Comments on driving my 07 STI lmtd in Ma winter - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Comments on driving my 07 STI lmtd in Ma winter within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That gives me a lot to think about. Maybe I will drive the STI this winter. That means have to ...

Smile

That gives me a lot to think about. Maybe I will drive the STI this winter. That means have to sell the Jeep. Thanks for all the comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice car,it looks great!
    Hey,I live in Maine,and last week I bought an '05 STi.....as a winter car.
    I grabbed a set of V-rated Blizzaks, new ceramic pads (Hawk),some slotted rotors,and some dry-gas,and it's No Worries,imo.
    I'm leaving the stock BBS rims on the car,mine aren't in 100% flawless condition,and in the spring I'm gonna' have them professionally refinished & painted 'gunmetal gray' before I put it up for the summer to concentrate on the RX-8.
    I got rid of a 2WD Toyota Tundra figuring this would be more fun,and since NE winters can be a rolling Drift Party,I can't wait- WhOoHOo!

Oh,and I wash my vehicles every 5-7 days to keep salt-based issues to a minimum.
    Subaru has good sheet=metal,don't sweat the winter driving.
    Last edited by STiXXX; 09-26-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    When life hands you lemons,force induction.

Quote Originally Posted by stitime View Post
    That gives me a lot to think about. Maybe I will drive the STI this winter. That means have to sell the Jeep. Thanks for all the comments.
    That's why the automotive Gods gave it AWD just bustin your chopps. No but really go on youtube and type in WRX snow doughnuts and see how many clips you'll get. The WRX was meant to be driven in the snow as long as you wash the salt off like some one suggested you shouldn't really see any rust at all. I drove mine for 4 winters now and its fine, granted if you live in a place that has snow/salt for most of the winter then keeping it clean or getting a coat of automotive rust protector sprayed on the bottom of the car should protect it much better from rusting.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

I'd also recomend a set of mudflaps. I got the RallyArmor ones last winter and fell in love with them. It is amazing the amount of crap they keep off the sides of your car in the winter. Like everyone else said, wash her whenever the temp gets over freezing and enjoy yourself...

winter is when our cars shine. Makes me happy not to be a mustang owner
    '02 Stage II WRX PSM Sport Wagon

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

She lost her skirt.

Don't mudflaps require drilling into the edge of the wheel wells? Any suggestions on how that's done. The thought of reving up the cordless with my new STI is a little scary.

Already had to remove the 2" black front lower air skirt (came stock on my '07 STI limited) - a family member that shall remain nameless cracked it going into a driveway. Still looks good without it.

what is the purpose of that piece of plastic - looks only?

Quote Originally Posted by stitime View Post
    Don't mudflaps require drilling into the edge of the wheel wells? Any suggestions on how that's done. The thought of reving up the cordless with my new STI is a little scary.

Already had to remove the 2" black front lower air skirt (came stock on my '07 STI limited) - a family member that shall remain nameless cracked it going into a driveway. Still looks good without it.

what is the purpose of that piece of plastic - looks only?
    It was the wife or gf wasn't it? j/k Sell that jeep and use the money to get a set of cheap wheels and blizzaks.

are there any removable mudflaps that don't require drilling? I want a set to rock temporarily during the winter months.
    2007 OBP WRX LTD
    Cobb Accessport v2 Stage 2
    McCulloch 5000K HIDs h7
    DDM Slim 3000K HIDs h3
    HKS Carbon-Ti Exhaust
    Whiteline 24mm adj. FSB
    Invidia v2 bellmouth downpipe
    Pioneer Avic-D3 w/ CD-I200 Ipod cable & CD-R55 remote

My flaps only use existing holes in the wheel wells, not sure about the any other kinds. Im not sure if you're talking about the front spoiler (lip) or the plastic underpan. Spoiler is just for looks (someone can try and argue it with me but you're wrong ), but the underpan actually protects the underside of the engine bay, so I would get that replaced if you cracked it.

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

Hey welcome to the club. I live in Boston. You should post in the New England section and join New England Flat 4:
    ***New England F4 [Mega Thread]***

In terms of the winter, the WRX and STi are very capable. I have never had an issue. As long as the snow is not too deep and hard packed you will be fine. The only issue is ground clearance and preventing your bumper from cracking under the pressure of hard packed snow. For on road driving you will be 100% fine.

Make sure you get a good set of Winter Tires. I used to run All Seasons and frankly, I love AWD + Winter Tires.

I would recommend Dunlop Winter Sport M3. They are a High Performance Winter Tire. They are meaty and have big threads for the snow (and channels for ice), but they also have hard side walls for when the streets are 100% paved and you want to enjoy your performance car. Most snow tires are very soft and that prevents you from enjoying a nice curvy road on a dry sunny day.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Yes I was referring to the lip not the under carraige cover. I removed just the lip that attached under the bumper. What type of mud flaps do you have that do not require drilling?

RallyArmor.

They are pretty nice, I'm a fan

link for the STi page
    http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/rall...i-c-60_66.html

Teh Wagon

it all depends on your driving style. if you are going to be driving like an idiot in the snow the best winter tires in the world wont help. i drove two winters ago on my stocks and then got some blizzak revo 1's. amazing tires and meant for really heavy snow fall. i say try a winter and if you cant make it then fork out the cash.
    xTristanx
    New England F4
    Blobeye Syndicate #27
    Mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12