I am NEW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I am NEW within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As dictated by members, I started a new thread. I have a 99' Corvette and an 07' Cobalt SS/SC. I ...

Banned

Talking I am NEW

As dictated by members, I started a new thread. I have a 99' Corvette and an 07' Cobalt SS/SC. I have considered getting rid of the Cobalt for a WRX or STI. The cost of Cobalt ownership keeps rising due to the car moving into higher insurance brackets. I do like the car, but not enough to justify paying that kinda $ for insurance. The Corvette only costs $550 to insure every 6 months apposed to the Cobalt which is $1,200 and rising.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the cars.

Here are some videos:
    HID Video

Cobalt Stage 2, Exhaust, and AEM CAI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAcDyZCuAew
    Cobalt and Vette
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8QDjNSZi8
    Vette
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S9Qso8C25E

The Corvette is stock other than Borla exhaust. The Cobalt has GM stage 2, AEM CAI, Headers, and Full Exhaust.

I don't know much about the aftermarket with Subaru. I have heard with a few mods a WRX/STI can get real quick. How do you think a base WRX performs to my moded Cobalt?
    Last edited by JKennedy1612; 08-10-2007 at 10:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Very nice cars. Welcome to the club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Banned
    Also, I cannot get my signature picture to load up. What's the deal? Every time I try it says unable to load image.

cool cars

Love your JL amp
    If Mittens chose to save baby penguin based on his beliefs, and Mittens' beliefs are not in his direct control, does Mittens really have free will? -Maraka

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Very nice cars. Welcome to the club!
    Thanks. How do I change the order of posts? The order is backwards...how do I switch that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JKennedy1612 View Post
    Also, I cannot get my signature picture to load up. What's the deal? Every time I try it says unable to load image.
    Yeah that function doesn't actually work. I pretty glad too because sites with pics in sig are a pain to surf from a palm...
    -The J

Banned
    Yeah that function doesn't actually work. I pretty glad too because sites with pics in sig are a pain to surf from a palm...
    HA ok...thanks for tellin' me

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    To change the post order go to User CP, Edit Options, scroll down to Thread display options, and then select linear-oldest first. Then all should be well in that regard.

As I'm sure you are well aware from a roll a Stage 2 Cobalt is a decently quick car. A stock WRX will not beat a Stage 2 Cobalt from a roll. Given average drivers for both cars it should be a drivers race at the track. Do you have a ton of tickets or something? The Cobalt should be just above the Vette to ensure with no tickets or accidents. The WRX has a better after-market than the Cobalt does at this moment. I think it's easier to squeeze power from it given that all you have to do is swap turbo's, upgrade the fuel system and then go about your normal upgrade path minus a CAI to 400hp. If you're looking into "safe" mods then stick with something like Cobb Stage 2, then P&P everything.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. How do I change the order of posts? The order is backwards...how do I switch that?
    User CP/ Options / Thread Display Mode: Linear - Oldest First

Then bookmark the links in my sig for future reference.
    -The J

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    To change the post order go to User CP, Edit Options, scroll down to Thread display options, and then select linear-oldest first. Then all should be well in that regard.

As I'm sure you are well aware from a roll a Stage 2 Cobalt is a decently quick car. A stock WRX will not beat a Stage 2 Cobalt from a roll. Given average drivers for both cars it should be a drivers race at the track. Do you have a ton of tickets or something? The Cobalt should be just above the Vette to ensure with no tickets or accidents. The WRX has a better after-market than the Cobalt does at this moment. I think it's easier to squeeze power from it given that all you have to do is swap turbo's, upgrade the fuel system and then go about your normal upgrade path minus a CAI to 400hp. If you're looking into "safe" mods then stick with something like Cobb Stage 2, then P&P everything.
    I don't have any accidents and all tickets have been fixed. The Cobalt SS/SC just bumped up to a higher insurance bracket.

How much would you need to invest in a WRX in order to bump up power output to an STI? What are common aftermarket brands for Subaru(Besides Cobb)? I hear guys talk about having a Stage 3 WRX. What does that account for?

Banned
    User CP/ Options / Thread Display Mode: Linear - Oldest First

Then bookmark the links in my sig for future reference.
    Thanks

I don't have any accidents and all tickets have been fixed. The Cobalt SS/SC just bumped up to a higher insurance bracket.

How much would you need to invest in a WRX in order to bump up power output to an STI? What are common aftermarket brands for Subaru(Besides Cobb)? I hear guys talk about having a Stage 3 WRX. What does that account for?
    To make an 06/07 WRX have the same power output as an STi should only require the STi turbo, intercooler, fuel injectors and a tune. These parts are not very expensive as STi owners are regularly upgrading and getting rid of stock parts. You could probably get better than stock power with the right tune. As far as aftermarket goes I've used Cobb stuff, and I've heard of Perrin, Vishnu, I think Bushur does some stuff for Subaru, and there's others but I'm not 100% on all the companies. I have no idea what a Stage 3 WRX is, it just depends on who sells the power package as to what's in it.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    To make an 06/07 WRX have the same power output as an STi should only require the STi turbo, intercooler, fuel injectors and a tune. These parts are not very expensive as STi owners are regularly upgrading and getting rid of stock parts. You could probably get better than stock power with the right tune. As far as aftermarket goes I've used Cobb stuff, and I've heard of Perrin, Vishnu, I think Bushur does some stuff for Subaru, and there's others but I'm not 100% on all the companies. I have no idea what a Stage 3 WRX is, it just depends on who sells the power package as to what's in it.
    So a WRX has the same internals as an STI?

What sorta $ are you looking to spend buying the STI components (STI Turbo, Intercooler, and Fuel Injectors)?

Thanks

EDIT: Didn't know you were a previous Cobalt SS S/C owner.
    Last edited by JKennedy1612; 08-14-2007 at 01:26 AM.

So a WRX has the same internals as an STI?

What sorta $ are you looking to spend buying the STI components (STI Turbo, Intercooler, and Fuel Injectors)?

Thanks

EDIT: Didn't know you were a previous Cobalt SS S/C owner.
    The WRX does not have the same strength internals that I'm aware of, someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong. It has the same bore and stroke, different turbo, intercooler, fuel injectors and of course transmission and all the other bells and whistles that makes the STi worth the ~$30k it is.

As far as the parts for the components go to www.nasioc.com and check out the for sale section and see what the going rate for these parts is. I can't see it being too bad for the whole set up.

Yep, I'm a recovering Cobalt SS S/C owner.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast