Hey!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hey! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, new user here. I have been browsing for a while (bout 3 weeks) and now I have finally ...

Hey!

Hey guys, new user here. I have been browsing for a while (bout 3 weeks) and now I have finally joined. I am about to get a WRX soon for my first car, and I am wondering your opinions about the car.

Some questions:

How is the maintenance?
    Ease of driving
    How easy is it to work on?

When I am going to be getting the car it is going to be used, preferably 2004-2005 and what would you guys say would be a good price/mileage?

Thanks,

-Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Hi Will, welcome to The Club!

First of all, I recommend you do a little searching/browsing because you will get information a lot quicker (not to mention these topics have been done to death!).

The maintainence is fairly easy. The ease of driving....well are you getting auto or manual? I learned to drive stick on my WRX and picked it up quickly. It's also fairly easy to work on, depending what your mod plans are. The 04/05 model WRXes are great cars, with an improved tranny, and very reliable. As for good price/mileage...well you should pay what you think is reasonable. '04's with an average of 24-36k miles you can find for right around $20k. '05's with an average of 12-24k miles you can find for right around $24k. Best to blue book it, but be aware that WRXes tend to hold thier value (as a car that's part of an enthusiasm community). Also, word of warning: it's not a smart idea to buy a car that has been previously modded as it's more likely to have been abused. So do some research and know what you're looking for.

Speaking of mods, here are some links to give you a little guidance:
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

Good luck on your search!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Hey!
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Welcome
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

welcome good luck on your car search
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Wlcome Good luck for a nice new ride (get a manule you wont regret it)

yes welcome -

ill second the recomendation for a manual tranny. not only is it better for you as a human being. but resale on a manual wrx is just better. there's no denying it.

the wrx was my 3rd car, 2nd with a manual, and i had no trouble getting used to its clutch. i dont know if it would be the EASIEST to learn on, but it would certainly be possible.

do your price research and be vigilant about it, im assuming your folks are gonna help you out ( i apologize if i am wrong here) but they will be much more comfortable if you show them that you have covered all the angles and arent just expecting them to do all the work. and dont say you want it just because you want a fast car that just wont work haha.

and as far as price, i got extremely lucky because i got my 06 with 2100 miles on it for $22.5k

there are loads of deals to be had but just be sure to check the car out in person,
    im confident that you would be able to find an 04/05 with less than 30k miles for less than $20k im positive of it in fact because that is exactly what i was looking for, and had found, before i spotted this 06 in my hometown and picked it up the day it was listed lol!

check autotrader, even craigslist.org, and of course these and other subaru forums.

good luck with your search! keep us posted on how it goes!
    Abram Goglanian: Photographer
    WTB: 99-03 Impreza ( RS or WRX )

Ewwww.... Myspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    ...I think they're loud enough to cause spontaneous involuntary pooping of the pants.

Yeah I am looking to get a 05 with under 30k miles for as cheap as I can get it. Unless I can get a good deal on a 04 STi with around 30k miles. What would you guys say a 04 STi with 30k miles and a new exhaust go for, 22-24k? Oh and of course a manual, is that even a question?!

Thanks,

Will

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Orion.
    What would you guys say a 04 STi with 30k miles and a new exhaust go for, 22-24k?
    Yeah, if you buy private party. From a dealer, you may be looking at upwards of $26k.

I am wondering if it would be better, performance wise to get a Impreza 2.5 and get a turbo/intercooler and exhuast system along with a 6 speed transmission; instead of getting a WRX and upgrading that. I think it would be better because of the 2.5 engine and I would have a choice on what to do regarding the turbo and intercooler and all other upgrades. All comments necessary.

One more question, if I were to get a 2.5 what would it cost to get around 350whp?

Thanks!

-Will

(still searching the forum, but what is the disadvantage of a BOV in a impreza?)

I am wondering if it would be better, performance wise to get a Impreza 2.5 and get a turbo/intercooler and exhuast system along with a 6 speed transmission; instead of getting a WRX and upgrading that. I think it would be better because of the 2.5 engine and I would have a choice on what to do regarding the turbo and intercooler and all other upgrades. All comments necessary.

One more question, if I were to get a 2.5 what would it cost to get around 350whp?

Thanks!

-Will

(still searching the forum, but what is the disadvantage of a BOV in a impreza?)
    nope the 2.5 impreza non turbo engine is not desiged to have a turbo and it wont last long with one
    -05 CGM STi Blobeye Syndicate #4
    -97 Acura SLX totaled 231k
    -95 Toyota Land Cruiser

I Support ClubWRX
    Howdy and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

hay is for horses.

J/K, welcome to dee club

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    hay is for horses.
    ... oats are for cows ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Peachypumpkincheeks

Here is the information you seek: BOV FAQ

Here are some more links I suggest you check out!
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.