing help from friends.
    GRIPNGO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12