New To clubwrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New To clubwrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently purchased an '02 WRX that has been significantly modified over stock with a BPM TMIC, BPM GT Exhaust, ...

Thumbs up New To clubwrx

I recently purchased an '02 WRX that has been significantly modified over stock with a BPM TMIC, BPM GT Exhaust, an upgraded turbo (don't know exactly what kind though), BBS Wheels, Brembo Brakes, etc. Like everyone here, I am interested in making the car faster & better looking for as little dinero($) as possible I am waiting on receiving the service manual from EBay that I purchased today. Through my online searching, it appears that most of you have some good, sound tips for modifications, etc. I look forward to learning more about my car and how I can improve its performance and looks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club!

Nice looking bugeye.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Thumbs up

Thanks! Once I get the manual, I'm sure I will be able to tell more about the modifications to the car. The guy I bought the car off of wasn't too knowledgeable about what had & hadn't been done to it. He gave me a list of modifications that he received from the first owner, but it is not real specific for some modifications as in brand names, etc. All I know is that is faster than anything I've ever driven. Well, my motorcycle might be a little quicker off the gun, but not much.

Welcome!

Post more pics, I'm sure we could help you out.

welcome to the club man. good lookin sooby
    "Whatever it takes"

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

Great looking Subie you got yourself!!

Enjoy your time here with us!
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Nice bug-eye. I always loved yellow bugeyes with black morette(or similar) headlights. If you get some spare time, take off the turbo heat-shield and try to take pics of any numbers, letters, or anything stamped in on the turbo. We will be able to tell you what kind and about how much WHP your car should have, depending on the tune. That makes me think a bit. What kind of EM is on the car if any??? I always said to myself that if I ever bought a car with a turbo that was orig N/A, or bought a car with an upgraded turbo, that I would go to check/get the tune. You don't want to blow up a car you just bought. Not saying yours is going to. But with an upgraded turbo and no tune, that is not so good for the engine.

Welcome and enjoy!!!! There is so much to read and learn from here. Plus the people are nice and hardly flame(unless severly diserved). Unlike some other sites out there.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club,take care of your bugeye.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    you guys make me jealous... I bought my WRX bran-spankin new so I am afraid to touch anything on it until I wear it in a bit. Those of you buying used cars upgrade right away (or purchase them already upgraded!)

have a blast - after buying mine new, I have a long time before I can convince the wife to let me spend on mods!
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

In response to blackzwrx, the papers say that it has a fuel management system. I don't know if that would be the same as the EM (which I assume might be short for Engine Management). It also appears to only have 1 catalytic converter. If I'm not mistaken, I heard some place that the stock WRX exhaust has 2 or 3 cats? Is that true? I will try to get numbers off of the upgraded turbo. The car is an '02 with only 14,300+/- original miles on the clock. It runs great, and I haven't had any real issues with it. The check engine light has come on twice since I've had the car. The first time was after I was forced to put 88 octane fuel in the car because that was the highest octane fuel the station had (tiny town I was driving through). The second time was after some idiot in a small SUV decided to blow by me on the interstate because he thought 85 mph wasn't fast enough. I kindly accepted his challenge and blew by him as if here were standing still. I got up to just over 100 mph pretty quickly but slowed after the check engine light came on. It remained on for about a day, but it then went off the next day? I haven't been over 100 mph in the car since, and I haven't had a problem with the light coming on again even under hard acceleration. Could the engine light coming on have anything to do with the amount of air flow (or lack thereof) that the car was sucking in at speeds exceeding 100 mph? This car is a daily driver for me, but I would like to know that (if need be) I can exceed 100 mph without the check engine light coming on. Could I possibly solve the problem with an aftermarket cold air intake that extends into the fender? Or, is this not the problem at all? I know that I can hook up an engine diagnotic tester. But, I really don't want to have to duplicate the check engine light scenario if I don't have to. Any suggestions? Or, has anyone had a similar scenario happen with their WRX? I'm pretty sure that the first time the engine light came on it was the result or low octane fuel because it flickered for a bit and then went off. But, the 2nd instance (exceeding 100 mph) it remained on and steady for a full day.

Hello and welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

alewis814
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeYellowWRX View Post
    In response to blackzwrx, the papers say that it has a fuel management system. I don't know if that would be the same as the EM (which I assume might be short for Engine Management). It also appears to only have 1 catalytic converter. If I'm not mistaken, I heard some place that the stock WRX exhaust has 2 or 3 cats? Is that true? I will try to get numbers off of the upgraded turbo. The car is an '02 with only 14,300+/- original miles on the clock. It runs great, and I haven't had any real issues with it. The check engine light has come on twice since I've had the car. The first time was after I was forced to put 88 octane fuel in the car because that was the highest octane fuel the station had (tiny town I was driving through). The second time was after some idiot in a small SUV decided to blow by me on the interstate because he thought 85 mph wasn't fast enough. I kindly accepted his challenge and blew by him as if here were standing still. I got up to just over 100 mph pretty quickly but slowed after the check engine light came on. It remained on for about a day, but it then went off the next day? I haven't been over 100 mph in the car since, and I haven't had a problem with the light coming on again even under hard acceleration. Could the engine light coming on have anything to do with the amount of air flow (or lack thereof) that the car was sucking in at speeds exceeding 100 mph? This car is a daily driver for me, but I would like to know that (if need be) I can exceed 100 mph without the check engine light coming on. Could I possibly solve the problem with an aftermarket cold air intake that extends into the fender? Or, is this not the problem at all? I know that I can hook up an engine diagnotic tester. But, I really don't want to have to duplicate the check engine light scenario if I don't have to. Any suggestions? Or, has anyone had a similar scenario happen with their WRX? I'm pretty sure that the first time the engine light came on it was the result or low octane fuel because it flickered for a bit and then went off. But, the 2nd instance (exceeding 100 mph) it remained on and steady for a full day.
    get a front mount intercooler

Blazeyelloewrx: That CEL can come on for about 200 reasons. You do not have to duplicate the secanerio, as the DTC is stored in your ECM and could be read anytime that power is on. Also if you were pulling very hard under boost and your CEL came on, that could poss be a P0171(if my memory serves me correctly) Or a DTC that says "fuel system too lean" and that would be bad. Since you just bought your car and you had 2 seprate occasions with a CEL I would deffinatly have that checked. And still I would look into what kind of "fuel managment" you have as that only controlls fuel and not timing, spark, KC, MAF g/sec, ect, ect. You get my point? If you spent a good amount of money on a car, wouldn't you want to make sure that it stays a nice car?

EDIT: CAI=bad news. Or a new tune on your EM/FM that you don't know what it is. <------- not being mean, just trying to watch out for you.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    EDIT: CAI=bad news. Or a new tune on your EM/FM that you don't know what it is. <------- not being mean, just trying to watch out for you.
    +1 cold air intakes = subaru engines running lean..or is it rich..pretty sure its lean. if im wrong some1 correct me

whatever it is its definelty not a good thing for your setup
    "Whatever it takes"

Welcome, congrats on the new car. Do you know the history of it, you should probably get it to someone who knows a lot about these cars to give it a once over, list your mods and make sure your tune is in order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.