Newbie Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got a '06 WRX on friday (2/25/06). Already probably did all the wrong things with it, for example it ...

Newbie Question

Just got a '06 WRX on friday (2/25/06). Already probably did all the wrong things with it, for example it came with the Subaru Catback on it, sounds really nice even if it doesn't add any HP. Also the says guy said there was no break in needed so I drove like it was stolen for first 100 miles till I read the owners manual ( Also it's been on some mean dirt roads (damn that was fun), and the speedo saw tripple digits before the Odometer did... Uggg

Anyways, now that you know I'm a dumb a$$ and all, here's the questions:

Can I use the Cobb ECU with a new '06 that came with the Subaru Catback? If so would I use the stage 1 maps?

Also would said use void my warrentee?

Thanks, sorry for the Newbie questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club! Be nice to your new WRX - it will be nice back.

Yes, you can use the Cobb AccessPORT with any exhaust. I recommend you do some (a lot of?) reading about it.

http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport.html
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

sounds like your already having fun! How fast did you get it up to?

Subies love dirt roads!!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

I Support ClubWRX
    Um...with the SPT (Bosal) catback you should run stg1. This will clear up the strange idle/jerky powerband issues until you flash to stage 2. Take it easier on the poor car before we hear another thread of a borked 06 tranny.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I've been up to just under 110, but not since I got a bit educated on breakin

So sold, getting the Cobb AP thingy (how's that for a techy term), stage 1 for now, might just stay there, car has plenty of pep for me as it is, but just can't resist the urge to play with it. For a data point my Harely is stage '3' (big bore kit, custom heads, hot cams, intake, exhaust, beefy springs, rods, etc...) so though I say now I'll stay at stage 1 I really don't have a good track record of leaving good enough alone

I've been a lot nicer to it, up to 4xx miles now, can't wait for 1k to roll by, hopefully by the end of the week.

Took it out in the mud this morning on the way to work, it was raining hard when I awoke, and the lovely gravel and dirt roads in the mountains behind our town had turned to mud and wet gravel. Man does this baby handle! 4 wheel drifts were rare but very controlled when they did happen. And I just couldn't help myself and on one hairpin turn (around 120 degrees, a smaller road meeting a larger one) on a mud surface I pulled the e-brake and whiped around like a pro WRC driver I'm not sure how long the paint is going to hold up by the wheels... the sides are covered in mud right now... uggg, I'm such a bad owner! I guess i better stock up on touch up paint???

But HELL I bought this baby to play, not to sit and look pretty!!!!

Thanks for the great site!

-Stu

Easy on the e-brake slides. You're only braking the rear wheels while the center diff is trying to match the speeds of the front and rear wheels.

Have fun with your car.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Hmmm good point.

Ebrake move went like this:
    1) engage clutch, lower throttle to just keep rpm at around 3k
    2) fast hard left turn of wheels
    3) engage Ebrake just for a second, was enough to brake loose rear end
    4) release clutch, apply throttle

result, rear end came around beautifully and quickly re-grabbed the ground and off I went.

This seemed like the resonable method in an AWD car.

Any advice?

I Support ClubWRX
    My suggestion to you is spend about 2-3 hours reading this forum and nasioc (unabombers manifesto over there). You are on a direct path to destroying your motor, tranny, paint, and diff. Take it easy on the car you arent a WRC driver and you dont have a WRC car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Wow if the motor, tranny and diff can't handle that, then this car truely is a POS. As for paint, **** it, easily fixed, replaced and changed on my whims. I beat the **** out of my jeep wrangler a lot worse than that, and it never had a problem for 6+ years of offroad pounding in the sand and mud.

Seriously, is this car that much of a glass tiger? If so I guess it won't be staying very long in my garage...

The clutch separates the wheels from the engine. Nothing you do will separate the center diff from the front and rear wheels, and how they are connected to each other. Well almost nothing. Keep it up and you may break a driveshaft. Then you'll have no trouble with the center diff, assuming it holds up and the driveshaft goes first.

Break a driveshaft by braking loose the rear end on a mud surface while no throttle is applied to the wheels? Are you serious? That seems mind boggling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cstuartj
    Wow if the motor, tranny and diff can't handle that, then this car truely is a POS. As for paint, **** it, easily fixed, replaced and changed on my whims. I beat the **** out of my jeep wrangler a lot worse than that, and it never had a problem for 6+ years of offroad pounding in the sand and mud.

Seriously, is this car that much of a glass tiger? If so I guess it won't be staying very long in my garage...
    It's no CJ, or AWD Supra Turbo. There are more parts underdesigned than overdesigned. The STi has hypereutectic cast pistons, which are enginerd speak for glass tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by cstuartj
    Break a driveshaft by braking loose the rear end on a mud surface while no throttle is applied to the wheels? Are you serious? That seems mind boggling to me.
    No I doubt it. But the center diff will shred if you do it with power, or on pavement. It's not a full locking transfer case, just a partial lock diff. Though I bet your tranny will be the first to go. It usually is.

Hmm, well it's all good info, and the pointer to Unabomber's Manifesto and the NASIOC site was new for me. So reading that stuff now. I don't want to directly do something to f'up the car, but I won't baby it either. Got it to play, and there are endless miles of twisty mountain roads here in all flavors... If it blows up it blows up, guess I'll have to decide then if it's worth fixing or not *shrugs*

Still, more info is way better than less! thanks for the data and keep it coming, someone may someday knock some since into me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast