New guy from New York

This is a discussion on New guy from New York within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone I just got my 03 WRX yesterday. I am a mechanical engineering student transfering to RIT this fall. ...

New guy from New York

Hey everyone I just got my 03 WRX yesterday. I am a mechanical engineering student transfering to RIT this fall. I got my WRX from auction and it came with some parts that I'm not too sure about.

First off, its got a Blitz electronic boost controller that I dont know how to use yet. The car hits fuel cut? at full boost probably about 4-5k and the CEL comes on.

Another thing is the headlights on the car. They say subaru on the bottom so are they a original subaru part? Were they an option or a JDM part? Looks like HID on low beam but when I switch to high beam its halogen. Could these actually be HID, or are they just "tuner" bulbs?

Some pictures:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome

the headlights are from subaru either jdm or edm. the low beam might be hid if they installed that , and on most hid car lights the high beam will be halogen
    (kinda hard to tell from the pics as you didnt take any with the lights on low beam and or high beam).
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club!

I would look for a good dealer shop or tuner shop to take in to. Have it looked at, as the EBC might be the tip of the iceberg. There may be more things modified on the car then you realize. That could present some problems if not recognized.

The headlights, while they may be made by Subaru, they did not come stock on the a 02/03 USDM WRX (aka the bugeye).
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome to the club!

I would look for a good dealer shop or tuner shop to take in to. Have it looked at, as the EBC might be the tip of the iceberg. There may be more things modified on the car then you realize. That could present some problems if not recognized.

The headlights, while they may be made by Subaru, they did not come stock on the a 02/03 USDM WRX (aka the bugeye).
    So they must be a JDM model headlight? Did these come stock HID, or would they have to have been retrofitted by the past owner? Since they are not hid for high beam, it makes me think they were retrofitted. Or am I wrong?

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    welcome

the headlights are from subaru either jdm or edm. the low beam might be hid if they installed that , and on most hid car lights the high beam will be halogen
    (kinda hard to tell from the pics as you didnt take any with the lights on low beam and or high beam).
    ^see above^ reference

usually high beams are not HID as they take time to come to temp/intensity.
    highbeams are going to be halogen as its instant.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    ^see above^ reference
    +1

As an example, the usdm STi comes with HIDs standard but the high beams are still halogen for the very reasons Weasel has already pointed out.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

OK that makes sense. Thanks guys. Also, I was looking for the ballasts again and maybe they are built into the back of the housing. Theres an orange japanese label on the back and the only thing I could make out was HID, so I guess they really are. Thanks again

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    cool glad you resolved your jdm headlights out
    definitely makes car look
    "All We'll Drive"

Sweet looking bug eye! Now throw in a nice set of rims and painted side skirts.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!