Hola ppl
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hola ppl within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First, let me say that I'm the proud owner of a 2007 STi... Trademark WR Blue and gold.. Needless to ...

Rev

Hola ppl

First, let me say that I'm the proud owner of a 2007 STi... Trademark WR Blue and gold.. Needless to say, I don't mind driving places anymore..

With that out of the way, I have a question. I've had my car for all of 1 week now, and am still in my break-in period. So, I'm a bit confused about my shifter. Shifting was smooth as butter when I picked up my car. I was a little surprised since I had read about so many people complaining about the shifter being 'notchy'. Well, low and behold, I awaken today to find my shifter ridiculously hard to shift. 1->2 and 2->3 almost wouldn't happen. Ever since, it's been quite rough. Rather than a smooth flow from one gear to the next, it moves in stepped increments. It pops from 1rst to some middle region between 1rst and 2nd, and then into second. Same thing happens for 2-> 3. 3->4 is sometimes smooth and sometimes resistant.

Now, I've surfed through the forums for a while. I know that some people find it notchy, others talk about it needing to warm up, and yet others talk about factor defects.. It's been about a decade, since I've driven a stick so I'm not sure what qualifies as 'notchy'.. I haven't been rough with the car, and I've never stalled. I ease out on the upshift and rev match on the downshift.

I'm just a bit concerned because it is a hardcore difference from the ultrasmooth shifting I had the first 5 days.. Not really problematic, but very coarse.. I don't want to run it too much and get told that the problem is from 'abuse' if it later becomes a problem because I didn't get it checked out sooner.

I would just take it up to subaru, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in the dealership here.

Sorry for a stupid long first post..

Peace
    Last edited by Rev; 10-03-2007 at 03:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club!...
    The car may have been warm when you picked it up... After warm up the shifting is always noticeably smoother. It will also take some time to get used to the STi and how it behaves sometimes. Give it time and you will learn how some things that effect shifting. Like cold/warm weather, cold/warm car, AC running, etc.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Rev
    I was hoping as much... It just seemed like a radical change over the last 48hrs.. As long as it's not me, then I'm cool with it..

After dropping 34k on the car, I really can't afford to start messing things up right out of the box.. heh... And as I said before, even if it came defective, I'd probably have a real fight with my dealership to get anything done..

Thanks..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.