Bought a modded 2003 WRX

This is a discussion on Bought a modded 2003 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and totally new to wrx's. I bought a 2003 WRX 2 days ago ...

Question Bought a modded 2003 WRX

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum and totally new to wrx's. I bought a 2003 WRX 2 days ago that has been modded fairly well. From what the guy told me, he bought all the parts (aftermarket tmic, fuel injectors, short ram intake, full turbo-back exhaust system, and entire suspension setup) and had a shop in San Jose, CA tune the car to work perfectly with them all.

Only problem is.. he told me the boost is set to limit at 21psi, which I've heard is incredibly too high and unsafe for a mostly-stock WRX. So my question is this: how do I lower the limit back down to say, 15-16psi? Would I have to have the ecu re-tuned? Is there an easy way to manually adjust the waste gate? I'm very worried about screwing up this car that I've only owned 2 days. Thanks in advance! Nice site you got here, btw!

- Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

21 psi is ok if it is tuned for it....what u see is others doin it with out tunes and with Manual boost controllers, and that turns bad fast..if it is tuned for it, u should be fine...i top out at 19-20psi!!
    SPONSORS for Rally:AMSOIL, Livewire Energy, Six-feet deep clothing, ARS(Aluminum Rapid Shelters), and FatHeads Eyewear.

Congrats on the 'new' WRX! Like you, I bought my car modded too. Your car will be ok for the most part, depending on your setup and goals. This would be a great chance to really get to know your car better by modding it yourself.
    Personally, I run 18-19psi with a conservative tune and it's really stable.

Please post up pics if you get the chance and a mod list.
    2002 WRB
    VF34, EDM projectors, TEIN Flex coilovers, STi RA tranny, Brembos, STi interior, etc.

Thanks! And *phew* I was under the impression that 21psi was way too high. The last owner seemed to think it was a safe range.

Gawd I love this car.. I just want to keep it running well and not break anything because of ignorance. Off to do more research!

Here she is:

The loser didn't keep ANY paperwork, but here's what I can remember him telling me it has:

Perrin Adjustable Coilovers
    Cobb Intake
    STI Pink Injectors
    Some kind of larger TMIC
    HKS Sway bars
    EVO Enkei Rims
    Nexum Tires
    Generic Boost Gauge
    Some kind of downpipe
    Invidia catback (?or more?)
    OBX Muffler

That's all I can remember.. didn't say it had any internal modding, that's why I was worried about the boosting. Anyway, thanks guys!
    Last edited by mistasam02; 10-06-2007 at 12:48 AM.

don't abuse her, treat her right and she'll be fine. kinda like a real woman

it looks amazing bro, kinda makes me cry when i compare the look to my 06 lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #181

Hey I'm just glad to be part of this crazy slotcar community!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC