Just got an '08 WRX sedan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just got an '08 WRX sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, after hemming and hawing for a few months, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I was originally looking ...

Just got an '08 WRX sedan

Well, after hemming and hawing for a few months, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I was originally looking at an '07 Legacy GT but I saw the new WRX sedan on the lot and I really liked the way it looked. It came down to either getting a used '07 Legacy GT (~5,000-7,000 miles) or a new '08 WRX. I got a great deal on it (I paid 25,718 +TTL for a silver premium 5MT sedan) and decided to get a new car.

Now here is my question. I am a bit paranoid about this whole engine break-in procedure and I have actually broken the rules a few times (it's hard not to the WRX is just so much fun). I would say that I have ventured over 4,000 rpm a few times in brief spurts of acceleration but I've never gone over 5,000. From now on, I'm going to try hard to behave and drive it easy until I reach the 1,000 mile mark. I'm coming from a minivan so...it's hard not to explore it a bit.

So, the question is, the car has 240 miles on it and I got it with 90 miles on it. Do you think I've done any damage or will everything be alright as long as I behave from now on out. Again, I haven't launched it or raced the engine or anything, just gotten a little overzealous a few times on on-ramps.

And by the way, I'll try and get some pictures up as soon as I can find my camera.

Thanks everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by skiaddict View Post
    Well, after hemming and hawing for a few months, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I was originally looking at an '07 Legacy GT but I saw the new WRX sedan on the lot and I really liked the way it looked. It came down to either getting a used '07 Legacy GT (~5,000-7,000 miles) or a new '08 WRX. I got a great deal on it (I paid 25,718 +TTL for a silver premium 5MT sedan) and decided to get a new car.

Now here is my question. I am a bit paranoid about this whole engine break-in procedure and I have actually broken the rules a few times (it's hard not to the WRX is just so much fun). I would say that I have ventured over 4,000 rpm a few times in brief spurts of acceleration but I've never gone over 5,000. From now on, I'm going to try hard to behave and drive it easy until I reach the 1,000 mile mark. I'm coming from a minivan so...it's hard not to explore it a bit.

So, the question is, the car has 240 miles on it and I got it with 90 miles on it. Do you think I've done any damage or will everything be alright as long as I behave from now on out. Again, I haven't launched it or raced the engine or anything, just gotten a little overzealous a few times on on-ramps.

And by the way, I'll try and get some pictures up as soon as I can find my camera.

Thanks everyone!
    wow man, i am in the EXACT position you are. i got the car yesterday and drove it all day. i bought it with 35 miles and now i have 312 lol. i jus wanna go to redline, but i havent. lol i know how you feel man

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up Cool!

Welcome to the club!

I would take it easy during the break in period but I doubt the car will blow up prematurely just because you crept over 4k a few times.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Welcome to the boards! Be sure to post pictures of your new 08.

You have not done any damage to the car, just try and keep her under 4,000 rpms till 1,000mi.

Here is the basic break-in:

Stay under 4,000 RPMs
    Do not floor the gas pedal
    Try to vary your RPM range. Do not travel in 5th gear for 2 hours straight.
    @ 1,000mi get an oil change to flush out any metal shavings and particles that have come off during break in.

Also, you will find that the car stinks when you park it. That is a combination of new Tires + new clutch + the engine is burning off polyurethane spray that is put on to prevent damage during transportation.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 09-30-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the 08,have fun.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

welcome to the club
    post some pics
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to be a part of a community where I can get some answers to questions regarding the new car. For some information about myself, I'm a mechanical engineer and I work in the aerospace industry. I have never had a turbo car before so I'm glad I have a place to find information and support from other members. If there is anyone in my area, it'd be nice to plan some sort of get together or meet.

I have read some other places that there is a WRX thumbs up or wave, kind of like the Jeep thing. I have also read some other posts (not necessarily here) that a lot of the guys are not going to wave to anyone in the new '08's because they don't like them or think they're ugly. All I have to say is give the new one's a chance. I never would have thought I'd be in a WRX before the new body style came out. So, I'm going to wave anyways because in the end, we're all proud REX owner's

Since you've never had a turbo car, make sure you ONLY use 91+ octane fuel, keep an eye on oil changes, and make sure your coolant levels are optimal (coolant is used to lower turbo temperatures).

Everyone who is an enthusiast will wave to you. I love waving, and I hate it when a person isnt an enthusiast and just looks ahead and wont say hi. I doubt anyone will discriminate for you having the new (and sexier, imho) WRX. I will have a new STi hatch soon.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Since you've never had a turbo car, make sure you ONLY use 91+ octane fuel, keep an eye on oil changes, and make sure your coolant levels are optimal (coolant is used to lower turbo temperatures).

Everyone who is an enthusiast will wave to you. I love waving, and I hate it when a person isnt an enthusiast and just looks ahead and wont say hi. I doubt anyone will discriminate for you having the new (and sexier, imho) WRX. I will have a new STi hatch soon.
    my friend always would tell me about the friendliness of the Subi owners. i previously owned a Scion tC and jus about ever other owner is a jerk. they would always give you a hardass look, or try and race you. and for the record i never lost to a Honda or another Scion while i owned mine.

but i look forward to all the friendliness. last night (first night i had the car) i was approached and asked to cruise with a Legacy owner. so far, so good

Banned
    Teach that Bish who's it's daddy. Go bounce the dang thing off the rev limiter a couple times. Then do donuts

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Teach that Bish who's it's daddy. Go bounce the dang thing off the rev limiter a couple times. Then do donuts

i cannot wait for this lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik_WRX View Post
    i cannot wait for this lol
    I was kidding I wouldn't worry too much about the breakin. Just don't over do it. 5k is ok 6k meh 6.75

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I was kidding I wouldn't worry too much about the breakin. Just don't over do it. 5k is ok 6k meh 6.75
    once i hit the 1000 mile mark, i will do this though lol

welcome. good choice with the suby. i'd just follow the break in instructinos as closely as possible. alot of people have diffferent theories on what is best way to break an engine in but i'd say thats definately the safest. as for anyone blowing you off because u drive an 08, i think you can come up with an appropriate gesture. We are a friendly bunch for the most part and if someone isn't you don't wanna talk to them anyways.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

congrats man! most subie guys are nice, some arent though. I got beside a guy in a bugeye saturday night with a big fart can and loud BOV. i waved and he just kinda looked at me. I didnt want to race, i wanted to stop and talk cars!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast