New member - and buying WRX soon
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member - and buying WRX soon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Very soon I'll be selling my 02' BMW M3 and I'm going after a WRX. Most people may think I'm ...

New member - and buying WRX soon

Very soon I'll be selling my 02' BMW M3 and I'm going after a WRX. Most people may think I'm crazy for getting rid of an M3, but maintenance costs are ridiculous and I'm sick of every little thing costing in the thousands instead of hundreds. Charged up my credit card with $4k worth of exhaust parts and that was the cheapest I could get away with. I've got to get out of this car before it bankrupts me.

Neways...

I'm looking at going for probably a 04' or 05' WRX (not STi) - would rather pay less and have extra cash to be able to upgrade it immediately (besides I want a "project car"). Because I'm used to a good amount of HP it will be hard to go from that to a low 200hp but the AWD will prolly make up for that. I've just always wanted a car with a turbo and one that I could upgrade and put a body kit on etc etc.

I've been doing some research on my own on after market upgrade stuff - thought this forum would be the best place for advice on this.

So far I've found a Stage II upgrade kit from vinshu. Looks very sweet.

Something else I just found was the APS brand. The model SR40 with their exhaust appears to probably make this car fast enough to smoke the crap out of my M3 - though the vinshu stage II might do the trick as well. What do you think about the APS brand?

I'd like to start with adding HP to the car as soon as it's in my possesion - so I figured that probably the fastest way would be some kind of kit that gave me a bigger turbo, exhaust parts, injectors, etc etc.

Any help, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by natedog550; 08-14-2007 at 10:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.

I would recommend you test drive a wrx and an STi well, before you buy to be sure it's what you want. It's quite different from the M3.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I'll be test driving an 06' WRX this weekend.

I'm completely ready for the change. I know it's going to be waaay different but I'm perfectly fine with it.

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm 100% sure I want a WRX.

If I get a regular WRX I'll be looking at an easy 6 grand or so that I may be willing to throw at the car.

I'm just trying to figure out where I'll start first. I'm thinking maybe ECU and exhuast. I figure a kit would be easier but might actually cost more than buying individual parts.

+1 to that with TheJ.

As far as Vishnu goes, they really dont have a whole lot to offer. Back in the early days when the WRX first came out they were big but now you really dont see a lot of people with their products on the car.

A GREAT company to look at is Cobb Tuning.
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/

The majority of Suby owners have Cobb parts installed. Also do some reading up on the Cobb Access Port. ( AP for short)

APS is also a good company to look at.

P.S. I love BMW's. If I had the money, I'd sell my rex for one in a heart beat.

Thanks Subie do.

Cool thanks for the comment on vinshu.

The more I read on this forum I am seeing a lot of people talking about cobb. I'm definately going to check them out.

There are just so many brands and people's opinions involved etc etc - this is going to take a lot of research to get the right stuff. I just want the most HP possible without blowing things up and without having to swap the engine - I might be ok with an upgraded tranny.

I'm really pumped about getting a WRX - I have always wanted a turbo'd car - and AWD is a plus along with the blow-off sound. The whole time I had my M3 I never messed with WRXs or EVOs - most people upgrade them heavily and I didn't even attempt racing them even when they were trying to get me to lol.

Thanks!

EDIT: TheJ - I just saw the links you have in your sig - wow very helpful stuff. Should get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks.
    Last edited by natedog550; 08-15-2007 at 07:59 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Thank you Weasel...

BTW - I've actually decided to go for a STi instead - i figure it would be smarter to pay more up front and get an STi then pay less and then have to pay thousands to get the HP up to an STi level - plus the risk of blowing things up...

Quote Originally Posted by natedog550 View Post
    Thank you Weasel...

BTW - I've actually decided to go for a STi instead - i figure it would be smarter to pay more up front and get an STi then pay less and then have to pay thousands to get the HP up to an STi level - plus the risk of blowing things up...
    good luck man. hope you find the STi to your liking!

Thanks pTx415.

I know I will - I've been wanting a turbo'd AWD for so long - glad I'm finally going forward with it - all with a lower car payment. Can't beat that

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by natedog550 View Post
    Thank you Weasel...

I think that's a good call.
    -The J

if you're planning to race every weekend go for the subaru and obvious if you have the extra money, get the sti;
    defenately it will be cheaper to maintain than the bimmer;

if I would be in your place i'd keep the bimmer or even i'd try to get a newer m3 or maybe an benz amg;
    i have a 02 wrx and is a piece of junk, regret it since day 4 after buying it; the car is fine, everything works on it, new clutch, complete check at the subaru dealer, but i guess i had to buy it to realize that is totally what i did not want: cheap manufactured fast car with 0 personality;
    i testdrove several benzes, audi s4, etc when i was in the market for the car and, like an idiot, i made the biggest mistake; now, after only 400 miles put on the car by me i'm looking to sell it or trade it in even if i'm taking a loss;

i know after this post prolly 99% of the forum members will hate me, but this is only my opinion and should not take it as granted: if you like subaru, go for it... unfotunately I had to find out the hard way that subaru is not my style

good luck

Hi fredtga. Thanks for your reply.

Don't get me wrong - I honestly hate to sell my M3 - but $1,200 for brakes and $1,500 for Inspection Level II is freaking ridiculous. I want a car I can turn into a project/DD car. And I want a car with a turbo and that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg for normal maintenance stuff.

There's a garage kept 04' black STi (40+ year old man with family) with 30k miles on it that I'll be test driving this week. I'll know for certain after then if this is the way to go.

Regardless, I'm getting out of this M3 - I'm sick of high cost of ownership luxury cars for now.

Thank you for your honest opinion though. But that's just how it goes sometimes - someone else here could have your exact car and has had no problems whatsoever with it and possibly upgraded it to 300hp and still had no real major problems. U just never really know what you may be getting into.

I'll probably be signing the papers on my 04' STi tomorrow.

Had them run their usual used car "100 point" inspection thing. Only thing they found that needed some attention was the A/C was not blowing as cold as they wanted it to. But it's still got some warranty left so it's being taken care of.

I thought this was just a one owner car, but there was one previous owner that had it for a year that did some performance mods - and he shaved the emblems (except the subaru name on the back) and put fog light covers on the front. This second owner did the audio/video stuff.

Performance mods list:
    * Turbo XS Intercooler - front mounted - which is better top or front mount?
    * Greddy Blow Off valve - from what I'm reading on this forum I should put the stock blow-off back on?
    * JIC Magic Full Exhaust + Down Pipe - never heard of this brand
    * Cold Air intake - looked like K&N
    * Custom tuned - guy spent $300 - I gotta find out who did the custom tune and what they did.

What I'm thinking is it might be better to go with Cobb stage II instead and take all this other stuff off. I need to find out when they did this "Custom tune" if they screwed with the ECU. If so, I may have the Subaru dealership flash it back to stock then get a Cobb stage II.

What do you think? Crappy mods? It drove fine - but I don't want a crappy set of mods - I want the best stuff on this car - not some off brand just because they wanted to save a few bucks.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by natedog550; 08-21-2007 at 08:03 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Sounds like you have a good grasp of things. Make sure you post some pics.
    -The J

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.