New WRX Owner - Engine noise question...

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner - Engine noise question... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, new WRX Wagon owner here. Just took delivery on Tue. Black, Limited (tan interior), short throw, boost gauge. ...

Question New WRX Owner - Engine noise question...

Hey guys, new WRX Wagon owner here. Just took delivery on Tue. Black, Limited (tan interior), short throw, boost gauge. Traded in my '02 VW Jetta... looks like you guys have a pretty active community here!

Anyway, I've got a question. I'm still in the break in process so I've been applying only partial throttle and keeping the revs below 4k (trying, at least). Between 2.25 and 3k RPM, under medium load (most easily repeated in 2/3rd gear), I hear some kind of swirley swishey noise before I hear the turbo start to spool. Is this normal? I've driven turbo engines before (including the 2.0 WRX), but this is the first time I've heard this. Any thoughts? I'm taking my car back next week to get all the accessories installed, so I can ask them to take a look if it sounds abnormal to you guys...

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Welcome to the club fellow Pennsylvanian!

I do not fully understand what you mean by swirley swishey noise but the WRX makes a fair of gear whine. That kind of noise?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the welcome! Where in PA are you located? I'm in West Chester...

The noise is hard to describe... I can imitate it, but it's difficult to describe in typed text. It kind of sounds like some scraping, mixed with swishing fluids. It's definitely load dependent... kind of like a lug situation, but the car is definitely not lugging. I don't think it's gear whine...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind
    Thanks for the welcome! Where in PA are you located? I'm in West Chester...

The noise is hard to describe... I can imitate it, but it's difficult to describe in typed text. It kind of sounds like some scraping, mixed with swishing fluids. It's definitely load dependent... kind of like a lug situation, but the car is definitely not lugging. I don't think it's gear whine...
    Reading - Pottstown region. I work in northern Chesco.

Even with your expanded description I cannot say. I suppose it is best to have someone who knows WRXs to hear it. Good luck - keep us posted!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

"Swishing fluids" and "scraping" do not sound like gear whine. Gear whine sounds exactly like its name: low/high pitch whine from beneath the car, usually upon slowing down in gear or shifting to a lower gear.

Maybe you have to go to the bathroom. lol

Good luck figuring it out though!

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Post some pics of your WRX! (Interior too!)
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Weird noise

I know the noise you are talking about. My 2005 wrx had that noise periodically, not all the time. I now have almost 9000 miles on the car, and the noise has long since disappeared.I never found out what caused it, and I never asked the dealer because the noise didn't come all the time.Good luck on the car!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I drove another '06 today and I didn't hear it, so when I take my car back this week to get the accessories installed I'll talk to the techs about it. Reading around a bit, "wastegate flutter" seems to describe most the sound I'm hearing.

Car already got dirty with the rain/ice we got late this week! I'll take some pics when I get it cleaned up. The black/tan two-tone interior is awesome. I'll keep you updated on the noise...

Well, dropped my car off at the dealership today. Went for a drive with the service tech, and he said all he heard was the wastegate, and went into an explanation of the wastegates, turbo pressures, and exhausts. Apparently it's normal, what is referred to here on the forums as "wastegate flutter". Seems like with the 2.5T's (on the XT as well) this is pretty audible even in stock form. Can't wait to pick my car up tomorrow with the short shifter and boost gauge!

Incidentally, does anyone have a creaky clutch pedal (especially when cold out)?