New too..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New too.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am new to the Subi too... My last HP car was the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - I thought ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

New too..

I am new to the Subi too... My last HP car was the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - I thought it was quick at the time, until I drove the WRX. I got the last new 2007 in Vermont as I wasn't much of a fan of the 08 model yet.

Stupid question - The dealer made a big stink out of the break-in period of the car. I have to say, I have gone past the recommended 4000 RPM 5-6 times, but not redlined. I can't imagine its that bad - am I pretty normal in doing that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

It's best to introduce yourself in your own thread... not in someone else's introduction thread...

So I'm moving you to your own thread!

Welcome to the club! Some people swear by the break-ing period and some don't... I would lean toward the side of caution and the manufacturers instructions. However, I don't think your car will blow up just because you went a little over a few times.

Please take a moment to click & explore the link in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Break in? There are a few schools of thought regarding break in. I did pretty much the same break in you have so far. 34k+ miles later the engine burns no discernable amount of oil. There are those who think WOT (wide open throttle) break-ins quickly seat the engine parts making for a positive break in. The debate goes on
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Post a pic when you get a chance too!
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    There are those who think WOT (wide open throttle) break-ins quickly seat the engine parts making for a positive break in. The debate goes on
    Who are these people and why do they think they know more than the manufacturer about how to break in their engine?

To the OP, just chill out and take it easy for the first 1,000 miles. Keep it under 4,000 rpm as much as possible. It's better than burning oil like crazy later.

I Support ClubWRX

pics

here they are...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_7057.jpg   100_7060.jpg  
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

DUB
    mmmmmm......nice and clean.

I Support ClubWRX
    She is very pretty!
    -The J

welcome to the club!!!!

Banned
    Nice ride welcome.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't go too crazy during the break in period.Have fun with your suby.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX

breaks

Since I started posting - I haven't gone over 4000 RPM (argh)..

However - I just washed the car even though it was less than 1 week old because the break dust was all over my rims. It took a lot of scrubbing to get the dust off. Is this normal for a new Subi, or am I going to be dealing with this forever? My rims are so nice, but I don't think I have the energy to clean them every week (especially when it goes to 30 below in the Vermont winter).

My only experience with new cars was American where they run the engine for 10 hours on a stand before putting it in the car (which is why there is no break-in), and the breaks are so brittle they never produce dust - just warp rotors in 10K miles!

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post

However - I just washed the car even though it was less than 1 week old because the break dust was all over my rims. It took a lot of scrubbing to get the dust off. Is this normal for a new Subi, or am I going to be dealing with this forever? My rims are so nice, but I don't think I have the energy to clean them every week (especially when it goes to 30 below in the Vermont winter).

My only experience with new cars was American where they run the engine for 10 hours on a stand before putting it in the car (which is why there is no break-in), and the breaks are so brittle they never produce dust - just warp rotors in 10K miles!
    Welcome to the world of brake dust... my stockers where dust crazy and im know using Hawks HPS pads and its better but not a great deal of releif... Im not super knowledgeable with suby's as well so maybe another can give us both some advise as far as this goes
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post

The dust is normal. Especially on a performance brake. Find a good tire cleaning product (I used "Eagle 1") and keep it on hand.
    -The J

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot to update...

So I took my car back to the dealer as the car pulsed on breaking. The dealer had to turn the rotors (argh..) because rust had built up while the car was sitting in the dealer lot. When I bought the car - it had 27 miles on it. While I pushed for new rotors, they would only turn them and warranty them just as if they were new. I now have break dust that I would consider normal - I knew I had WAY too much before. I was cleaning my wheels every 3 days before, now I can go weeks without any build up.

All that said - I absolutely love this car and can't wait for the snow. I used to be jealous watching the AWD cars on the road. Now I got one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.