Just purchased 2003 WRX.

This is a discussion on Just purchased 2003 WRX. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased my 2003 WRX 3 days ago. I just recently got into the car game, and i have ...

Smile Just purchased 2003 WRX.

I just purchased my 2003 WRX 3 days ago. I just recently got into the car game, and i have very little knowledge of what it takes to maintain my car, especially when I'm treating it a little more aggressively compared to my former commuter car. So heres the deal, I love the AWD the stock turbo and all the things that make the wrx such an awesome ride. I bought my car with 45000 miles from a subaru dealership. The car was dropped maybe 2 inches, has a 6 piece kit, 06 rims. Otherwise as far as performance it is bone stock. However, i wouldn't doubt that the former owner abused it a little bit.

So the deal is I've been researching the wrx's performance as a drag car. Obviously it is not built for drag racing, from what i read it has a fairly weak chassis, i mean after all it is a rally inspired car.

So like an idiot, i raced my friends 3000gt, 350z, and 330xi. With a total of about 5 races. I obviously lost against all three of them. However that is not the problem. Once i finished racing, i finally came to my senses and realized that i just abused my car. My launching was not the greatest. I was reving at about 5 rpms, and i dropped the clutch really quick, and on every 3rd honk i guess i "bogged" did that about 5 times. Otherwise i think my shifting after was pretty good. I've been driving around and everything feels good, i mean the shifting isn't as smooth as my former Civic. But from my understanding that is just how WRX's are.My overall question is What sorts of diagnostics tests can i perform to see if its still in good working order. Specifically my clutch, since i heard to replace the wrx clutch may cost up to $6000.

Any advice would be a great help. THANKS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Edrickb View Post
    I just purchased my 2003 WRX 3 days ago. I just recently got into the car game, and i have very little knowledge of what it takes to maintain my car, especially when I'm treating it a little more aggressively compared to my former commuter car. So heres the deal, I love the AWD the stock turbo and all the things that make the wrx such an awesome ride. I bought my car with 45000 miles from a subaru dealership. The car was dropped maybe 2 inches, has a 6 piece kit, 06 rims. Otherwise as far as performance it is bone stock. However, i wouldn't doubt that the former owner abused it a little bit.

So the deal is I've been researching the wrx's performance as a drag car. Obviously it is not built for drag racing, from what i read it has a fairly weak chassis, i mean after all it is a rally inspired car.

So like an idiot, i raced my friends 3000gt, 350z, and 330xi. With a total of about 5 races. I obviously lost against all three of them. However that is not the problem. Once i finished racing, i finally came to my senses and realized that i just abused my car. My launching was not the greatest. I was reving at about 5 rpms, and i dropped the clutch really quick, and on every 3rd honk i guess i "bogged" did that about 5 times. Otherwise i think my shifting after was pretty good. I've been driving around and everything feels good, i mean the shifting isn't as smooth as my former Civic. But from my understanding that is just how WRX's are.My overall question is What sorts of diagnostics tests can i perform to see if its still in good working order. Specifically my clutch, since i heard to replace the wrx clutch may cost up to $6000.

Greetings and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by Edrickb View Post
    Specifically my clutch, since i heard to replace the wrx clutch may cost up to $6000.

Its not the clutch you should be worrying about but your transmission gears with clutch dumps. Clutch replacement is no where near 6000. A full PPG or STi 6-Speed Trans swap will be though.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #008
    Mods:
    Fuzzy Dice

Quote Originally Posted by brain juice View Post
    Its not the clutch you should be worrying about but your transmission gears with clutch dumps. Clutch replacement is no where near 6000. A full PPG or STi 6-Speed Trans swap will be though.

EXACTLY. I'm suprised you didnt break something dropping the clutch like that those few times... that's death to your transmission. be careful!!!!

Banned
    lets see some pics doo .. i wana see 06 rims on an 03