Launch RPM and Cobb AccessPort 1.0
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Launch RPM and Cobb AccessPort 1.0 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; HI, I am kinda new to my WRX. Its an '05 with a decent amount of mods. I was just ...

Launch RPM and Cobb AccessPort 1.0

HI, I am kinda new to my WRX. Its an '05 with a decent amount of mods. I was just wondering what a good launch RPM is. I can't seem to get the perfect one. Also, i just got a accessPort 1.0 and I am afraid to plug it in and start punching buttons. Any pointers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't launch - that's my advice. But if you are going to anyway, try to launch at an RPM that is past where you build max boost. I don't even remember where the stock turbo hits max boost, I would guess 4000rpm's would be a safe launch rpm. Just bear in mind that it's going to wear your clutch quite a bit faster.

For the AP - if you are stock, plug it in and flash to stage 1 ASAP. If you've got mods, make sure they are safe for use with the AP map you are considering.

Try to find a local member or two in your local area to meet up with, see what mods they have and how it's affected their car.
    Last edited by Micah; 09-25-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club!

Please take a moment to click the link in my signagture.
    Additionally, check out our Drag Forum for more info on launching.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the Cobb fora and web page for info on how their device works.

Don't launch on tarmac, it's tacky. Launch on gravel only. Slip the clutch gradually and be ready to disengage it again if needed so you don't bog. Driveline bits are expensive so keep that in mind.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Don't launch. Hard on the drivetrain.

Download the Cobb AP manual and follow directions. Stage 1 for a stock Wrx. Stage 2 for an uppipe, downpipe, and exhaust (since your 05). Choose the map for the octane gas you can get 93 v. 91
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Are you dropping the clutch when you launch? If so, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you want to spend the dough for a new one...

I massage my clutch every night before bed....

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Don't launch - that's my advice.
    Haha, Micah, check your sig!

" Guess who needs to learn how to launch! "
    02 WRX
    New England F4

yeah, that was referring to my track time which was on a slipping clutch on the 5-speed. I just updated my sig to be a bit more accurate.

In retrospect, had I left my slipping clutch in place I would still have a 5-speed. It only slipped if I tried to launch, it was fine for normal and even agressive driving.

Screw it - at least I have a 2006 STI trans now. It's nice to have for the beefier components and close ratios.
    Last edited by Micah; 09-25-2007 at 04:51 PM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    yeah, that was referring to my track time which was on a slipping clutch on the 5-speed. I just updated my sig to be a bit more accurate.

In retrospect, had I left my slipping clutch in place I would still have a 5-speed. It only slipped if I tried to launch, it was fine for normal and even agressive driving.

Screw it - at least I have a 2006 STI trans now. It's nice to have for the beefier components and close ratios.
    I was only messin' with yah, but how's that 6-speed?
    02 WRX
    New England F4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.