New Member 2007 STi-- With some important questions! (pics also)

This is a discussion on New Member 2007 STi-- With some important questions! (pics also) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's nice to join this site, i plan on learning a great deal about these incredible cars through all of ...

New Member 2007 STi-- With some important questions! (pics also)

It's nice to join this site, i plan on learning a great deal about these incredible cars through all of you.

I recently purchased a 2007 Sti with 900 miles from the dealer and it had a pre-installed borla exhaust, cat back. I currently have 1600 miles. I have read on other forums of problems with the 07's stock tune, will the exhaust on my 2007 make that problem worse?

Im driving the car 2900 miles in a few weeks, im hoping that Im just freaking myself out and that it's not all of the 07's and im just overworrying. I know people have had success with the Cobb ap but i have a 100k warranty and I don't want to blow that, and the car's performance stock is incredible i just want to make sure it is reliable!

Somebody assure me that my car is ok and i will make it from so cal to detroit with no problems.

Thanks for any help, i look forward to some quality time here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

Congratulations on your beautiful new STi!

It's "ok"! You will be alright.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome and congrats on yer new scooby

yeah you'll be fine dont worry about the exhaust.
    I havent heard anything bad about the stock ecu on the 07 either
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Congrats! Purty WRB STI there!

The exhaust will cause no problems to your car. All it basically is, given that its only a Cat Back Exhaust (CBE), is a noise maker (and what a sweet noise it makes!).

The things you have heard about the 07 STI ECUs are hit or miss, but are true. I've noticed some 07s have the issue, some don't. Some have them more severly than others. I will agree that I noticed the issue on my STI when I first got it (10 months ago). The stock Mapping of the ECU seemed to make it "notchy" or jumpy, especially when getting on the gas between 3-4k rpms. Sometimes you would mash the pedal and it would take a second for the boost to kick in, or for the throttle to respond or little things like that. It supposedly does have something to do with the Open Loop and Closed Loop fuel systems settings (thats a story to get into later). But its not a bad problem...it just might make you jerk around a little more, stock.

I am ran Stage 1 with the Cobb AP for roughly 3 months and it was a blast. It virtually smoothed over the power band and made it spool a bit quicker and produced a little more overall power. Stage 1 will rectify the ECU mapping "problem." I am now running stage 2 with an upgraded Turbo Back Exhaust system and I absolutely love it. The power is insane and its much quicker than even the stock beast that it is...

These are very reliable cars and if you treat them right, they will treat you right, as with any car. I suggest getting your oil changed immediately before your long trip and definitely once its over (especially since you will have gone 3000 miles, time for it anyway). It should be one hell of an enjoyable adventure for you.

Goodluck!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    welcome and congrats on yer new scooby

yeah you'll be fine dont worry about the exhaust.
    I havent heard anything bad about the stock ecu on the 07 either
    There are several posts/logs/tuners and just about everything else stating the ecu tune on the 07 STI is just about awful. Being stoich at full boost probaly isnt the safest way to tune.

I remember reading one case where a car with just a catback bit the bullet but I highly doubt the catback had anything to do with it.

I'd suggest NOT resetting your ECU anytime soon or during the trip and try to use higher levels of fuel. Also downshift instead of going WOT in 6th to pass people.

I'm still a tad bit skeptical of Cobb's V 1.03 map as a "fix" for the issue. There are some logs on nasioc which are a little disconcerning but that might be because it doesnt match that particular car well.

I'm waiting for a either a Protune or v 1.04 to come out where they take care of the advance learning that the ECU does.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome,have a blast with the STI.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Thanks for all of the incite guys. One more quick question.

When driving across, how often should I use my i/c spray during my drive? I plan on driving 10+ hrs a day so i'll be moving quite awhile.

I went to the dealer cause I was scared about the 07 but he said not to worry, just makes sure I check my oil every thousand miles and make sure it's always where it needs to be.

It's refreshing, I don't like having spent this much on a car if I can't enjoy it! As long as I take care of it I guess im ok then, right? I always drive my car mellow, but when im on it, which is at least once a day, IM ON IT Hopefully I can continue to enjoy this car and drive it like it wants to be driven

Thanks again.

On long drives...it won't matter much...there will be consistent air flow going to the Intercooler to keep it as cool as it can get without having a bag of ice on it. Spray it as much as you want or as little as you want because its only water. Just know that the more you use it, the faster you will run out and have to refill the tank in the trunk
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Beautiful! Welcome
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to our club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Concerns on modding '07 STi

Nice car!

You sound like me with your concerns. I've had mine since May 15th, 2007 and already have 10,500 on it. Damn thats alot of miles already! I drive 65 miles one way to work daily five days a week and I too am interested in quality mods that are fun but reliable. Lets keep in touch with threads/posts/ideas. Also, I'm a ex-NORCAL resident (San Fran). I really miss the weather out there!

Quote Originally Posted by 2007STIBRETT View Post
    Thanks for all of the incite guys. One more quick question.

When driving across, how often should I use my i/c spray during my drive? I plan on driving 10+ hrs a day so i'll be moving quite awhile.

I went to the dealer cause I was scared about the 07 but he said not to worry, just makes sure I check my oil every thousand miles and make sure it's always where it needs to be.

It's refreshing, I don't like having spent this much on a car if I can't enjoy it! As long as I take care of it I guess im ok then, right? I always drive my car mellow, but when im on it, which is at least once a day, IM ON IT Hopefully I can continue to enjoy this car and drive it like it wants to be driven

Thanks again.

looks great!!